Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camgardner

blue blue blue

Camgardner
21 years ago

I don't have anything blue in my flower beds.

Any suggestions?

I have full sun areas, and shade.

Novice @ gardening, desire something easy and low maint.

Also, interested in periennals for beds.

CAM

Comments (50)

• jacqui_ontario
    21 years ago

Hi Cam...you'll get lots of blue suggestions I'm sure, but here is one new to me last summer. Its a tender perennial, but grown here in zone 5 as a pricey annual. Evolvulvus glomeratus..you can easily find a photo on google images or check it out on www.floridata.com - I think in their perennials lists. Greyish foliage with a baby blue flower- bloomed all summer for me in a hot dry spot - and it also rooted easily in a tumbler on the window sill, so I won't have to buy it this spring. Jacqui

• quiltguy154
    21 years ago

Yoy can't do better than cornflowers and phacelia.

• Nigella
    21 years ago

Lathyrus sativus is a gorgeous vine with truly blue sweetpea type blooms that have a soft pink reverse.

• Micimacko
    21 years ago

tall blues: Delphinium (annual in the South), Larkspur, Acotinum (this is perennial even in Zone 8), Blue cornflower or bachelor buttons

medium height blue and perennial: Batista australis (blue false indigo), some campanulas, Agapanthus (lily of the Nile -maybe it should be mulched in Zone 7 or overwinter it in the garage)
    shorts: Nemophila menzeii is a hardy annual, overwintered for me and flowers in early sping, forget-me -not -perennial

bulbs: Muscari or grape hyacint, some of the Anemones (de Caen or St. Brigitte)

and many, many more...

• Tekwriter
    21 years ago

I get exasperated because some described as "blue" are really lavender or purple. I love forget-me-nots, iris, and flax for spring bloom, larkspur and delphinium for summer.

• schenley
    21 years ago

Needing some blue also to go with my yellow and whites, I just ordered seed from Parks for their "Blue Chrysanthemum" Heteropappus Blue Knoll, an annual that is truly blue. Hope it looks as good as the picture.

• jakkom
    21 years ago

they're probably annuals in your area, but gentian sage is a gorgeous true blue, looks fabulous with the almost fluorescent yellow-orange flowers of tagetes lemonii!

• jenn
    21 years ago

For TRUE blue (not purple, lavender etc.): Evolvulus, Salvia chamaedryoides, forget-me-nots, and Rosemary.

• jakkom
    21 years ago

If you don't get frost, cape plumbago -- that cool light blue is stunning on a mature plant/vine!

• Jajohnson2
    21 years ago

Some of the perennial geraniums are very blue. There's also lithodora and some corydalis'.

• designingwoman
    21 years ago

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides--Leadwort--True blue, new foliage bronze, fall foliage red, late-blooming (August here in the Chicago area. Terrific groundcover plant for sum or partial shade. The only drawback I can think of is that it's late to emerge, so you have to remember where you've planted it when you're doing spring clean-up. (Pest- and disease-free, too.

• wbussom
    21 years ago

Blue Flax. Blue Iris. Blue Fescue.

• ladykemma
    21 years ago

forget me nots.

• jakkom
    21 years ago

I don't know how I forgot this one since this is it's blooming season and it's looking beautiful right now: "Johnson's Blue" geranium.

• erasmus_gw
    21 years ago

Salvia guarnitica is true blue, tall, blooms spring till frost, pest and disease free but it can spread which is good or bad. There is a lot more foliage than flowers on it but so what. Hummingbirds like it.
    I think that the first flower mentioned, evolvulus, is also known as Blue Daze. I have had it in a pot and seen it in hanging baskets. Last year I put some in the ground and it did very well..always in bloom, takes heat and drought.

• gardengirl10
    21 years ago

Blue salvia..farinacea victoria, is a great flower! It blooms all summer long and the hummingbirds, butterflies and bees love it! Love-in-a-mist is another of my favorites! There's also a new "wave" petunia out in blue.

• clutterbugs
    20 years ago

i got 4 blue plumbago (looks pale lavender when picked but blue when with the leaves) they are shrubs and so pretty,all 4 areblooming and i got them on clearance at start of spring for $1 each at lowes...what a deal,they are $11 reg....i love`m.....beth in ga

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Anchusa and Myosotis (both are varieties of forget-me-not) have blue varieties. Lobelia siphilitica has a common name "giant blue lobelia." These are both perennials here.

I'm trying Borage for the first time this year. It is not perennial here, but supposed to reseed itself. Same thing with Nigella.

I would recommend buying blue plants in bloom (or growing them from seed) since so many of them are really purple.

To see plant pictures, type the common or latin name into a Google image search. You get the most views if you do both common and latin name (separately.)

• maine_gardener
    20 years ago

If you have some shade they have some really blue hostas that are small to the ex large size that looks nice also.My favorite is one called Blue Angel that gets quite large.

