Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cranebill

Your favorite quick lunch and beverage?

cranebill
19 years ago

The intensive gardening season will soon begin in my Zone 6 region. Experience has taught me that itÂs sometimes hard to make myself break for lunch, and that itÂs important to keep hydrated (especially when the weather really starts to heat up).

I was wondering what you other obsessive garden workaholics like to eat when your blood sugar has plummeted, your stamina has broken, and you become too weak to haul a bin of compost or wield a shovel.

Here are my quick and easy lunch favorites. When thereÂs still a chill in the air, a toasted cheese sandwich on 7-grain bread and a bowl of tomato soup, and a cup of Irish breakfast tea. When itÂs warmer, dill or roasted pepper hummus on a garam masala (Indian spices) flat bread layered with sprouts, and maybe a green or herbal tea. When itÂs really hot, a garden tomato sandwich, and lots of liquids all day: lime or lemonade, iced herbal of caffeinated teas, spring water from the fridge or a drink right from the garden hose and sometimes, near the end of a productive day, a nice bottle of India pale ale or other hoppy beer. As garden snacks become available, I can always crunch on radishes or a carrot, or a green pepper with a little salt to maintain electrolyte levels.

How about you all? What do you eat when you just have to take that midafternoon "lunch" break or faint? What drink braces you or slakes your thirst?

Thanks,

cranebill

Comments (3)

Sponsored