Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legacy5_gw

What's Your Favorite Morning Glory??

legacy5
22 years ago

I'm in love with morning glories. I've only grown Heavenly Blue and White Moon Vine. What's your favorite? What has the largest bloom? Is there one that stays open longer than others?

Debbie in East TN

Comments (19)

• seedsower
    22 years ago

I love Blue Silk. Rose Silk is beautiful too. Sunrise Mix is awesome. All the ones I named stay open late into the day. Variegated foilage as well. I LOVE morning glories and am also on the lookout for ones I havn't grown! Blue Silk produces flowers as large as my hand.

Sandy

• Cynthia_c
    21 years ago

I saw a mailbox with flying saucer type on it, it was beautiful!

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

WHhen I first came to this forum I thought there was only one kind,you know thoses true blue ones ,the one that remind me of common scence.,well live and learn.I planted some of thoses this year also with some purply-pink ones and some white ones well none my favorites came up just the other two wonder if some ones trying to tell me some thing.DONT WORRY -BE HAPPY or maybe ITLL ALL COME OUT IN THE WASH,

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

I like them all

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

I've grown "Heavenly Blue", "Flying Saucer" and "Scarlet O'Hara"... next year I've going to do "Grandpa Otts" which is my personal favorite.

We are in Zone 5 so morning glory is not a "perennial" but I grew up in California where you could grow them all year round. The girl in the apartment next door had taken string and attached it from the fence to her roof so she had a morning glory patio roof... very very cool!

• Wildflower_GA
    21 years ago

One vote for Heavenly Blue, of course grown with the Moonflower Vine....mmm what a great smelling flower in the evening!!!

• babzclare
    21 years ago

I like ones that BLOOM!!! I am still waiting for mine to bloom(heavenly blue)I do see the buds as 'large' as a pinhead but they are taking their sweet time. You know how a watched pot never boils? well a watched glory never blooms is my motto these days... : )

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

Babs I have the same problem with Moon Vine... they grow and grow like crazy but they never do anything pretty! What gives?!?!?

• ebang
    21 years ago

I have that problem with my moonflower too...no flower.

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

Grandpa Otts and Kinola's Black. I like deep colors.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
    The morns are meeker than they were,
    The nuts are getting brown;
    The berry's cheek is plumper,
    The rose is out of town. - Emily Dickinson

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

Ebang, thank you I thought it was just me LOL.

Fireraven, you've got my interest piqued... I'm off in search of seeds for Kinola's black!

Holly

• Nigella
    21 years ago

I love I. acuminata, and if you can keep it from touching the ground it's wonderful, lol. Otherwise, see the post about the worst gardening experience.

{{gwi:714151}}

• babzclare
    21 years ago

Oh nigella-THAT'S what I'm waiting and waiting to see on my trellis. VERY pretty!
    Ebang and Butterb.-LOL I had no problem growing moonflowers!
    I guess that's why I am insulted that my MG won't bloom. : )

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

Well Babs... if its not one thing its another LOL.

• Greenthumb
    21 years ago

For anyone who is having problems getting their morning glorys to bloom, you probably have planted your MG in too rich of a soil. MG like poor soils. Too rich and all you will get is leaves. This is also true for moon vine. Fairly poor, dry, soil is the key to spectacular morning glory vines and flower production.
    Mike

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

I don't know what it is called, but there is someone growing one on a street I pass a lot- the stuff is growing up a telephone pole, and in the morning it is like a huge blue pillar. SO pretty.

• mscarlet
    20 years ago

ButterbeanBaby...I planted Scarlett O'Hara seeds this year. I am glad to see that in zone 5 your were able to as well. I am DYING to see what this one looks like. So far I have yet to even see anything come up. I planted them about 2 1/2 weeks ago. With this yucky weather I am wondering if I will even see these at all this year.

• minigrannie
    20 years ago

Does anyone know where Blue Silk morning glory seeds can be purchased? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Sylvia

• Jackie McCarty
    20 years ago

i like kinola's black also.

Jackie/STROBE

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz