Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan46

Best privacy screen?

dan46
17 years ago

Hi, I have an eyesore on one side of my property, and I plan to use an evergreen. I have 4-5 feet between my driveway and my property line, so I plan to use emerald green aborvitae. I live in the northern part of alabama, zone 7-8, and would like to know if this tree would do good in my area? Also, if there would be any other trees or scrubs 15 to 20 foot that would be a better choice?

Comment (1)

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

I am not sure how wide the Emerald Green grows, but don't forget that your neighbor on the other side of your property line may not appreciate having branches grow into his space - he may not care, and he may get very bent out of shape about it, whether or not he even sees the spot. Some see it as a matter of principle - "My property is MY property" - and others don't care - so you might want to check. You don't necessarily want to be constantly pruning your side as well, if it starts growing out into the driveway.

The Sky Pencil holly won't get very fat (max. of 12-18"), but you might need too many of them to make a solid screen to make them a good choice. I have seen a variegated euonymus (don't know the varietal or cultivar name, but it is evergreen - well, ever-green-and-yellow - in Landrum SC) that seems to grow as you need - tall and skinny, about 3'. There are probably others that won't get wider than the 4', but I am not sure what they are. Do look CAREFULLY at the mature width of whatever you decide on - and don't just rely on what the nursery person says, since they aren't always as knowledgable as they should be. It may not matter for 8-12 years, but it WILL becoem very important. Of course, if you won't be there in that length of time, and you don't care what the new owner does, never mind me.

If you are willing to so some shearing, and your neighbor is OK with growth on his side, there are lots of prssibilities - check out the list of plants for screens and hedges in the front of the Southern Living Garden Book. The other option would be to put up a trellis and grow evergreen vines on it - any of the ivies comes to mind (even though I would pick one of the not-too-rampant varieties), Clematis armandii, Carolina jessamine, confederate jasmine, some of the honeysuckles, etc., etc., although you WOULD have to trim them back a bit to be sure they didn't grow over the drive.

Sponsored