Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_tn_

Favorite night blooming plants

Bill - Tn.
25 years ago

Could someone tell me what are favorite night blooming plants, and the best source for them? Would like the name of the more common varities, and those easy to cultivate. Thanks.

Comments (29)

• Tara - 5
    25 years ago

Moon lily vine is my favorite easy, nightblooming plant. I also like white, grey and silver plants to enjoy at night.

• Marcie - 5 Chicago area
    25 years ago

Oenothera Missouriensis, also known as Ozark sundrops, or Missouri primrose, is a night blooming perennial. It likes sunny dry areas in the yard. The flowers are 4-5 inches, bright yellow, and they are only open for one day, but they keep on flowering all summer! They grow about 12-14 inches high and about 2 feet wide. You can start it from seed, or ask your local nursery if they can get it for you if you don't see it anywhere. It is a beautiful plant and it lives forever! I also like to grow Ipomoea Alba, annual Moonflower. It is a vine. They can reach heights of 10 feet. They have a nice scent too. Big, pure white flowers. It is best to soak the seeds of all Ipomoeas before planting them because of the very hard seed coat. You can also try Mirabilis, Four-o'clocks. They grow to be about 3 feet high and up to 2 feet wide. All different colors, and a nice scent, the flowers open at four-O'clock in the afternoon all summer. These are annuals in our part of the world. They also like full sun.
    Well, there ARE more, but those are my favorites. I hope you try at least one, and if you do, let it be the Missouri Primrose, it's the easiest plant to take care of once it's established. Good luck and have a great growing season!!!!

• Sheila Boyd - 5(utah)
    25 years ago

I have a question I want to plant some sweetpeas I know that they will die out when the full summer hits can I plant moon flower in the same space there by utilizing the same stake up ect? I'd be planting them at the same time.
    Thanks
    Sheila

• Sue - 24
    25 years ago

I've had this cactus looking thing for years and it started blooming a few years ago....huge white flowers...similar to epiphyllums but much bigger and fuller. They open in the evening and the flowers wilted by the sun the next morning. I finally found out it's a cereus. The plant itself is quite awful looking, its about 10 feet long leaning on my fence and grows in a fairly small pot. When it's putting out flowers, I invite people over to see because it's so amazing.

• Joan - 4
    25 years ago

Hi Bill
    I have grown 4 0'clocks and have had great success with this annual. It opens its flower late in the afternoon (hence the name) and it stays open most of the night. I got it off the seed display at the local store. The other great thing about this plant is that the seeds are large,black seeds about the same size as a peppercorn. I have harvested the seeds in the fall and planted them up the following spring.
    Haven't planted any in a few years but I seem to remember them having a pleasent scent. Hope this helps
    Joan

• Clairabelle - 4b
    24 years ago

BTW Joan, you can dig up the Mirabilis jalapa carrot-like tubers late in the fall and store them like glad bulbs until the spring. I've been doing this for 3 years now, and they just keep going and going!
    As for the seeds, there are so many (!) that I ususally give them away to neighbors and friends.
    And Bill, you have GOT to try Four O'clocks. Their perfume is heavenly!

• Mignon - 7 - NC
    24 years ago

About four o'clocks: I remember them as a child. Loved 'em. Planted some from seed this year, but near a bird feeder, so at 2 sets of leaves, it's hard to tell the 4 o'clock seedlings from the birdseed. Can you describe the seedlings? The variety of 4's I planted is mixed - do different colors of 4's have different-looking leaves? There are 3 seedlings that resemble sunflowers. The rest have rounder, darker leaves.

• Donna in Montana - Zone 3
    24 years ago

Evening Primrose... You can watch them open up (around a minute or so) and the fragrance is a mild gardenia.. and there's a little miller type insect that looks something like a hummingbird that is there before you can say "Doesn't that smell heavenly!".. I've grown four-o-clocks for years.. They smell terrific and so do Nicotiana! That's another terrific plant!!! In the evenings I love going on the "down wind" side of my veggie garden (flowers planted in there as well) and let the breeze push the fragrance over my way... mmmmm, I can hardly wait!!!

• peggy - 5a
    24 years ago

moonflowers are very easy to grow, they are a cousin to the morning glory (a weed here in IL that farmers spray for- so that tells you how easy they are to grow)They have a strong perfume when they open at night. But, alas! Each bloom only lasts one night and then dies

Here is a link that might be useful: Sancho's Macabre Garden

• Chris - Australia
    24 years ago

Cestrum Nocturnum-aka Night Scented Jessamine is my favourite night bloomer. It's a largish shrub, growing about 3-4 metres, with small tubular light green flowers.
    It's perfume is amazing-more like something that comes out of an expensive crystal bottle than a flower.Very rich and exotic. We have one planted on the N/W corner of our house, and on a Summer evening, the scent of night scented jessamine fills the entire house.
    But be warned-if you are prone to migranes, this may not be the plant for you...and don't plant it under your bedroom window.The perfume will keep you awake all night!

• alison - 8
    24 years ago

One more...evening-scented stock (matthiola)

• Marilyn C - 9
    24 years ago

Night blooming cereus, moon flowers, and night blooming
    waterlilies. Love four oclocks too.

