Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Can any one tell me how many species of peony we can find in U.S. and orginal where they come from?

Comments (105)

• Paula

All peonies (including tree peonies) need lots of sun. Also, the main reason they won't bloom is if they are planted too deeply. A little fertilizer in the spring and they don't really require much else. They resent being moved somewhat, but if you can gently raise them up a bit that would probably help (as long as it is sunny).

• Steve Gordon

We recently bought some peony roots and want to put them in. It's early March in New Jersey and we can't seem to find any information on when we can put them in. Is it OK to plant them now?

• Paula PA/Z6

Steve, all the catalogues only sell peony roots in the Fall. I'm not sure why they should not be planted in the Spring. Maybe someone else knows. Paula

• Sue C.

I've been reading some of the catalog descriptions of peonies, and it seems like quite a few of them are either scentless or lightly scented.
    Which peonies are noted for the most fragrance?
    Sue

• Sue C.

I've been reading some of the catalog descriptions of peonies, and it seems like quite a few of them are either scentless or lightly scented.
    Sue

• Walter Good

Dear Sue You find in the old french peonies a lot of fragrant peonies.

With kind regards

Walter Good

• Walter Good

Dear Sue

One of the best fragrant peonies is Paeonia rockii, also called 'Rock's Variety'. This is a very fine tree peony, with wonderful white blooms with dark blotches at the base of his petals and a fantastic fragrance. Try to get it at Reaths Nursery, Vulcan, Michigan.
    With kind regards.

Walter Good, Switzerland

• Sue C.

Thank you, Walter. I was beginning to think this question would go unanswered.
    I am happy to know that there are some tree types peonies that are fragrant. I've never seen them mentioned as other than beautiful to behold.
    Regards,
    Sue

• Walter Good

Dear Steve

You asked if you can plant peony roots in spring. Peony roots are growing in the fall and early winter. This is the time to dig them up and plant in a new place. In spring they are growing with their leaves, stems, buds and flowers. In this time they dont want to be planted. There is one exception: In Europe most of the peonies are sold in containers with soil. Peonies in container you can plant during the whole year.

With kind regards

Walter Good

• Walter Good

This is the correction of mail. Sorry

• searl

I was interested in this topic as I live in Indiana and to me peonies have always been a reminder of home. They make me think of Indiana. Are peonies a relative to the rose? Walter--I haven't noticed your name here before, welcome--if you have been here before, hello from a newbie. Thanks for the information about peonies.

• Paula

All peonies (including tree peonies) need lots of sun. Also, the main reason they won't bloom is if they are planted too deeply. A little fertilizer in the spring and they don't really require much else. They resent being moved somewhat, but if you can gently raise them up a bit that would probably help (as long as it is sunny).

• Steve Gordon

We recently bought some peony roots and want to put them in. It's early March in New Jersey and we can't seem to find any information on when we can put them in. Is it OK to plant them now?

• Paula PA/Z6

Steve, all the catalogues only sell peony roots in the Fall. I'm not sure why they should not be planted in the Spring. Maybe someone else knows. Paula

• Sue C.

Sue

• Sue C.

Sue

• Walter Good

Dear Sue You find in the old french peonies a lot of fragrant peonies.

With kind regards

Walter Good

• Walter Good

Dear Sue

One of the best fragrant peonies is Paeonia rockii, also called 'Rock's Variety'. This is a very fine tree peony, with wonderful white blooms with dark blotches at the base of his petals and a fantastic fragrance. Try to get it at Reaths Nursery, Vulcan, Michigan.
    With kind regards.

Walter Good, Switzerland

• Sue C.

Thank you, Walter. I was beginning to think this question would go unanswered.
    I am happy to know that there are some tree types peonies that are fragrant. I've never seen them mentioned as other than beautiful to behold.
    Regards,
    Sue

• Walter Good

Dear Steve

You asked if you can plant peony roots in spring. Peony roots are growing in the fall and early winter. This is the time to dig them up and plant in a new place. In spring they are growing with their leaves, stems, buds and flowers. In this time they dont want to be planted. There is one exception: In Europe most of the peonies are sold in containers with soil. Peonies in container you can plant during the whole year.

With kind regards

Walter Good

• Walter Good

This is the correction of mail. Sorry

• searl

I was interested in this topic as I live in Indiana and to me peonies have always been a reminder of home. They make me think of Indiana. Are peonies a relative to the rose? Walter--I haven't noticed your name here before, welcome--if you have been here before, hello from a newbie. Thanks for the information about peonies.

• Andie Rathbone Mo/Zone 6A

Peonies originally came from China and the mid-east. They are extremely long-lived. Plants have been known to have lived for over 100 years, They are realtively easy to grown, but can be finicky to start. They like full sun and well-drained, moisture-retentive soil. They do not like to be moved, so baby them where you plant them. They are beautiful cut flowers and a welcome addition to gardens in this part of the country around Memorial Day.

• Robert A. Faulkner
    26 years ago

I have been raising Tree Peonys for several years with tremendous success in the bloom. What most growers do not know is that they need to be planted DEEP. This is exactly opposite of the Herbaceous variety, which do terrible when planted deep. If you have a grafted variety, plant the graft at least 4 below the surface. This way, the piece that is grafted can develop roots and will eventually send out new shoots which will turn your one-stem Peony into a huge bush in a few years. Otherwise you will only ever have just the one stalk and never many blooms..

• Joshua Scholten
    26 years ago

I want orange peonys.
    Also i need yellow peonys.

If you have these peonys for me, then e-mail me soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Joshua

• Joshua Scholten
    25 years ago

Dear Walter,

What do you know about the Golden wheel?

Do you know strong peonys for cutting of flower?
    with a high production,early blooming(may-june).

I have a company at home with 3 acres of peonys.
    Each year we sell 250.000 peonys for cutting of flower.

Also i am searching for contact with other people with many peonys, or
    people with special peonys who are strong,yellow or orange.

Many thanks Walter.

Joshua frome the netherlands

• therese gmyrek
    25 years ago

Peonies in Massachusetts, yes indeed. This is convoluted so hang in there. My peony was given to me by my mother. She got it from her mother. The blossoms are huge-white with the trace of red in the center. Anyhow, quite a while ago I attempted to pickle a bunch of herring. The project failed, so I dug a hole and deposited the herring into it, and forgot all about it. When my mother gave me my grandmother's peony guess where I planted it. It's been there for 45 years. It brings to mind the method the native Americans taught the pilgrims how to grow corn---one herring under each hillock of corn. As I write, its covered with about 40 buds. I have to go to great leangths to support the bush, and it is glorious when in full bloom.

• John Broughton
    25 years ago

Just a note to let you all know how much I enjoy this page. I have learned a lot and am learning more with about two years of tree peony experience in Michigan
    under my belt. The two tree peonies that I have planted have both bloomed and I'm adding 4 more plants this year. I have planted them 4 to 6 inches deep and have amended my clay soil with sand and a little composted peat. So far, so good.

• byron boswell
    25 years ago

Will it be ok to transplant peonies in the spring? And how will it affectits blooming this year?

• Pat from Sioux City, IA
    25 years ago

I have grown peonies for 15 years. I first dug them up in the last fall afther the first hard freeze and then planted them in my yard. I have transplanted parts of each plant every few years in the spring before April 15 and they alway bloom just fine in the same year.

I just moveed in December and I had the opportunity to dug up my bulb this last week to transplant them in my new yard.

• Sheila Boyd
    25 years ago

Wow what a lot of information about Peonys. I didn't know that there was scentless peonys what a ripoff that's why I bought on It doesn't bloom much and no scent. began to wonder if it even WAS a peoney. Maybe I'll buy a new one thanks for the help sheila

• Lily
    24 years ago

I received several Peonies in plant exchanges last fall. Some of them that were sent in large chunks have buds on. Others don't. I think some varieties bloom earlier than others. I have had good success with early spring planting, before sprouts get more than an inch or so.

Janet
    My friend had a Peony where temperatures got over 110F. She planted where it got shade during the hottest part of the day.

Your main problem is going to be getting enough winter chill in zone 8/9. I would keep it in a pot and leave it in full sun, except in mid-summer and then put it in partial shade. Then in winter, I would pile ice cubes around it. Not sure how many days of chill they need. Maybe someone else may know.

• L. Chang
    24 years ago

I planted a peony two years ago and last year it didn't even come up. Luckily, it did this year. It has several buds and hopefully it will bloom. But one question--- are the ants
    that are covering the buds supposed to be there? I thought I read somewhere that they cause no harm to the plant and that they should be left there. Can someone tell me whether or not to get rid of them? Thanks.

• Janet NeeseIllinois
    24 years ago

Hi L. Chang,

Leave the ants there. They will not hurt your peonies one bit. We have some that
    are over 100 years old, the ants chew at the buds, to get a sweet like nectar, which in turn helps the
    bud to open. Some people say this isn't true, but watch them sometime you will see that it is. Also don't cut your peonies back until
    they turn brown in the Fall this will set them back, and cause them not to bloom three or more years.

We have transplanted from late Summer to late Fall, and never had any problems with getting blooms the
    next year. They should be divided every two or three years.

I have read that there are varieties of peonies in China that are 300 years old. Now those are some tough plants....

• Julie
    24 years ago

My husband and I just moved into our new home this past winter. Spring has introduced us to many delightful surprises in the yard... 3 peonies have grown up in a 3'diameter circle. Apparently they were mowed down to nothing last fall? There are MANY buds appearing and we want to take care of them. Any suggestions on what we should do for these plants, and when?
    TIA
    Julie in NY

• Ken Sagen
    24 years ago

Great information. I discovered an old peony languishing near an abandoned farm house. Rescued it from ultimate demolition in June of 1996. It fell into several pieces as it was pouring down rain during the rescue. I was concerned that it would not live at all as my mother had always told me that peonies must only be transplanted or divided in the fall. I took my chances anyway and managed to get 4 new bushes out of the 5 that I planted and they all bloomed profusely in spring 1997; there was no set-back.

I am hopeful that someone can help me identify this peony. Its foliage is 30" tall by about as much around. It is a reasonably early bloomer...early to mid May in Eastern Kansas. The blooms are 6 - 7", single, white with prominent yellow center and very fragrant. It looks like an over-easy-fried egg when fully open. It is very hardy, somewhat subject to botrytus (sp?). Does anyone know the variety?

• Tracy Goffin
    24 years ago

3 yrs ago I bought 12 or more Peony from my local Walmart. There were dark and light pink and red varieties. I dug twelve holes across the front of my lawn(leaving appropriate spacing between) to make a nice low - informal hedge in the spring. The red variety didn't survive, but the pinks came up the next spring and I even got a single bloom that first year. And I've never fused over them one bit - just a little water every now and then. I can't remember when I planted them, but I think it was middle to late summer. They come up a bit later than most of my neighbor's(they are all over my little town), but they have filled out nicely and bloom profusely. Quite a beautiful and fragrant little hedge. When I get around to it I plan to put a picket fence behind them for a back drop. I may also try the red again - they must be a bit harder to start.

Tracy

• Lynn Foster
    24 years ago

Hi
    I just found this forum today and I can't believe how friendly
    and helpful you all are!
    I love peonies!
    In fact I had one in a pot for 2 years til we were finally able
    to purchase our own farm. I went to put it in a nice sunny place
    in my flower garden and completely broke the top off. Oh I was
    so mad at myself for that. It is a double pink peonie and has yet
    to flower.
    I went ahead and finished planting what was left of my poor peony
    (broke down to the dirt level) and to my surprise there is little peony
    stems poking up out of the ground! YIPPEE! I didn't kill it!

We just moved here in October and the place was and is over run with thistles.
    We are having a heck of time beating them.
    Anyway, along the front porch hidden in the weeds I found 4 peonies!
    I dug the weeds up and accidentally caught one of the plants and cut it.
    Gee I am not having much luck this year. I put it in a rooting solution and place it
    in another part of the yard but it doesn't look good. With any luck at all now that
    the weeds are gone the other three will do good. They are on the west side of the house
    so they get all the afternoon sun.
    Sorry to have rambled on so. Thanks for this great forum!
    Lynn

• Carla
    24 years ago

My next door neighbour has a beautiful deep red double
    peony. At least I think it is a double. When this peony is
    in bloom, it scents the whole yard and smells wonderful.
    Unfortunately, my neighbour cannot remember the name.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I would love to have one in my
    garden, also.
    Thanks
    Carla

• Suzanne
    24 years ago

I live in South Australia in what is termed a temperate Mediterranean climate. I love peonies but unfortunately I have not had any luck with them. I have planted them in the ground and in a flower pot. The leaves grow lovely but the flowers are rather scarce. It is quite a few years that the peony in the ground flowered. The one in the pot has never flowered. Do peonies prefer a sheltered position? The one in the pot was in the direct sun and our summers can get very hot. I look forward to receiving any advice. Thanks!

• artis
    24 years ago

I too am waiting for my peonies of 2 years to bloom--I'm going to try the bone meal in the spring and see if that will work. When I lived in IN--I had 4 large plants that didn't need any attention--except cutting them for their beauty and fragrance, and to bring them into the house. They'd been in the ground for more than 20yrs. I was told by the company I bought my new plants from it could take 3 years before they bloom. Maybe next year! Thanks for all the info.

• Laura -z4
    24 years ago

Suzanne - unfortunately I don't think you'll have much luck with peonies in a Mediterranean climate. They need cold in the winter. Having thriving peonies is the trade-off, I guess, for living in Minnesota with only 120 frost-free days per year!

• Sherry Halvorson
    23 years ago

Really enjoying reading about everyone's flowers. We have peonies on the place that have been here almost 70 years. Some are pinkish-white and some purple.

We had to have a new septic tank put in and they dug through my plants. Nothing left. I thought they were gone forever; however, in the spring while mowing I saw what I thought might be little peonies popping up along the top of the drain line. I dug them all up and planted them.

That was 5 years ago and I have 7 healthy prolific bloomers and am ready to split some to plant elsewhere.

I am wondering if these old variaties have a built-in toughness? Location is NE Iowa.

Sherry
    Iowa

• george lake
    23 years ago

is any one interested in starting a propagation/exchange for the different varieties of peonies that we might have? I live in wis. and a lot of peonies were planted on old farmsteads-some which the buildings are gone but the peonies are growing right up thru the weeds. I have asked a couple of farmers if i could dig up the bushes and now have about thirty of these in all varieties and colors. if any one would like to exchange e-mail me as i am looking for different colors and varieties.
    tnx--george

• jasmine hu
    22 years ago

here is a link about care for peony. I just planted one peony this year. I bought it as potted plant from lowes with a bud on it. It bloomed. Very beautiful.

Where other plants in my yard got pests, this peony is trouble free so far. I guess I will plant more esp tree peony. So it will not die back in winter time.

but I will avoid perchasing bare root of tree peony before I have more experience. I found at least two places in metro DC area selling potted tree peony.

http://goldenport.com/peony/pcare.htm

Also I found out the price listed on this website is too high. If we could organize together and order 500 bare roots of tree peony directly from China, we only need to pay 10 bucks for each. SIgh.

Here is a link that might be useful: care for peony

• jasmine hu
    22 years ago

Here are some links related to peony species. Lots of good photos.

http://goldenport.com/ -- best source for tree peony.

http://www.peonies.org/ -- more focus on herbaceous peony which is more popular in USA.

http://www.peonyland.com/

have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony

• gloria
    21 years ago

This is so funny, my friend just throws them in the ground, no special care, and they bloom like crazy.

• Woodsy
    21 years ago

This has been a most informative thread. I live in Western PA, and have grown peonies for about 20 years..my oldest plant being about 60 years old.
    Some tips I have found useful are:
    *I make sure not to plant the roots very deep
    *I do not place any landscape fabric, mulch or rocks anywhere underneath the plants
    *I water with a water soluable fertilizer the entire summer..for I find that this helps build HUGE blooms for the next year
    *I cut down all the dead foliage and discard in Nov or Dec
    *I have divided in both spring and fall. In the spring, I divide as soon as the little buds poke their head up out of the ground, and just divide like a hosta. In the fall, I just spread the leaves, find the most comfortable place the shovel fits, and slice away. If the plant becomes stressed, it will take an additional year to bloom..but continue to feed!
    The majority of my peonies are the heirloom deep magenta pinks that smell of heaven.
    Woodsy

• laura
    21 years ago

Hi,
    This is a very good link. I like tree peonies. I was told sea kelp is a good fertilizer. You can foliar feed with this or dig a four inch deep trench around the root line of the plant and fill it with compost. They also like fish emulsion. I understand that fall is the best time to plant because this allows the roots to get established. If the roots are not established they can not support the top growth and this will kill the plant. I did plant some cheap tree peonies from Walmart in the spring and they all died. This does not mean they can not survive in the spring. If I had it to do again I would leave them in a container and plant them in the ground in the fall. You just have to make sure they get enough water. Tree peonies do better in morning sun and afternoon shade. The flowers will last longer. If in full sun you can protect the flowers with a golf umbrella in the afternoon. Tree peonies do not have the ants because they do not have the sweet nectar. The ants do not hurt the buds they are just eating the sweet nectar. My understanding is to plant tree peonies (the graft union) 4" deep and herbacious peonies 2" deep. Also the tree peonies do well with some protection from the wind such as taller bushes or a wall so the wind will not destroy the flowers. The flowers only last about 2 weeks, but they are the most gorgeous thing especially in the morning dew.

Thanks,
    Laura

• laura
    21 years ago

I found this website. I think it is the same Walter Good that answered some of the questions earlier. Check it out.

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Inhalt the world of peonies walter good

Sponsored