Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Plant

Posted by ShaqFanColette_34 Southern Cal. (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 04 at 22:31

I've had my pineapple plant, "Mel", for about 5 years now. I started him by cutting off the top (about 1" below the green top) of a Hawaiian pineapple I bought at the store and just set it in a clear tupperware type bowl, water filled over the fruit part and kept it in a sunny window sill in Hollywood. I did change the water every couple of days, and roots just started to appear. The green spikes were growing in the middle as well which surprised me. I used some good potting soil and it just kept growing indoors. Now, living by the beach, I've kept Mel outside - and within one year (and a large pot) I've gotten my first pineapple!! It's about the side of a baseball now. Was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take to mature, how I remove it, and how well is Mel going to take these winter months now - even though it rarely gets below 50 degrees?? Thanks in advance for any help... :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Plant

You may want to try the Bromeliad forum as pineapples are of this family. I do believe that like most bromeliads after they bloom, the mother plant will shoot some side shoots or "pups" then eventually die. Don't know if your plant will fully ripen for you, but it is said of pineapples that they don't continue ripening after they are picked, so you want to make sure it's ripe when you pick it. Look for yellow color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here