Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_5

Favorite Junky Area Survivor

Bill - 5
25 years ago

Think railroad tracks, abandoned parking lots, areas of industrial or urban grime. Think of ill kept hedges. Think of places you wouldn't expect a plant to survive, much less thrive. Think of abusive chopping, poisoning even. Nature abhorrs a vacuum. My favorite is box elder - it most often appears as a sprawling multi-trunked entity, sprouting from a stump that bears the marks of repeatedly being hacked down. I once saw one growing close to a factory window looking out from acid baths. A close second would be Ailanthus - the "Tree of Heaven", but it sure grows in some unheavenly places.

Comments (48)

• Hazel - 8
    25 years ago

Mine has to be Queen Ann Lace.It grows here along our coastal highways and are treated like weeds.They are so big and nice,They come along with there machines first and try chopping them down and finally they use the weed killer that wipes them out till the next year and then they are back.I got my own seeds this year and plan to grow my own.

• Bill - 5
    Original Author
    25 years ago

I used to have Queen Anne's lace at the front of my yard when it was sunnier there. It is actually a quite attractive plant as you say, and very drought tolerant as well.

• abby - 6
    25 years ago

Autumn Clematis, draping over Junk.
    Good old Ironweed, which I LOVE.
    Goldenrod
    I agree with queen anns lace.
    Old daffodils popping up indicating old homesteads

• Wingnut - 8 Central Texas
    25 years ago

I like prickly pear cactus that grow in stragely high places ~ what wonderful surprises when you look up! I have two growing in the crotches of oak trees here on my ranch and quite a few on the ROOF (!) of the old pig shed that the pecan tree leaves have collected on for years ~ I think I'll strengthen the roof supports below them and let them grow!
    But my favorite survivors have to be the daffodils, irises and four-o'clocks all over the place where they had been planted with loving care by someone far in the past ~ someone who is possibly buried in the ground themselves now, but who at that time long ago were looking forward to the day they would bloom. I thank them silently every time I see the patches of blooms ~ yellow, purple, white, pink ~ that are the last testament to, and a quiet remider of, a loving warm family and home that was once there...

• Susan - No. CA-9
    25 years ago

In Northern California, it has to be Fennel. What a useful and attractive plant! - but here, it is considered a weed. -Grows on the railroad tracks, the beach, vacant lots, cracks in the sidewalk, etc. The birds planted one in my garden, and I cherish it, but I do religiously deadhead! I laugh when I see it for sale in the nurseries...

• raILz5a
    25 years ago

old fashioned single hollyhocks. There 'town' part of this town is old...old houses, old yards, old gardens. I am always amazed to see big stands of hollyhocks sprouting up in alleyways, wedged in between a gravel drive and huge oaks, seeding behind garbage cans. Those things have a real will to live, i guess!

• Evelyn - 4
    24 years ago

Have seen many would be "EYE SORE AREAS"covered with wild roses and fragrant honeysuckle vines.

• Kim C - 5- SW MI
    24 years ago

My friend and I were nursery-hopping and drove by a great blue flower by an abandoned building. We went back to grab some and it was growing between the cracks in the old sidewalk! I don't know what it is, but we call it "coffin flower" because the old building was a coffin factory!

• di - 6
    24 years ago

Iris and tansy.

• Beverly - mid michigan - 5
    24 years ago

I know of a spot in the northern part of the lower pennisula of Michigan that is right in the middle of nowhere (now weeds, brush, some rusting old machinery)........where there's always a glorious spring showing of lilacs. I told the story that over 100 years ago, there was a cabin on that spot (long since gone!!!!). Still every year those lilacs put on a show in what what seem to be a very unlikely spot!!!

......Beverly

• Nancy - zone 5
    24 years ago

Around here in Maine, it's phlox and lupine, what a show they put on, railroad beds, in the field next to our dump, in gullys, we also have fields full of queen anne's lace, asters and old cellar holes full of lilacs, iris's, day lilies, lily of the valley and columbine. I'm just a shoveling fool in the spring and have filled my garden with as many of these "weeds" as I can fit in!!!

• Char - 7
    24 years ago

I rescued a few may-apples from my neighbor's yard before they dug up their old garden (they looked positively comical in their yard). My neighbor's house was owned by a woman who gardened their for many years, but she couldn't take care of it when she got older, and the house was rented for several years after she died. I love these plants, they have these wonderful umbrella leaves and they are growing right underneath a huge old maple (where little else grows without a LOT of additional compost). Maybe they will eventually try to take over my yard, but right now I love them.

• Donna - 6
    24 years ago

I love the black-eyed susans behind the gas station,the cornflowers growing out of the cracks in the tarmac at the abandoned airport, the Queen Anne's lace along the roadside, and the wild mint everywhere!

• Trudi Davidoff - 7
    24 years ago

I live on Long Island and by the bus stops and the backs of gasoline stations where the old tires are piled way high you always see wonderful blue flowered chicory. It gets weed wacked, trampled on, dogs love to do their business on it, salt trucks bury it in the winter and it keeps coming back. It's a real timex plant, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

• Ruth NY - 5
    24 years ago

A volunteer sunflower blooming from a crack on the side of I 95 (not sure which state it was). Driving home from vacation one year. Just caught a glimpse of it blooming just as pretty as if it'd been planted by loving hands in a beautiful garden. It instantly made me think of that saying "bloom where you are planted" and I have never forgotten that flower and probably never will.

• susan - ca
    24 years ago

Here on the central california coast we have "sour
    flowers" I don't know what they're really,I think
    Oxalis. They are a beautiful yellow spring "weed"
    which is absolutely everywhere. I love that my
    neighbor sprays her yard with roundup to kill it anf
    2 weeks later it's all back. Serves her right for
    mistreating this beauty!

• enjo
    24 years ago

ROADSIDE CHICORY!!! That gorgeous summer blue (here on the east coast at least). We must be providing way-too-good soil for that pretty plant, 'cause it would never grow for us in the naturalized/"wilder" parts of our garden.

• Barbara - 7a
    24 years ago

Wisteria! I love seeing overgrown vacant lots in the spring covered with wisteria.

• Evelyn - 7
    24 years ago

Well, Bill, I would have to agree with Trudy and Enjo...Chicory would be the one! Such lovely blue flowers!

• Eileen - IL. Zone 5
    24 years ago

Hi Bill!

You're right! I love chickory along the roadsides, along with solidago...what a beautiful combination. Or sumac along the expressways in fall. And old peonies long left to their own devices in cemetaries, and finally old hydrangeas on long ago abondoned farmsteads...although it's rather sad to see an abondoned farm.

Eileen

• Homer S. - OK/zone 8
    24 years ago

mmmmmmmm dandelions...........

• ruby - 9
    24 years ago

Brilliant blue perennial morning glory that climbs into the trees and crawls over vacant lots. Once you have it, you have it, though. I grew mine on a fence at a rental where the landlord had said "no vines!" Before vacating, I pulled out everything, every inch of those roots, including 4-inch diameter root/trunks. Honest!
    But last time I drove by, that same chain link fence was covered with those same bright blue blooms. The vine was very kind to wait until we got our deposit fee back!

• rosebud - 6A
    24 years ago

chicory gets my vote too. And coltsfoot, which is just starting to bloom now, a real harbinger of spring.
    --rosebud

• dinah - 9CA
    24 years ago

Old homesites in California disappear, except for two big Date Palms. On the foggy coast south of San Francisco the roadside ditches are full of lush white Calla lilies. Pink Jupiter's Beard ( Centranthus), Pride of Madeira ( Echium), and Red Hot Poker also seed themselves.

• Ted - Maine - 4b
    24 years ago

Put me down too for chickory. It carpets roadsides and vacant lots from my old home (Atlanta) to my new one (Maine). It's one of those plants that's best seen from a moving car, where its rangy leggy look can't interfere with the blue haze.

• Eileen - IL Zone5
    24 years ago

How could I forget!

One of my favorite "roadside weeds", although I hate to call it that, is wild Phlox.

There is a stretch of road out this way that goes about a few miles long and in late spring, early summer the whole road is covered in this phlox...wow! Is it gorgeous! The colors are pink, purple and white. I've been trying to guess for years the exact nomenclature of this phlox cause I thought I would like some in my garden. Then, thinking it over I think that maybe if it spreads this well in the wild it may take over my yard.

Eileen

• memyselfandi 5
    22 years ago

Clover!

• Fred 6
    22 years ago

Mullein- it loves growing in the big rough rocks they edge the railroad beds with, quite impressive when it gets up to 8 feet high and 4 feet wide! Favorite junk area tree: mimosa- its so flashy in bloom, contrasted with say, roughly bulldozed dirt piles & rusty machinery.

• skye NYS5
    22 years ago

We have gorgeous wildflowers growing this time of the year around here in fields that are not cut. But my current hero would have to be Viper's Bugloss which is out now and pops up along roadsides, in gravel pits, and adds a touch of beauty to waste areas.

• jane_socal
    22 years ago

Along an old railroad right-of-way that's posted with big "No trespassing" signs, blue/violet lupine puts on a great show every spring.

