Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hjaa

What's your favorite online database and/or software?

hjaa
19 years ago

Was wondering what everyone's favorite online plant database and/or software package is and why. :)

Comments (5)

• kathicville
    19 years ago

Howdy.....When you say plant database, do you mean like Floridata or Hortiplex? I use both occasionally, but I'm usually more intrigued by the online germination tables! Thompson-Morgan's can be found on-line. Plus Tom Clothier's garden site has loads of info on getting things started. Missouri Botanical Garden's search engine comes up in posts frequently (www.mobot.org). There are also some huge daylily databases online if you're willing to wile away hours drooling over the pictures!.....

Some of the nursery catalogs are great, too, for info. Plants Delights is often mentioned, especially for unusual varieties.

Of course, I usually head first to the GW forums if I've got a question, and then scoot to the other sites if I can't find what I'm looking for here. Fine Gardening magazine has a forum set-up ("Over the Fence" at www.taunton.com), much smaller than GW, but I check in there, too, if I'm looking for hands-on advice. They have some regular, very knowledgeable posters who can often nail a question pretty quickly.

• pickwick
    19 years ago

I stumbled across this site fairly recently and found it to be a good launching point for pursuing topics and ideas.My deepfelt thanks for the volunteer efforts of Teresa Magee,site manager and plant ecologist.
    http://www.peak.org/~mageet/tkm/eolenv.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the above

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

To learn about a particular plant - I go quickly to plantsdatabase.com and do a general search - they also have an Advanced Search - if you know the exact species you are looking for and want to reduce the results returned.

A web search using google.com - and their Images Search also usually provides satisfying information...and brings you to some great plant info sites. I waste alot of time fo,llowing up on these sites!

I am also interested in finding Freebie software to help manage my plant list. A search last year didn't really help. Will check back here later - to see if something gets listed - so thanx for asking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search for a particular plant or plant type

• pickwick
    19 years ago

well gee,thorspippi...you must realize that eco- model systems are temporal and the THEME of "edible" plants must involve uptake studies of heavy metals per the individual species,where they tend to accumulate, where they are grown,as well as how these toxins accumulate over time. Rather difficut when you get into fringe food sources.You might find some interesting uptake studies at the Washington State Heavy Metals Site and the link sited below for examples..... I am rather alarmed that I see interest from younger people because toxins(including plant alkaloids) may have a different physiological impact on their developing bodies than mature healthy adults....
    http://www.plantstress.com/Articles/Index.asp ->Mineral Deficiency//MineralToxicity

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the above

Sponsored