• ericmike
    20 years ago

longwood blue shrub

• rross
    20 years ago

There really is a flower named Lobelia siphilitica? I'd love to know why it copped that one.

• pearlgirl
    20 years ago

Aconitum, Lady Bells, Nepeta, Caryopteris.....these are TRUE light and dark blues...

• littlebug5
    20 years ago

My veronicas Sunny Border Blue were really blue this summer.

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Another suggestion if your soil is moist enough and you have room enough to support it is Salvia ulignosa. The blooms are a true sky blue, here's a picture from Hortiplex, if you click on it you can read more about it.

• Jepa
    20 years ago

Meconopsis betonicifolia - the himalayan blue poppy. What a beauty!!

• sylviatexas1
    20 years ago

Salvia Black & Blue
    Balloon Flower, can't remember the exact name, but it's blue.

• pickwick
    20 years ago

suggest the xeric Salvia chamaedryoides,an 18"x24" perennial endemic to Mexico.(flowers:sky blue)Extremely long flowering period with glaucous foliage.Seed production low,however.Turns russet red in late fall persisting through winter for an interesting effect.Cut back to groundlevel in spring...

• sunburygirl
    20 years ago

Walkers Low Catmint. Quickly growing plant to 3x3 wide, but only about a foot and a half high, hardy, drought resistant, blooms constantly from spring to frost, but in the spring it looks like an intense blue salvia on steroids. I've had people stop to ask me what it is, it's so pretty.

• susiemw
    20 years ago

There are some great pics of blue clematis in the clematis forum right now. Here is a link!

They've got me drooling!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Clematis discussion

• yeona_sky
    20 years ago

There is an excellent thread on the FAQ page of the Perennials forum which discusses blue. It is an interesting and informative read about blues and why people collect them.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Blue?

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Salvia patens is supposed to be the bluest blue..... analagis monelli...... kingfisher daisy felicia...... :)

• dirtboy58
    19 years ago

Interesting I found a "blue" posting. I just this week accidentally stumbled across a blue secret!

While shopping for Colorado natives I saw an incredibly strange plant. It had bees all over the tips and I noticed that the stems that led to it where BLUE! Yes, the STEMS! The further down the plant you went the more the blue turned to the green. There was a sign that read: "more of this plant coming July 2nd...".

Yes it's drought tolerant AND a perennial!

I'm on the waiting list for this plant! WOW!

Paul

• alison
    19 years ago

What is it?

• dighappy
    19 years ago

Stokes Aster 'Peachie's Pick" beautiful blue color and mine are blooming like crazy.

• dirtboy58
    19 years ago

Hi Alison,

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread about my new blue plant. It's called "Sea Holly" (Eryngium).

Paul

• tresbelle3
    19 years ago

Blue Lobilia is always a nice little accent plant.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

things that grow in my yard that are blue: jacobs ladder, false indigo(although it hasnt bloomed for me yet), bellflower, spiderwort, and delphiniums.

i agree about the blue purple confusion... i think that spiderwort can look bluer or purpler depending upon where it is growing... soil and water conditions effect the color, i guess.

• mysweetie75
    19 years ago

Here's my favorite blue...

• dottie_in_charlotte
    19 years ago

Sisyrinchium,Lucerne..blue-eyed grass. Blue Lyme Grass(careful..really invasive)a really nice backdrop to pale rose petunias.

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

Morning glory heavenly blue

• catherinehc
    18 years ago

Pickwick, are you able to grow Salvia chamaedryoides in zone 5? (I find it listed as Z 8 or 10)

-- Catherine

• springcherry
    18 years ago

>There really is a flower named Lobelia siphilitica? I'd >love to know why it copped that one.

It was once thought to cure it. It dosn't.

I would add echium vulgare

Springcherry

• LaurelLily
    18 years ago

I'm going through a vine phase, so my blues are backdrops for my garden. For light blue, you can use Heavenly Blue Morning Glories. For a very deep, rich blue, use Butterfly Pea Vines (I'm growing those to grow up over the wall that's behind my tropical bed).

• ankraras
    18 years ago

No one has mentioned Liriope aka Lily turf.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

Another vote for Victoria Blue Salvia, or Sage-may be listed both ways. Plants grow well and once it starts blooming it stays in bloom until frost. Your're in zone 7 AR-probably not any farther North than I am (Paragould) and it is a perennial here. I had removed some last year to clean up the bed, then left the rest-surprise, surprise-they started to grow in March when the weather began to warm up! Just beware of powdery mildew-the bed I had them in was too wet for it and they all succumbed. Will replant them next year in another bed with better air circulation. A picture to show how pretty they are:

{{gwi:713311}}

As you can see, the bees love it, too.

• pickwick
    18 years ago

Catherine;re zonal interpretations of Salvia chamaedryoides....
    my experience with this perennial plant is under zone 5 temperature ratings at an elevation of ~ 4500 feet (desert environment) with extended winter lows in the teens and single digits...Also ,I shared plants with friends further north with harsher winter conditions.I might suggest considering the integration of temperature with the imputs of precipitation and soil pH and drainage.Lots of questions...What we do know, suggested in web-based resources,is that this plant might be considered grown as a container plant beyond what is presently known about its adaptive range....(it is referred to in the Washington Post and also offered in nurseries in the Appalachia region...
    and then,I suppose, we enter the thresholds of a rather murky,and controversial debate about the promotion of non-endemics....
    Anyway,as a container plant,I would probably incorporate dolomitic limestone in your well- drained potting mix and acknowledge a winter resting stage,cut back on your water,lower the temps, ect....
    good luck

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

Sorry-link is obviously broken-reposting blue salvia photo:

{{gwi:713312}}

• erk120
    18 years ago

I love my Virginia Bluebells, really any plant in the borage family will give you blue/gray leaves and usually blue flowers. Rue also has really interesting blue/gray foliage with small green/yellow flowers. Also Bayberries have beautiful blue berries all winter long in z7 and smell amazing and very easy to grow. Can't forget the blue leaved Hostas.

• Sarah621
    18 years ago

You want blue? here ya go....
    Perennials
    Wolfsbane Aconitum
    Blue Star Amsonia
    Aster, several Aster
    *Astilbe, several Astilbe
    Belleflower Campanula
    Aquilegia Columbine
    Sea Holly Eryngium
    Gentian Gentiana
    Johnson's Blue Hardy Geranium
    Brookside Hardy Geranium
    Mrs. Kendal Clark Hardy Geranium
    Bearded Iris, several Iris
    *Kansas Gayfeather Liatris
    Flax Linum
    Blue Lobelia Lobelia
    Lupines Lupinus
    Forget-Me-Not Myosotis
    Russian Sage Perovskia
    Garden Phlox, several Phlox pan.
    Woodland Phlox Phlox stol.
    Emerald Blule Creeping Phlox sub.
    Balloon Flower Platycodon
    Jacob's Ladder Polemonium
    Meadow Sage Salvia
    Pincushion Flower Scabiosa
    Blue Eyed Grass Sisyrinchium
    *Veronica, several Veronica
    *Violet Viola

Bulbs
    Blue Giant Hyacinths
    Delft Blue Hyacinths
    King of the Blues Hyacinths
    *Giant Allium
    *Purple Sensation Allium
    Glory of the Snow Chionodoxa
    Blue Bird Crocus
    Spring Beauty Scilla
    Wood Hyacinth
    *Grape Hyacinths Muscari
    Species Iris Iris reticulata
    Blue Parrot Tulip
    *The Bishop Tulip
    *Attila Tulip

Annuals
    Ageratum Ageratum
    Aster, several varieties Aster
    Bachelor Button Centaurea
    *Mexican Heather Cuphea
    *Globe Amaranth Gomphrena
    Heliotrope Heliotrope
    Morning Glory Ipomea
    Lobelia Lobelia
    Petunia Petunia
    Blue Salvia Salvia
    Pansy Viola

Herbs
    Borage Borage
    Lavender Lavendula
    Catmint Nepeta

Hostas with Blue Foliage
    Big Daddy
    Blue Angel
    Blue Cadet
    Blue Giant
    Blue Moon
    Blue Umbrellas
    Bressingham Blue
    Candy Hearts
    Dorset Blue
    Frances Williams
    Krossa Regal
    Love Pat
    Pizzazz
    seiboldiana elegans
    tokudama

In addition to hosta varieties with blue foliage, Bachman's offers over 30 varieties with lavender or purple blooms.
    Roses
    *Angel Face - mauve floribunda
    *Blueberry Hill - mauve floribunda
    *Shocking Blue - mauve floribunda
    *Intrigue - mauve floribunda
    *Blue Girl - mauve hybrid tea
    *Heirloom - mauve hybrid tea
    *Lady X - mauve hybrid tea
    *Moon Shadow - mauve hybrid tea
    *Stainless Steel - mauve hybrid tea
    *Sterling Silver - mauve hybrid tea

Miscellaneous
    Lily of the Nile Agapanthus
    Butterfly Bush Buddleia
    Some Varieties of Clematis
    Nikko Blue Hydrangea Hydrangea
    Some Varieties of Water Lilies

Ornamental Grasses
    Blue Fescue (blue) Festuca glauca
    Blue Stem Grass (blue gray) Andropogon
    Black Flowering Sedge (blue-green) Carex nigra
    Blue Lyme Grass (blue) Elymus
    Blue Oat Grass (blue-gray) Helictotrichon
    Heavy Metal Switchgrass (metalic blue) Panicum

=)

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

If you live in areas that go below 40F, you'll have to pull these in (they're native to Brazil), but you don't get much bluer, year around, than Siccobaccatus dolichospermaticus (on the left) and Cipocereus bradei (on the right)

{{gwi:713313}}

Another suggestion, with the same criteria as above, are almost ony of the Pilosocereus, one of which has a vine growing on it below:

{{gwi:713314}}

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm