Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue blue blue

Posted by Camgardner z7AR (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 03 at 17:31

I don't have anything blue in my flower beds.
Any suggestions?
I have full sun areas, and shade.
Novice @ gardening, desire something easy and low maint.
Also, interested in periennals for beds.
CAM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue blue blue

Hi Cam...you'll get lots of blue suggestions I'm sure, but here is one new to me last summer. Its a tender perennial, but grown here in zone 5 as a pricey annual. Evolvulvus glomeratus..you can easily find a photo on google images or check it out on www.floridata.com - I think in their perennials lists. Greyish foliage with a baby blue flower- bloomed all summer for me in a hot dry spot - and it also rooted easily in a tumbler on the window sill, so I won't have to buy it this spring. Jacqui

o

Yoy can't do better than cornflowers and phacelia.

o

Lathyrus sativus is a gorgeous vine with truly blue sweetpea type blooms that have a soft pink reverse.

o

tall blues: Delphinium (annual in the South), Larkspur, Acotinum (this is perennial even in Zone 8), Blue cornflower or bachelor buttons

medium height blue and perennial: Batista australis (blue false indigo), some campanulas, Agapanthus (lily of the Nile -maybe it should be mulched in Zone 7 or overwinter it in the garage)
shorts: Nemophila menzeii is a hardy annual, overwintered for me and flowers in early sping, forget-me -not -perennial

bulbs: Muscari or grape hyacint, some of the Anemones (de Caen or St. Brigitte)

and many, many more...

o

I get exasperated because some described as "blue" are really lavender or purple. I love forget-me-nots, iris, and flax for spring bloom, larkspur and delphinium for summer.

o

Needing some blue also to go with my yellow and whites, I just ordered seed from Parks for their "Blue Chrysanthemum" Heteropappus Blue Knoll, an annual that is truly blue. Hope it looks as good as the picture.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 03 at 0:26

they're probably annuals in your area, but gentian sage is a gorgeous true blue, looks fabulous with the almost fluorescent yellow-orange flowers of tagetes lemonii!

o

• Posted by Jenn z9/19 SoCA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 03 at 12:16

For TRUE blue (not purple, lavender etc.): Evolvulus, Salvia chamaedryoides, forget-me-nots, and Rosemary.

o

Sun, Feb 23, 03 at 21:42

If you don't get frost, cape plumbago -- that cool light blue is stunning on a mature plant/vine!

o

Some of the perennial geraniums are very blue. There's also lithodora and some corydalis'.

o

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides--Leadwort--True blue, new foliage bronze, fall foliage red, late-blooming (August here in the Chicago area. Terrific groundcover plant for sum or partial shade. The only drawback I can think of is that it's late to emerge, so you have to remember where you've planted it when you're doing spring clean-up. (Pest- and disease-free, too.

o

Blue Flax. Blue Iris. Blue Fescue.

o

forget me nots.

o

Thu, Mar 27, 03 at 10:37

I don't know how I forgot this one since this is it's blooming season and it's looking beautiful right now: "Johnson's Blue" geranium.

o

Salvia guarnitica is true blue, tall, blooms spring till frost, pest and disease free but it can spread which is good or bad. There is a lot more foliage than flowers on it but so what. Hummingbirds like it.
I think that the first flower mentioned, evolvulus, is also known as Blue Daze. I have had it in a pot and seen it in hanging baskets. Last year I put some in the ground and it did very well..always in bloom, takes heat and drought.

o

Blue salvia..farinacea victoria, is a great flower! It blooms all summer long and the hummingbirds, butterflies and bees love it! Love-in-a-mist is another of my favorites! There's also a new "wave" petunia out in blue.

o

i got 4 blue plumbago (looks pale lavender when picked but blue when with the leaves) they are shrubs and so pretty,all 4 areblooming and i got them on clearance at start of spring for $1 each at lowes...what a deal,they are $11 reg....i love`m.....beth in ga

o

Anchusa and Myosotis (both are varieties of forget-me-not) have blue varieties. Lobelia siphilitica has a common name "giant blue lobelia." These are both perennials here.

I'm trying Borage for the first time this year. It is not perennial here, but supposed to reseed itself. Same thing with Nigella.

I would recommend buying blue plants in bloom (or growing them from seed) since so many of them are really purple.

To see plant pictures, type the common or latin name into a Google image search. You get the most views if you do both common and latin name (separately.)

o

If you have some shade they have some really blue hostas that are small to the ex large size that looks nice also.My favorite is one called Blue Angel that gets quite large.

o

longwood blue shrub

o

• Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 29, 03 at 3:24

There really is a flower named Lobelia siphilitica? I'd love to know why it copped that one.

o

Aconitum, Lady Bells, Nepeta, Caryopteris.....these are TRUE light and dark blues...

o

My veronicas Sunny Border Blue were really blue this summer.

o

Another suggestion if your soil is moist enough and you have room enough to support it is Salvia ulignosa. The blooms are a true sky blue, here's a picture from Hortiplex, if you click on it you can read more about it.

o

• Posted by Jepa S Finland (Z5) (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 20, 03 at 4:11

Meconopsis betonicifolia - the himalayan blue poppy. What a beauty!!

o

Salvia Black & Blue
Balloon Flower, can't remember the exact name, but it's blue.

o

suggest the xeric Salvia chamaedryoides,an 18"x24" perennial endemic to Mexico.(flowers:sky blue)Extremely long flowering period with glaucous foliage.Seed production low,however.Turns russet red in late fall persisting through winter for an interesting effect.Cut back to groundlevel in spring...

o

Walkers Low Catmint. Quickly growing plant to 3x3 wide, but only about a foot and a half high, hardy, drought resistant, blooms constantly from spring to frost, but in the spring it looks like an intense blue salvia on steroids. I've had people stop to ask me what it is, it's so pretty.

o

There are some great pics of blue clematis in the clematis forum right now. Here is a link!

They've got me drooling!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Clematis discussion

o

There is an excellent thread on the FAQ page of the Perennials forum which discusses blue. It is an interesting and informative read about blues and why people collect them.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Blue?

o

Salvia patens is supposed to be the bluest blue..... analagis monelli...... kingfisher daisy felicia...... :)

o

Interesting I found a "blue" posting. I just this week accidentally stumbled across a blue secret!

While shopping for Colorado natives I saw an incredibly strange plant. It had bees all over the tips and I noticed that the stems that led to it where BLUE! Yes, the STEMS! The further down the plant you went the more the blue turned to the green. There was a sign that read: "more of this plant coming July 2nd...".

Yes it's drought tolerant AND a perennial!

I'm on the waiting list for this plant! WOW!

Paul

o

What is it?

o

Stokes Aster 'Peachie's Pick" beautiful blue color and mine are blooming like crazy.

o

Hi Alison,

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread about my new blue plant. It's called "Sea Holly" (Eryngium).

Paul

o

Blue Lobilia is always a nice little accent plant.

o

things that grow in my yard that are blue: jacobs ladder, false indigo(although it hasnt bloomed for me yet), bellflower, spiderwort, and delphiniums.

i agree about the blue purple confusion... i think that spiderwort can look bluer or purpler depending upon where it is growing... soil and water conditions effect the color, i guess.

o

Here's my favorite blue...

o

Sisyrinchium,Lucerne..blue-eyed grass. Blue Lyme Grass(careful..really invasive)a really nice backdrop to pale rose petunias.

o

Morning glory heavenly blue

o

Pickwick, are you able to grow Salvia chamaedryoides in zone 5? (I find it listed as Z 8 or 10)

-- Catherine

o

>There really is a flower named Lobelia siphilitica? I'd >love to know why it copped that one.

It was once thought to cure it. It dosn't.

I would add echium vulgare

Springcherry

o

I'm going through a vine phase, so my blues are backdrops for my garden. For light blue, you can use Heavenly Blue Morning Glories. For a very deep, rich blue, use Butterfly Pea Vines (I'm growing those to grow up over the wall that's behind my tropical bed).

o

No one has mentioned Liriope aka Lily turf.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

Another vote for Victoria Blue Salvia, or Sage-may be listed both ways. Plants grow well and once it starts blooming it stays in bloom until frost. Your're in zone 7 AR-probably not any farther North than I am (Paragould) and it is a perennial here. I had removed some last year to clean up the bed, then left the rest-surprise, surprise-they started to grow in March when the weather began to warm up! Just beware of powdery mildew-the bed I had them in was too wet for it and they all succumbed. Will replant them next year in another bed with better air circulation. A picture to show how pretty they are:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As you can see, the bees love it, too.

o

Catherine;re zonal interpretations of Salvia chamaedryoides....
my experience with this perennial plant is under zone 5 temperature ratings at an elevation of ~ 4500 feet (desert environment) with extended winter lows in the teens and single digits...Also ,I shared plants with friends further north with harsher winter conditions.I might suggest considering the integration of temperature with the imputs of precipitation and soil pH and drainage.Lots of questions...What we do know, suggested in web-based resources,is that this plant might be considered grown as a container plant beyond what is presently known about its adaptive range....(it is referred to in the Washington Post and also offered in nurseries in the Appalachia region...
and then,I suppose, we enter the thresholds of a rather murky,and controversial debate about the promotion of non-endemics....
Anyway,as a container plant,I would probably incorporate dolomitic limestone in your well- drained potting mix and acknowledge a winter resting stage,cut back on your water,lower the temps, ect....
good luck

o

Sorry-link is obviously broken-reposting blue salvia photo:

o

I love my Virginia Bluebells, really any plant in the borage family will give you blue/gray leaves and usually blue flowers. Rue also has really interesting blue/gray foliage with small green/yellow flowers. Also Bayberries have beautiful blue berries all winter long in z7 and smell amazing and very easy to grow. Can't forget the blue leaved Hostas.

o

You want blue? here ya go....
Perennials
Wolfsbane Aconitum
Blue Star Amsonia
Aster, several Aster
*Astilbe, several Astilbe
Belleflower Campanula
Aquilegia Columbine
Sea Holly Eryngium
Gentian Gentiana
Johnson's Blue Hardy Geranium
Brookside Hardy Geranium
Mrs. Kendal Clark Hardy Geranium
Bearded Iris, several Iris
*Kansas Gayfeather Liatris
Flax Linum
Blue Lobelia Lobelia
Lupines Lupinus
Forget-Me-Not Myosotis
Russian Sage Perovskia
Garden Phlox, several Phlox pan.
Woodland Phlox Phlox stol.
Emerald Blule Creeping Phlox sub.
Balloon Flower Platycodon
Jacob's Ladder Polemonium
Meadow Sage Salvia
Pincushion Flower Scabiosa
Blue Eyed Grass Sisyrinchium
*Veronica, several Veronica
*Violet Viola

Bulbs
Blue Giant Hyacinths
Delft Blue Hyacinths
King of the Blues Hyacinths
*Giant Allium
*Purple Sensation Allium
Glory of the Snow Chionodoxa
Blue Bird Crocus
Spring Beauty Scilla
Wood Hyacinth
*Grape Hyacinths Muscari
Species Iris Iris reticulata
Blue Parrot Tulip
*The Bishop Tulip
*Attila Tulip

Annuals
Ageratum Ageratum
Aster, several varieties Aster
Bachelor Button Centaurea
*Mexican Heather Cuphea
*Globe Amaranth Gomphrena
Heliotrope Heliotrope
Morning Glory Ipomea
Lobelia Lobelia
Petunia Petunia
Blue Salvia Salvia
Pansy Viola

Herbs
Borage Borage
Lavender Lavendula
Catmint Nepeta

Hostas with Blue Foliage
Big Daddy
Blue Angel
Blue Cadet
Blue Giant
Blue Moon
Blue Umbrellas
Bressingham Blue
Candy Hearts
Dorset Blue
Frances Williams
Krossa Regal
Love Pat
Pizzazz
seiboldiana elegans
tokudama

In addition to hosta varieties with blue foliage, Bachman's offers over 30 varieties with lavender or purple blooms.
Roses
*Angel Face - mauve floribunda
*Blueberry Hill - mauve floribunda
*Shocking Blue - mauve floribunda
*Intrigue - mauve floribunda
*Blue Girl - mauve hybrid tea
*Heirloom - mauve hybrid tea
*Lady X - mauve hybrid tea
*Moon Shadow - mauve hybrid tea
*Stainless Steel - mauve hybrid tea
*Sterling Silver - mauve hybrid tea

Miscellaneous
Lily of the Nile Agapanthus
Butterfly Bush Buddleia
Some Varieties of Clematis
Nikko Blue Hydrangea Hydrangea
Some Varieties of Water Lilies

Ornamental Grasses
Blue Fescue (blue) Festuca glauca
Blue Stem Grass (blue gray) Andropogon
Black Flowering Sedge (blue-green) Carex nigra
Blue Lyme Grass (blue) Elymus
Blue Oat Grass (blue-gray) Helictotrichon
Heavy Metal Switchgrass (metalic blue) Panicum

=)

o

If you live in areas that go below 40F, you'll have to pull these in (they're native to Brazil), but you don't get much bluer, year around, than Siccobaccatus dolichospermaticus (on the left) and Cipocereus bradei (on the right)

Another suggestion, with the same criteria as above, are almost ony of the Pilosocereus, one of which has a vine growing on it below:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here