• barbara
    24 years ago

I have to agree with Chris - Cestrum Nocturnum would have to be one of the best night flowering plants - perfumes the whole garden.
    I used to grow it when I lived in Sydney 20 years ago - roots easily from cuttings.
    Moved to an area of heavy winter frosts. Have tried a number of times to grow it under different conditions (under cover, etc.) but it never survives winter.

• pam
    24 years ago

i would like source for obtaining seeds cuttings or plants
    for night blooming cereus.I had one of these while living
    in florida and would like trying them here in ohio thanks.

• jeanine
    23 years ago

Ok now dont take my word for it but i just ordered a flower that is suppose to glow in the moonlight. I dont really know yet if it is a really good night plant or if it glows really well, but im really excited to see. I cant say its my favroite but it sounds pretty cool to me. You can find it at http://chatlink.com/~herbseed/gizhome.htm you should be at a place called strictly medicinal herb seeds. From there go to index and growing guide then look up lavender hidcote. They have a bunch of requirements to start them out so I suggest you take a peek about them. Well good luck I hope I helped

• Kelsey california/illinois
    22 years ago

I have a friend who has this, and she gave me some, and ever scince, it's been one of my favorites: night blooming jasmine (sorry if the spelling is wrong!)

• Corley 7
    22 years ago

Where can I find or buy night-blooming jessamine/jasmine? Please recommend nurseries, both brick and mortar and online. This is my all-time favorite plant, closely followed by bird-of-paradise. I adore them both!

• kelmcwalk
    21 years ago

I live in zone 9 in California and am looking for sources for night blooming plants. I recently purchased 2 night blooming Jessamine and would really like to add to them. I would greatly appreciate any and all responses.

• ankraras
    21 years ago

I have good luck growing Sansevieria. The flowers open toward sunset emitting their heavenly scent. They are easy to find in garden centers, department stores and even in grocery stores.

Supannee
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• SusanC
    21 years ago

Osmanthus Fragrans, "Sweet Olive", is beautifully, stunningly fragrant at night. -It blooms here in winter when not much else is happening...

Here is a link that might be useful: Osmanthus Fragrans -Sweet Olive

• ned_rag
    21 years ago

I planted Evening Primrose & Nicotiana around my patio, the fragrance is sooo pleasing every evening. I didn't realize this when I planted them, because when I sniff the flowers up close, I couldn't detect any fragrance. Now, every evening, as soon as the sun goes down, the waft is enchanting!!!

• kelmcwalk
    21 years ago

I was wondering when the Jessimine blooms? and the pholx

• yacheryl
    21 years ago

I love going out in my yard at night and soak in the wonder smells.

Brugmansia -Charles Grimaldi - I can't think on one flower/plant
    that comes even close to this plant. The bloom are georgous
    and the scent is over whelmingly heavenly.
    It blooms for 3-5 weeks at a time.

Dombeya's - I have a white and a pink ball. The pink smells like
    sugar cookies baking and the white has a sweat gardenia scent.
    Blooms Nov to Apr/May.

White brunfelsias

These are just a few I have in my yard that haven't been already mentioned.

Also leaves of plants crused at night, give off a wonderful fragrance
    -- The alspice tree, anice plant, cardamom ginger, dahlburg daisy, etc.

• Dswan
    21 years ago

Mirabilis multiflora. Magenta flowers open in the late afternoon and appear to almost glow in the dark. Hawkmoths love them.

• stargazerlily
    21 years ago

My mom gave me the root of a four oclock from the Chicago Flower and Garden Show and I planted in the front of my home and hence couldn't believe at how quickly it grew. /i planted it in the beginning of summer and now it is at least 2.5 feet high and 2 feet wide with yellow flowers. I love the four oclocks. What I need to know is can I cut this plant back in the fall and will it come back in the spring? Someone let me know. Thanks Robin

• cakins
    21 years ago

I bought my Night Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) at www.logees.com.

• abgardeneer
    21 years ago

A night-blooming tropical water-lily called 'Antares' - brilliant red flowers the size of a dinner plate, rich dark green leaves. Fantastic - worth many late night trips to the greenhouse! (Actually, night bloomers remain open 'til mid-morning here, so one gets to enjoy them with all the day-bloomers too!)

• gardenlady22
    20 years ago

My cerous cactus, I've had it about thirty five years and when it blooms, the place smells heavenly! So its time to have a "calling all friends" party and watch the blooms unfold late into the night. I got the original cuttings from a plant that lived in of all things an old piano crate! At any one time in the summer, the "mother" plant will have upwards of 75 to 100 blooms opening or going to open blooms. And its true the plant itself isn't as gorgeous as some but the blooms make up for it in spades. Their up to 10" across and pure white and the perfume draws moths and night creatures to add to the mystery and the alure of the blooms. Does any one have a link to share about this plant? I just happened onto this link and would love to look up information about how I can better care for my "Baby".

• gardenlady22
    20 years ago

Pam, I have a 35 year old cerous cactus that I'd be willing to take cuttings from and send you. The original plant I got my first cuttings from lives in a piano crate( its the only thing big enough to hold it!) and it lives in an old victorian castle's greenhouse where its the only plant in the room.I've seen the "mother" with over 50 blooms at one time opening,talk about outstanding. I'm in zone 5,North Ala and I keep mine as a house plant,staked upright.