Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irises

Posted by doowad z6 MO (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 04 at 10:19

My grandmother had the most beautiful irises, a decades-old patch that spread out under the tire swing I would play on when I went to the farm.

The first year they rented out the farm, the white-trash tenants mowed the irises to the ground until they were killed out.
Fortunately we kept some of them, but the vast majority were lost.

In the house we just bought, I had to do major excavation of many plants (which I will add to the hated thread), but found that the lady who let evertything just go crazy had actually quite a bunch of irises and we are looking forward to the iris blooms under the deck this summer, our first in the new house.
Our church also has some nice iris patches which I think our perfect for churches and other low-maintenance gardens, twice-a-year cleaning and once-every-two-years thinning and you are well-rewarded.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irises

I love irises too. This patch of iris was already established when we moved here 18 years ago. There were also other colors in different areas of the property. We have divided them through the years and now have them all along the roadway of our property. EP

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 16:07

Lovely photo, enchantedplace! I have very similar irises of an unknown variety, given to me for free by my gardener who was dividing up an entire garden of overgrown irises for one of his regular clients. I was expecting a couple of dozen and he left me over 200 rhizomes. Since we have small properties here in the San Francisco Bay Area, I had to give several bagfuls away, but still had lots to plant.

I love these irises. Not only are they evergreen but they bloom at least twice a year, plus they are just super tough under all possible conditions. Amazing, beautiful plant and I really wish I knew the name of it.

o

Beautiful picture. The older I get the more I love them.

o

That IS a great pic, enchantedplace! Those are my fav. irises, too, the purple bearded ones. I have a big swath of them along a fence where I can't dig because of buried cable & elec. wires. A perfect place for them, since we just lay them on the surface to 'plant' them. Should be enough for the entire fence length when I divide them in '06.

o

• Posted by hag49 Tx z8a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 19, 04 at 23:16

This weekend I had the good fortune to find an iris that is breathtaking. It's the most gorgeous peachy/pink w/a coral beard. I have never seen anything like this one. I wish I knew what it was because I'd love more. I only got 2 slithers so it may take a LONG time before I have a patch....
Hilary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here