Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindainthesnowbelt

Lilies, Lilies, Lilies

There is no flower in this hard zone 4 in which I live, that gives more to the garden than the lily. They grow and blossom with minimal care, produce flowers of up to 14" in diameter, with heavenly scents. And ask nothing, but a well drained soil.

Comments (109)

• Lee S. McDonald

Hello,
    I am going to plant Lillium Pumillum AGAIN ! I always loose the darn things...almost immeadiatly. I an able to grow quite a few differnt Lillies well. This one escapes me. I would appreciate your suggestions.
    Best Regards,
    Lee McDonald

• Jean (IN Zone 5)

Whenever the weather is hot and dry, the stems of my Asiatic lilies turn brown quickly after blooming. I've planted Anemone x hybrida (2-1/2' - 3'tall) and late-blooming astilbes around them to camouflage their stems. I have 'Montreaux' (deep pink), Mont Blanc (white)in a bed with other perennials and Oriental lilies 'Casa Blanca', 'Hot Lips' and 'Stargazer', which bloom later than the asiatics. In another bed I have asiatic 'Enchantment' (bright orange), 'Merrispring'(peach/white), and butterfly lilies 'Peach' and 'Orange' Butterflies. The orange 'Enchantment' lilies glow during the day and can be seen all the way down the block.

• jody

I too have become addicted to these beautiful flowers. This will be my third season growing them so I have alot to learn. I'm in zone 5 and can hardly wait to see how well last years lilies survived this dry winter.

• SUe C

Hey!
    Can I join? I just went out after yesterdays snow and planted about 80 lilies-asiatics, orientals, longiflorums, ambrosias and Columbia-Plattes.
    L-O-V-E 'em all! I'd love to try some of the species type.
    Sue

• Paula PA/Z6

I love lilies, too, especially Madonnas. They look great with blue delphiniums. I like to cut the flowers for bouquets being sure to leave at least two-thirds of the stem to rejuvenate the plant for next year. Anyway, I keep seeing articles saying NOT to cut them at all, or if you do, don't expect to have them back next year. I'm primarily talking about the orientals. What do you all do about cutting your lilies for bouquets?

• Louise z5 MI

I cut em, like you said, taking as little stem as possible. They have always come back fine.

However, there are a few varieties that do not cut well. Firecracker (a bright red) will start turning maroon immediately, and I was disappointed last year when I cut a Marseille and it got little brown spots. It is so beautiful in the garden, though!

• Maddie

I just started my garden Summer of 96. This year I wish to start planting Lilies. Any suggestions as to the hardiest for this area, feeding etc. I'm anxious for the weather to clear to start planting. What is the earliest suggested to put them in? Should I time-space them, like with daffodills?

• Kirk Johnson Zone9 Oregon

Maddie, you didn't say where you live or what zone. Lilies never really stop growing, so you plant them all at once, you don't plant them every couple of weeks like gladiolus.

• Carrie Muhr

I received an easter lily, repotted it last week and it's dying - leaves are turning yellow and falling off. What am I doing wrong? I just read some info. from the local university (Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada) that said not to plant lilies outside here - it's too cold and you won't see them living the next spring. If I keep them in pots inside do you have any tips. I'd also like to buy a tiger lily that I saw in the flower shop, any suggestions for caring for it?

• Alta (northern mb Z2)

Carrie,
    Easter lilies probably aren't hardy in Regina. For garden lilies, grow the asiatics. I live north of you and find them absolutely hardy and reliable- not sure how many different kinds I have, maybe sixty or so. Anyway, I think you will find it easy to grow these lilies. They're probably available in a good garden centre now although it really is better to plant them in the fall. I don't know what happened to your easter lily- it really should be still green and growing. Did you let it dry out completely, or maybe it got soggy and rotted? Lilies need good drainage. The tiger lily (is it lilium tigridum?) would be completely hardy for you though I like the asiatics better.
    There are many lilies that will be happy in the north. Try some and see!
    Good luck.
    Alta

• cristy conley
    26 years ago

My tiger lilys produced seeds last year and I harvested the seeds, put them in a box outside and left them. I live in zone 7. This FEB. I planted them in seed starter and they are growing. Now my problem is I don't know what to do with them. Do I leave them in the planter until Fall? Do I go ahead and plant them? What will they like the best? If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Please E-mail me because I found this site in a search and will probably not be able to find it again.

• Judy
    26 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Martagon Lilies? I live in zone 4 and have tried getting them started without much success.

• Darla Broady
    26 years ago

We have a wedding coming up in just before Easter. We are doing the floral center pieces in a tall 21in vase using Casablanca Lilies and roses. We purchased a double lily to experiment with but had trouble encouraging the bud to open.
    Any suggestions.
    Many thanks Darla

• barb
    25 years ago

All the books say day lillies require little care. So
    why don't mine bloom? They were large clumps which I
    divided when I moved in. They did well the first year,
    but haven't bloomed since! They have vigorous folliage
    growth, but this is the second year with no blooms. I
    live in zone 4. We are surounded by pine trees.

• Nadine
    25 years ago

Barb - It has always been MY experience that daylilies do require little care. It's possible that they're not getting enough sunlight. Try posting in the perennials forum for more & better answers (I think I remember others posting with this same problem).

• Pidge
    25 years ago

This is an amazing thread and does what I like tothink the web ought to do--just keep it rolling for more than a nanosecond! Anyway, I have litlies of various kinds--the martoagon are taking just forever to get established but I continue to be patient (it's been three years), the 'Casa Blanca' blomed with astonihing fragrance for about three years but has disappeared (prbably drainiage problems)--as for daylilies, which are a whole different species, I have the best luck ever--probably because you would have to dirve a turck over a daylily many, many times to get rid of it!
    Pidge

• Judith McLauchlan
    24 years ago

I have a customer looking for an 'Orchid Lily'.For many years she grew it as a houseplant in Ontario. She says it resembles a small, pink amaryllis and blooms for a long time.
    Does anyone know this plant. Is it a lily species? An Orchid? Without a name I am lost.

• marlene
    24 years ago

I am looking for info re.common name,, Belladona lily, also known as naked lady lilies, and fromal name is Amaryllis belladonna. really interested in any info, history, and especially myths or folklore, or any meaning associated with this flower.

• Shorty
    24 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to grow yellow day lilies from seed ?

• pat hart
    24 years ago

i too have a great passion for lilies. never tire of them and add to them every year.they grow well in my zone 4 canadian garden.day lilies are my interest now. nothing seems to detere them. pat.

• Betty
    24 years ago

Does anyone know where to buy asi-florum hybrid bulbs.Thanks, Betty

• mindy
    24 years ago

I wish to grow lilies comerically. I have only small experence 300 bulbs. would like information on diseases and problems when growing ..I have experenced no problems and just think it's luck. If you can point me toward books or pamlets. It would really help me.. thanks ps.note lily info in subject matter of e-mail please....

• Eileen
    24 years ago

It's funny, I've always admired Lilies, but just grew a few. Then I went to Michigan in August last year and went nuts! I couldn't believe how beautiful and what wonderful color....in August! I knew I had to get more of them because here in Illinois things can get a little dull come August.

So, this year I ordered:
    2 Lily 'African Queen'
    1 Lily 'Scherazade'
    3 Regal Albums
    3 Golden Splendors
    3 Casa Blancas
    1 Smokey Mountain
    2 Flourish
    3 Muskadettes
    3 Dotted Swiss
    3 White Merostars
    3 Black Dragons
    1 Allegretto
    3 Taj Mahals
    1 Catherine the Great
    With the exception of Casa Blanca and Black Dragon, I've never grown any of these before and can't wait to see them. They are all Orientals, 'Orienpet', Trumpets, and Aurelians and supposedly all August bloomers, at least I hope so. I plan to place them behind other somewhat shorter plants, so just the flower heads show...at least if I can find the space! Ha-Ha!

Eggads! I'm never going to get my husband to believe it only cost a few bucks! :-)

Oh well, can't wait for them to bloom!

Eileen

P.S. Would love to hear some of your favorite Orientals, Trumpets, etc.

Eileen

• Lillian
    24 years ago

I have been looking for the perfect lilie for a special tatoo that i want. i saw an oriental bouquet on (garden.com) a while back which i found very interesting yet it needed maybe a touch of cala lilies to make it a complete bouquet.
    If any can put together a couple of bouquets and take pictures of them, not too much enough to make it look expensive & elegant for an example (wedding) but in a bouquet i would really appreciate it, please send me an e-mail.
    Thank you.

• Kathy
    24 years ago

I live in Stockton Calif. How do or where do I plant my Easter Lilly's & care for them.

Please help

• Helen
    23 years ago

Kathy,

I am in Zone 7 and I planted mine in well drained soil - just dug a hole and placed potted plant in. They had buds on them still when I planted them and they are still blooming. This was my first time planting them, but everyone tells me they will come back next year - they just don't multiply like other lilies do.

Hope this helps and that it's not too late.

Helen

• Michelle Rodriguez
    23 years ago

I do not know what zone I am in,I do live in Central Texas. I bought a potted Easter Lily around Easter. The leaves keep turning yellow. It seems to refuse to grow. I keep it indoors because it gets over a 100 degrees in the summer. How do I get the flower to bloom?

• Faith Ann
    23 years ago

We recently moved from North Carolina to a Minneapolis suburb. In NC the medians on the "beltline" highway around Raleigh were loaded with spectacular beds of huge, bright, red-flowered perennials that I believe were Canna Lilies. My guess is that they were at least 3 feet high, maybe more! (Hard to tell from a car!) I'm wondering whether I could grow those plants in a raised bed in Minnesota. Can anyone enlighted me and give me a clue about the characteristics of the plant, blooming season, height, width, hardiness, preferences ... and a good source for purchase. If Canna isn't a good choice, any other suggestions? I have my heart set on LARGE and RED! Appreciate any assistance.

• lupine
    23 years ago

LILIES ---LOVE THEM--- I have orange appledorn& electric in my HOT border and sterling star in the part- shade border along with lennox, berlin,milano,mont blanc elf& montana -in the pink bed its casa blanca,mediterranne,pink paradise,Montreal,&Monte Rosa.In the Yellow bed its golden splendor trumpet lily with siberia oriental and citronella lilies I have a small red border and I have planted ELF LILIES red pixie and Kiss lily SPHINX they are awesome!!! THE ONLY PROBLEM here in New England we have the LILY LEAF BEETLE -A HORRID CREATURE! watch out all you lily growers in N.E keep an eye out for this beetle- BRIGHT RED nasty little bug.

• barb
    23 years ago

My lilies are my favorite for the sunnier area's of my garden, as you said what can be give you such beauty with so little care. The same holds true of the hosta in the shady garden, beauty and little care.

• rosegirl7748
    23 years ago

I love the Oriental Lilies and Asiatic lilies.They are so good for mixing in a cottage garden.This year I added Trumpet Lilies and they are in full bloom now.What a sight among my shrub roses.I also planted Black Beauty and Rbrum lilies which open in August and September.I cant wait to see them open.I hope I dont get addicted to lilies like I am to roses and perennials.

• Per U
    23 years ago

Howdy ! Am hoping that a lillieholic like yourself (or anyone), might be able to direct me to info on the "Sacred Lilly of India" (I believe the $10 name is Amorphorpholum (or A~pholium?)). Have been told "its a close cousin to Jack-in-pulpit" & "vase-like flower is huge (4 foot tall flower)". Planted the bulb today & am hoping that your advice will keep my thumb GREEN. (Planted in good Iowa soil in the shade of our grove-Zone 4).
    Thanx! Sincerelillie!! Per Untiedt

• Marianne
    23 years ago

Hi folks; I started with a small raised circular garden (4') into which I planted nothing but lilies. They were so beautiful, that I now have lilies almost everywhere around my house.... sun - shade - dappled shade - they all do well even though some are reaching for sun. My favorite is one which I brought from my previous home up north but I don't know its name. Can anyone help ? It stands about 6' tall, is a light mauve & has a WONDERFUL smell. It was planted by a previous owner so I don't have a clue as to its name or variety.

• Micky
    23 years ago

There are just some flowers that hook you and become a collectors dream. Daylilies, lilium, roses and phlox are mine. Except for the roses, which I must work hard to maintain, the others are so easy. Lilies take a little longer to naturalize but do and each year become more and more beautiful. You can plant the little brown bubils on the stems of some asiatics or carefully brush away the soil from the base of the stem of your lily and remove the little bublets there and plant, or if you're are not in a hurry, you can be patient and wait for the plants to do it themselves.

• Elaine
    23 years ago

I received what I know as a "Peace Lilly" in a small pot. It is an indoor potted plant. I need info. as to when and how to re-pot it to a larger pot as it was sent to me after a death in my family and I would like to keep it. I would apperciate info. on this and advice on it's care. Thanks Elaine e-mail mmerfse@prodigy.net

• bgv
    23 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of a company called Ednie that wholesales or retail lillies. Thanks

• pam
    23 years ago

has anyone ever heard of something like a glacier or glazial
    lily? supposedly their HUGE, white and very fragrant. any help is appreciated for my coworker who's landscaping her new home!

• Theresa
    23 years ago

I was given two lilies this spring which I planted. I don't know the name of this variety. One produced a flower of deep burgandy, and the other a bright orange. The flower itself was so perfect it didn't look real! It's petals were thick and waxy, almost feeling like plastic. They only lasted about a week. I don't know what to do with them now that winter is coming. Do I take them out of the ground? Cut them back? Someone please help me!!! I appreciate it!

• Robin
    23 years ago

Theresa,
    Usually I cut down the stems as soon as they turn brown.
    Sometimes I leave the stems as a marker so I don't accidently dig them up in the spring planting maddness.
    You should be able to leave them in the ground with no problems. I live in zone 5-6 and always leave them. As long as you(they) have good drainage

• NANCY
    23 years ago

I have now 3 or 4 Stargarzer Lilies. I started with 2. I live in Zone 5. I leave them in for the winter, but am wondering what I do with the stems, they are now all brown. Do I cut the entire stem now or leave until spring? Also, how do I divide, would love to be able to put some elsewhere in this garden? They are beautiful!

• Aneta M.
    23 years ago

I am looking for Lilies of the Valley. Does anyone know of
    an on line shop that sells them? I would appreciate any
    help I can get!

• Cathy Conway
    22 years ago

Lilies are the greatest--and my favorite is Casa Blanca. This year, however, all of mine bloomed with a yellow streak down the center of the petal instead of pure white. Does anyone know what caused this? We had a wet spring, and then it turned very dry, though I tried to keep them watered.
    Also, when should I divide my Asiatic liles?
    Thanks much,
    Cathy

• Bobbi
    22 years ago

I too love lilies. They make wonderful campanions for other plants. Here is a golden stargazer with Russian sage.

• Burnie
    22 years ago

Have some daylilies and oriental and asiatics. Would like to know if there are any others that flower again? My oriental and asiatics are nice and bloom for a few weeks but then its over. I've cut them back about a third and thought maybe it would encourage new growth. Thanks for any information regarding second blooms. Lincoln Star

• Pat 552
    22 years ago

Does anyone have information about a Voodoo Lily? They are big and purple. My neighter has some and gave me a bulb. Thanks

• Will
    20 years ago

This is one old post. Just wondering, if you're still around, how the lilies are doing?

• donnaskinner
    20 years ago

I have several different colors and varieties. Love the purple, and have dark yellow-gold very tall ones too. We bought them along with the normal size bright yellow ones, thought they were all the same. also have dark rust red colors too. Love them.

• Mvespa
    20 years ago

Did anyone notice the year this thread was started - whoa!

• Annie
    19 years ago

I live in nothern Mn,zone 3. can I leave my Canna Lilly
    in the ground for the winter,or does it have to be dug up???

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Apparently someone added some new spam to an OLD thread (which has obviously been removed.) Wow, I mean old. Glad the spam's removed, and how cool to see such an old discussion still kicking around. It's even formatted differently. (Putting a fake email addy so this post doesn't cause me to get MORE spam.)

My favorite lilies are Lycoris and the Asiatics, like Stargazer.

Sponsored