Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

Favorite 'Spring-thing'

mamabirrd
20 years ago

Well, even though Phil didn't pull through, I have the beginnings of spring fever. I can't wait to put my pansies outside. I long to plant cool season crops. I want to open the pool and put all my tropicals back on the deck. I'm anxious to get my hands dirty and clean out all the gardens. Getting the edging done would be great. I really want to get the ponds cleaned out. Isn't it time to decorate for Easter yet? So many different projects to do. I'm so tired of working indoors and getting out into the gardens won't come a day too soon. What are some of your favorite things to do to "celebrate" spring.

Comments (11)

• nita1027
    20 years ago

Simple things, really--walking through my garden with a cup of coffee while looking around to see what has poked its "nose" up out of the soil...

Trying to decide whether or not I really want the next garden structure I have planned.

Planting...Planting...Planting...

Nita

• moogies
    20 years ago

Buying new garden gloves...
    Planting annuals in the warm spring sunshine...
    Hiding Easter Eggs for the kids...
    The smell of freshly mown clover...
    Watching all the spring bulbs magically appear...

We try to do at least one day trip in the spring down to the Hill Country - love those wildflowers!!!

• springcherry
    20 years ago

Weeding the front garden while waiting for my ride to work.

This is pitiful, I even miss -weeding-.

Springcherry

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    20 years ago

I have many specimen trees in the gardens that I keep small by judicious pruning. I always wait until I see the first sign of budswell to prune. Each tree starts at a different time, so I sort of savor the pruning jobs one by one. I'll be checking on them often beginning around the first of March. For me, that's the beginning of spring outdoors.

I also have about 100 bonsai trees in various stages of development that need repotting, most of them every year. I normally start on those around the first of March as well, but I usually tend to that chore in the garage.

Can't wait! I think I'm more anxious for spring to arrive this year than I have been in quite awhile. Don't really know why, but I'm sure looking forward to it.

Al

• ankraras
    20 years ago

We will be adding more plants for our little feathered friends. Often I can't help wonder if there will be more
    hummingbirds in our garden this year. Making Honey do List and all that good stuff!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• Colleeng
    20 years ago

I have to agree with Nita. I just LOVE to go out in my yard in the morning with my coffee cup. I love to see everything perk up after a long hard winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

• growlove
    20 years ago

Hi mamabiird, I just looked at your page and can see you are a dyed in the wool gardener. When you build your greenhouse make it large. We have had a small one for 35 years and it is so full we can hardly move to water. Am growing daturas and brugmansias from seed so need more room as I transfer them into larger pots. I love the same things every gardener does come Spring. Every May I have a plant sale so dig 600 or more plants for my regular customers. The long winter is over,tulips are growing, mertensias have buds, hosta tips are showing, what could be sweeter than a walk every day anticipating the beauty unfolding around us. Mary

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

Watching the bulbs bloom!

• donnaskinner
    19 years ago

I really love those first few spring mornings when it is warm enough to sit out on my screen porch, coffee in hand (cup) smiling because things are finally turning green and flowering trees, are. Scratching off lottery tickets with the prize of $10,000.
    Oh, did I mention daydreaming? Thats the lottery part.

• gradymom
    19 years ago

Like Nita, I go around the yard several times a day - sometimes staring at a seemingly bare patch of soil until my eyes adjust to the lilies of the valley just starting to poke up - I love how just one warm sunny day will bring out the blooms on the violets. I also love keeping tabs on the little garter snakes as they start "hanging out" in the same places, not to mention all the nest building going on!

• Sachis2112
    19 years ago

Birdies nesting in my attic above my bedroom. I wake up to the babies chirping every morning. Love it...

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner