Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Siberian Elm

Posted by bungalow_mikee z10 CA (emailthis@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Mar 18, 04 at 12:24

I thought I liked this tree, but it was so villified under the least favorite tree. I did find out that there were many seeds to be picked, but it has been at my new house for years (and the previous owners were not the greatest caretakers). It has NOT gotten out of hand.

Here's the problem. If I trim much of the branches back, it will deprive my garden of much needed shade. I'm planning to put a Japanese Maple underneath it as well as some other shade loving plants... C. Japonicas..

Should I just leave it as is for now until I figure out a enclosure or some other shade solution. It is on the fence line on my neighbor's side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Siberian Elm

I would certainly like to join the ranks of those villifying the Russian elm. I spend a great deal of time digging them out of my fences and other awkward places. On the other hand, I recently read a post about a man who was using them a xeric hedge.
Also, out here on the Navajo Reservation, we're glad to see anything green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here