Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the longest you have searched for a particular plant?

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 11:15

I know every gardener must experience this at some point: spend hours, months, & even years searching for that special addition to your landscape. & when it is finally there, you undergo a supernova of excitement, pride, & gratification. My moment happen just within the hour.

When I was 13, my parents went on their anniversary trip to northern Arkansas. Despite the fact it was during school, they made me go with them (the reasons are stupid & crazy, but I'm not going to explain unless someone really wants to know). On our way back home, we stopped at a small business on the side of the road in Clinton. They were selling stepping stones, which my mother wanted to look at. While my mother drooled over what they had & wishing we could afford to buy "just a few", my dad & I wandered around. The elderly man who owned the place asked us if we liked apples. He lead us inside the tiny building where bushels upon bushels of apples sat. I didn't recognize their color. I tried to identify them & nothing was really fitting the bill. The man's wife came from the back & told us they were Arkansas Black apples. Of course, we have never heard of them & had to try them. We bought 5 (yes, I specifically remember how many we bought, because I ate every single one of them & only let my parents have a bite or two). Even though every one of us utterly LOVED them, I wasn't allowed to keep the seeds to possibly grow a tree of my own. A few months later, my grandmother asked me what I wanted for Easter. I cracked a grin & told her an Arkansas Black apple tree. My parents threw a fit over that, & I was denied once again (plus several more times after that). Seven years later, I am finally able to get my Arkansas Black apple. For the past three years I have been searching for them...& I finally found a guy who is close enough for me to drive to. Whether or not he will still have them when I am able to leave the house is a different story, but the fact remains I FOUND THEM!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the longest you have searched for a particular plant?

Hey, I read this before but got distracted before I could respond. Congrats on finding those apples! Have you actually hooked up yet?

When I lived near many places to buy plants, I would have these moments often but I have definitely had one recently. About 10 years ago I had a Streptocarpella plant that I LOVED but killed it over winter. I've always looked for another when plant shopping but have never seen one. Finally found one from someone who wanted to trade plants. Got the Streptocarpella and a LOT of other cool plants too.

The GW member exchange pages aren't the easiest to search, but with a little effort, might be worth it sometimes!

o
RE: What is the longest you have searched for a particular plant?

Oh, yes! The next day we drove 50 miles to the place selling them. It is a small nursery, but this guy has just about everything. If he doesn't have it, he can get it for you. I'm probably going to call him again today & see if he was able to get the cherry trees we requested. (By the way, I got all of the Arkansas Black apples he had hehe)

In the short time I've been a member here, I have gotten a few seeds from my wish list doing trades. I was also lucky to find some that I have been looking for on the garden hoard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here