Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

What's your favorite yellow flower??

ronda_in_carolina
22 years ago

I need yellow!!!

What is your favorite pale yellow???

What is your favorite dark/orange-ish yellow???

TIA

Ronda

Comments (60)

• Pidge
    22 years ago

Pale yellow: coreopsis 'Moonbeam"

darker or orangish yellow: coreopsis again, just about any cultivar

And coreopsis blooms for a long time, another advantage.

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    21 years ago

WOW !!!

This looks like a 'must try' to me!!!

Wishbone Flower Susie Wong
    Torenia baillonii Susie Wong

A Bright, Black-Eyed Plant for the Shade Garden!
    1-inch blooms have intense golden petals and a broad, near-black throat.

{{gwi:724100}}

Few plants can equal the bright color and dazzling impact of black-eyed Suzie Wong, a standout in the shady border, basket, or bed! The plant is dense, compact, and trailing, just 8 inches high but covered with a mass of 1-inch blooms of unusual appearance. The 4 golden-yellow petals are held upwards around a wide, deep purple throat so dark it looks entirely black!

An entirely different look for the shade, Wishbone Flower blooms early. Pkt is 50 seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Eyed Torenia !!!

• panama
    21 years ago

Ozark sundrop(oenothera missouriensis)

......Panama

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    21 years ago

The night-blooming, pleasantly fragrant citron daylily (Hemerocallis citrina) is spectacular, not to mention disease and pest free, hardy and incredibly easy to grow. The foliage is much more graceful and ornamental than most daylily foliage as well. My one small clump, which is about 3' by 3' after five years or so grown from a small division, has stopped traffic for the past two years. The flowers begin to open in early evening and stay open until about 10 or 11 in the morning, sometimes later on cloudy days. It is such a shade of pale-ish yellow that it seems to glow in the light of the setting sun. Definitely one of the best and most elegant yellow-flowered perennials I have ever had the pleasure of growing, and one that is unfortunately often overlooked by the gardening public (which, every once in a while, may be a good thing).

• Susiebelle
    21 years ago

Wild honeysuckle. Grows wild. Looks good in an arrangement. Smells heavenly.

Susie

• Camgardner
    21 years ago

Golden barberry - hardy and a vibrant yellow shrub.

• jakkom
    21 years ago

I know it's a weed, and I pull every little clump that shows its head in my own garden, but the pale yellow of Oxalis stricta that shows up everywhere in Northern California at this time of year, tells you that spring is finally here!

For deep yellow-orange, either the California state flower (Eschscholzia californica) or the Mexican bush marigold, Tagetes lemonii. When the sun hits them they are practically fluorescent and jump out at you!

The poppies bloom early so they're solo stars, but the tagetes can be matched with gentian sage for a spectacular combination of blue and yellow in deep, rich tones.

• Tekwriter
    21 years ago

Calendulas, daylilies, snapdragons, iris, jonquils, and if I could grow Allamanda, Carolina Jessamine, it would be my favorite.

• Aurore
    21 years ago

forsythia and daffodil

• designingwoman
    21 years ago

Digitalis grandiflora--Yellow foxglove--is a beautifully soft pale yellow perennial (and more relaibly perennial than Digitalis mertonnensis which is usually touted as a "true perennial foxglove). If conscientiously deadheaded, You'll get 3 flushes of flowers from late May thru mid-August.

• clm27
    21 years ago

Yellow foxglove (any) goldenrod and leopards bane and of
    course the yellow forsythia in the spring.

• abgardeneer
    21 years ago

Hard to state a favorite, but possibly yellow perennial flax (Linum flavum compactum) - it blooms heavily all summer, the petals have a lovely shiny surface, and it's a sunny yellow. And a carefree, hardy plant to boot.

• karalyn
    21 years ago

The yellow corydalis that loves shade. A long blooming and looks real pretty with blue forget me nots.
    Moonbeam yarrow and coresopsis, Sunray and others.
    Yellow daylilies, Yellow sundrops, golden yellow irises.

I LOVE yellow roses!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    21 years ago

Moonlight scotch broom. Such a lovely plant in bloom and so fragrant. The yellow is soft and not at all golden.

• vmperkins
    21 years ago

Okay, don't hate me for these:

Yarrow. Beautiful lacy flowers, nice gray green leaves.

Cosmos Bright Lights in yellows and oranges, especially against a red brick wall or red pavers.

Both easy as dirt.

Vicki

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    21 years ago

For the pale yellow, Coreopsis 'Moonbeam' has definitely grown on me. It lasts so long, and is so cheery.
    I wouldn't recommend Coreopsis ÂEarly SunriseÂ, which is more orangish-yellow, mainly because of the upkeep it requires (deadheading). Moonbeam looks fine if it's not deadheaded, although shearing it occasionally doesn't hurt.
    For a deeper yellow, I like Fritillaria imperialis (Crown Imperial), in spite of its really short blooming period, because it is so showy. Also, along with my Pasque Flower and Iberis, it acts as the first really standout flower harbinger of spring in my garden.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    21 years ago

I meant to add that Coreopsis ÂEarly Sunrise requires an unusual amount of deadheading. Maybe others have different, simpler methods for tending it, such as cutting it down with hedging shears. I haven't tried that yet on 'Early Sunrise', but now that I think of it, I will make a note to try it this year.

• flowerluvr
    21 years ago

Daydream Tulip....can you grow tulips without chilling in your zone? They start out yellow, then change to orange. Just gorgeous!

• summergirl
    21 years ago

Esparanza has the most beautiful yellow flowers that bloom constantly and Turneria....I also love bright yellow single Hibiscus blooms...and of course, Lantana and daylilies

• Growin_Crazy
    21 years ago

My very favorite yellow used to be Carolina Jessamine, me being a SC girl, and it being our state flower, but as of now, it's Cassia Alata, Candlestick Bush.

But I must admit, I love dwarf yellow marigolds. Planted a bunch of them just last week.

• maine_kate
    21 years ago

any coreopsis. I don't mind the deadheading. Am trying out a new one this year with yellow flowers and maroon centers (coreopsis baby sun).

Yellow loose-strife is pretty too. It's not as invasive as purple.

• klimkm
    20 years ago

Daylily hyperion - a must have. Coreopsis moonbeam. And you can't beat the pow of sunflowers - various types from seed. Mine do a good job of attracting lots of birds.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

Oh my!! this one's too hard !! Theres so many I love.But one would be my clove currants.They are not only very pretty ,but so fragrant!I guess for a darker yellow It would be daffodils.

Marian

• Leeanne
    20 years ago

My favorite yellow is my figleaf hollyhock. My one plant sends up 10-12 flower stalks - 7' tall - flowers are a beautiful lemon yellow. It is stunning and I get many compliments on it every year.

• Bonnyleigh
    20 years ago

I am also a fan of coreopsis moonbeam.. I don't have it yet but I absoluately fell in love with it in Gatlinburg. I also love yellow cannas, those lemon gem marigolds, and sunflowers.

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

for light yellow, I don't know the name of it- I saw it in a nursery but all the pot said was, NOT FOR SALE. it looked like a big,long yellow morning glory, with a longer one coming out the middle of it, and it had long curly.. what are they called. Stamens, I think. Those feeler looking things that grow in the middle of flowers, anyway. It was ALL pale yellow and it was one of the coolest I have ever seen.
    For orangey yellow, I would have to go with the Canna "Lucifer".

• Shadyflwrs
    20 years ago

Doronicum, daisy with heart shape foliage that blooms in shade

• westtxteach
    20 years ago

Dahlberg Daisies!

• Elaine_LINY
    20 years ago

It's easy for this to turn into a love/hate yellow flower forum. I think yellow-orange flowers are great but I have all shade and that narrows it down some. My favorites are probably Asiatic lilies even though the empty stems look silly when they're finished. I'm also a sucker for daffodils although I made some bad pairing combinations. My advice: mixed daffs should have flower heads close to the same size, not a factor of two different!

Forsythias grow like weeds on Long Island, I hack them to the ground if there's anything wrong with their shape at all and then they have a chance to come up as nice fountain-shaped sprays for a while. I groan at the sight of local round, square, and pruned-away-from-the-mailbox shaped forsythias.

Does anyone know of a yellow bleeding heart that will survive zone 6 (or living in a pot in zone 7? That's what I consider my unheated glass porch to be)? Or a yellow rhodedendron that grows tall?

Also (though this is an orange comment not a yellow comment), does anyone know why there all these huge clumps of daylilies growing on abandoned roadsides here, bloom like crazy even in the shade, while my nursery-ordered daylilies have lived here five years and hardly grown or spread?

Bought my first successful rose this year, a yellow "Simplicity", and it's quite nice. Hope it doesn't need any special treatment.

Elaine

• Vrtlar
    20 years ago

Deep Yellow: Mary Todd daylily or yarrow
    Light Yellow: Moonbeam coreopsis

• rross
    20 years ago

portulaca. I don't normally like yellow flowers but I really like these ones - pale and dark yellow.

• woodviolet
    20 years ago

Can't stand yellow but my "Moonwalker" sunflowers are truly gorgeous. They're a buttery-lemon yellow with a dark center. It hasn't made me love yellow but the lighter shades can be nice.

• charpix
    20 years ago

try Chaenomeles 'Orange Delight' pale orange color

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

WestTxTeach, I forgot about Dahlberg Daisies, a standard annual in my garden. They are very sweet, and make good filler.

• Rohail
    20 years ago

Pale yellow: I have a massive pale yellow climbing rose. Dont know the name.

Dark: Love Lantana, Allamanda, marigolds, flame vine(pyrostegia venusta)

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    20 years ago

Pale yellow - Elina Rose

Dark Orange - Tiger Lily with black spots

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Lily

• donnaskinner
    20 years ago

I love yellow day lillies, they bloom early and last for months. They just get better and better every year.

• Hortwoman
    19 years ago

Oh you MUST try some Dahlberg Daisies!! I am totally amazed by them, this is my first year growing them from seed. The germinate supereasily (indoors for me) and as soon as you get them in the ground they just take off! My plants are about 6 inches tall and spread about 12 inches, just 3 weeks after being planted in the ground! The whole border just glows with yellow. If you are a seed grower, I could send you some seeds, I have billions of them!

Also!!!!! A must try is Melampodium, which is actually an African Zinnia. I had only 4 seeds given to me in a round robin several years ago. I seeded them this year and all 4 of them are some of the hardiest everblooming plants that I have! Had I known, I would have bought hundreds of them (which I have only found them available through Stokes Seeds at a decent price. Park Seed doesnt seem to carry them). Each plant is about 6 to 8 inches tall.

You have been given tons of suggestions here. If you like I could email you some pictures of these plants that I took with my digital camera. Just email me and let me know!

eschumer9178@brick.net

• plant_manager
    19 years ago

Greetings! I love yellow calla lilies, but my new favorite is one my mother in law used to grow and I saved seed and grew some last year. They are a true perenial here in my part of zone 7b in South Carolina, and I suspect it would be much farther north. It is one of the Oenethera's, but which one I don't know. I grow it in containers since I grow most things in containers. It grows to be about 3 feet tall with a 3 inch bloom, single, and canary yellow. It is literally loaded with blooms and smells wonderful. Mine has just finished its first flush of blooms and I am letting it go to seed. It does tend to rebloom if it is not let go to seed. If anyone would like to try some of the seed I would be glad to send seed to people for a SASE. It will be about a month before the seed are ready, but I could start a list. We just call it Mama's Yellow Flowers. I may be able to post a Picture of it when I get the film developed. Have a great weekend and a great garden!

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

coreopsis and black eyed susan, both which grow wild all over the roadsides down here. I just love them!

• Grace_Susan
    19 years ago

corydalis lutea and daffs! :)

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Pale yellow- Hibisicus

Dark/orangeish yellow- Marigolds!

How about adding one for deep yellow? This would be the black-eyed susan...the one that grows upright, not the vining one. It's actually the Maryland State Flower. I've seen the most beautiful beds of them along the roadside traveling to the Eastern Shore. Breathtaking!!!!!

• vjanie
    18 years ago

Question - What yellow flowers will grow well indoors under lights? (can't grow very tall as will be on shelves)

• LMSmith4
    18 years ago

My yellow columbine is gorgeous! It is too bad it doesn't bloom all season!

• woodyswife
    18 years ago

Asclepias Hello Yellow. Pretty and carefree.

• januszb
    18 years ago

Basket of Gold Allysum.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Yellow columbines, Kniphofia 'Little Maid', David Austin Rose 'Molineux', and yellow pansies are probably my favorite yellows. That, and daffodils (in season).

• tulips91
    18 years ago

Yellow tulips... easy care, many varieties, early color. I love that photo of "Basket of Gold" allysum w/ the tulips. I don't think that you would need to pre-chill the bulbs in your zone seven...

• baalmaiden
    18 years ago

Here in England one of the first flowers in spring is the wild primrose, which everyone loves. Could you tell me what Dahlberg Daisies are? Rudbeckia 'Prairie Sun' has become a favourite of mine too.

• janroze
    18 years ago

my 6' liliums, they made quite a statement in the garden.
    jan

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor