Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone going to grow melons in 2014?

Posted by SouthCountryGuy SE BC 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 20:16

I am sitting here contemplating my stokes order and am seriously considering ordering the Muskmelon/cantaloupe 'Dutchess' and the watermelons 'Sweet Favorite' and 'New Yellow Baby'. Anybody else considering melons?

If my seeds come quickly I am hoping to try them under grow lights over the winter. Anyone have some bees I can borrow? LOL

SCG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone going to grow melons in 2014?

Yes we're going to give Hybrid Alaska cantaloup another try out here in Manitoba, we get our seed through Lindenberg out of Brandon.

You must have the summer heat and season to grow them outside where you are. After getting our first taste of a real honest-to-goodness melon last summer, I don't blame you for wanting to try grow lights!

Sorry, can't help you with any bees-----do you think a real soft, artist sized paint brush might work for pollination?

o

Manitoba_mum, yeah I could pollinate that way but methinks it would be much more fun to have an active beehive. Anybody can say they grew vegetables under lights but how many can say they got honey? LOL

I am hoping our summer heat will be good to grow melons. My first attempt last year failed when I failed to notice my daughters had moved the irrigation lines and the plant dried up.

Will be interesting to see how they do in containers.

SCG

o

I haven't yet planned out the 2014 garden, so not sure if melons will be part of that.

If you are going to try growing melons under lights, in my experience any of those melon/squash/cucumber/pumpkin family go leggy and weak very quickly under shop lights, no matter how close you have them to the lights. Once they germinate they surge for the light source, putting up weak, leggy growth that doesn't stand a chance outside. If you have sodium lights or something else very strong, it might be a different story. I'd take a sunny south-facing windowsill over shop lights for melons any day, but even the window isn't ideal.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 8:41

Two years ago I grew Halona melon. I got 3 or 4 melons from it but have to start it earlier inside this year. Very tasty melon. I also have seeds for Hales Best I want to try.

o

Thanks don, I have enough lights to grow nearly anything so that isn't an issue. I have a few months between time to start my annual flowers so I thought I would try a melon or two for kicks...Yeah I have both HPS, MH and T5 HO lights....I am sure my place glows at night lol...

FWIW, i was told I couldn't grow citrus under lights last year and I managed to gather one terrible orange...lol

marric thanks for the info on the melon...I will get a few seeds for them to try

o

Use the MH lights - they will promote good, stocky growth. Never use HPS for starting seedlings. T5 is OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here