• dafla
    22 years ago

In my home state of SC, it was redbud trees & all the different colors of morning glory that grew wild. Here in FL, it has to be lantana. They grow up over old cow fences in a flurry of yellow, orange, and pink flowers.

• lisasmall
    21 years ago

Okay, another blue chicory fan here, especially growing with that foreign invader, white Queen Anne's Lace, and the dark rusty seed spires of curly dock.

When I was a little kid in rural Illinois, I used to pick bouquets of those three from along the railroad tracks and road ditches for my mother, and keep them in a glass jar for days. I still love the look!

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll Down Photo to See Curly Dock Seed Stalks

• SusArm
    21 years ago

Around here, it's chicory and the orange daylilies -- everywhere and so lovely.
    Susan

• duffy
    21 years ago

Yup, agree with the orange daylilies along the side of the road. They're everywhere, but still beautiful! And crown vetch, growing down the side of a steep hill along a highway. A pest, but lovely.

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Sun flowers

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

Here in MO we have orange daylillies, sunflowers, queen anne's lace, chicory, clover, goldenrod, redbud trees all over (my very favorite) and something small and yellow which is not dandelions but quite beautiful when it takes over a field.

• nora8
    21 years ago

Hey butterbean, Down here in the bootheel of Mo. we have those beautiful orange lilies too and I love goldenrod,queen anne's lace and ever so often you can see wild sweet peas. My favorite has to be the daffodils growing along the side of the road. It lets the world know that spring is here. We have this country road that twirt and turns and I love to drive down it to just see all the beautiful daffodils that cover the side of the road. I have to admit that one day I stopped and picked some!!! They didn't miss them.LOL Blessings to all. Nora

• Moonsinger
    21 years ago

Here in NM, desert willow is one of the many toughies. And hollyhocks! Explain to me how they can pop up out of cracks in asphalt abandoned lots when I plant them in my yard, water them, feed them, baby them, and they WON'T GROW!

• jmonro123
    21 years ago

I was a florist in Seattle, moved to Michigan. Here, I love the Queen Anne's lace, one of my favorite filler flowers for bouquets, and the Tiger Lilies, the wild daffs, all things we paid big money for out West, and the multitudes of cornflowers. In Eastern Washington we had acres of daisies in the mountain meadows, I loved that! imagine a high backdrop of green mountain, snowcapped all summer, and in a cool meadow lined with trees, where bears roam and deer occasionally peek out from, and natural edging of bushes, an expanse of daisies, thousands and thousands. I guess its not a junky area. just uncivilized.

• chancygardener
    21 years ago

Black eyed Susan --- it's the only thing that comes up in the compacted clay soil of newly constructed homes.
    Chicory --- survives almost the same conditions in road ditches.

• shell1989
    21 years ago

Clematis!!!! As I drive into town you can see it crawling up the huge pine trees and curling around a telephone pole! Whoever lived there before had a beatiful view of the water, in my mind I can see a little house with a beautiful garden.

• niwahito
    19 years ago

Believe it's called "creeping myrtle" - was used around the bases of trees when the development I live in was "begun" 15+ years ago, and now it has "staked out" every low spot - it's close to evergreen even here near Chicago, and sure beats looking at little gullies and exposed tree roots.

• springcherry
    19 years ago

What a great thread -- my vote goes for chicory but Queen Anne's lace and mullien are close seconds for the mid-atlantic region if you're inland. By the water or sandy seaside you can get what I was told were mallow roses, gorgeous, and the above. One thing that infuriates me on Long Island are all the people who live on the beach, cart in soil and grow english-looking gardens right between the bunches of sea grass. It must take alot of fertilizer and alot of replacement plants(read that as a lot of money) to make something so artificial and uncalled for work. There are so many cool wild beach and bay plants. And some of the hardier garden plants work as well. When I was kid lovely wild stuff would cover the undeveloped (now developed) areas behind dunes, between creeks, near the bay, thriving in the sandy infertile soil.
    Farther north there is an intense organgy dandelion-like flower I've heard called devil's bit or hawk's bit. Also swamp asclepias with its large pink heads. And a mountain meadow covered in wild lupine is almost indescribaly lovely.

Ahhhh--summer...
    Springcherry

• cranebill
    19 years ago

Wild berry brambles growing out of the scrubby vegetation at the shoulders of maintainence roads.

cranebill

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    19 years ago

Wild Sweet Peas growing in the ditches along the back roads.
    The prettiest shade of magenta ever.

• twopoots
    19 years ago

I moved to a very smll western town and found my favorites growing in grand profusion in the side yard of the local laundromat, there among the discarded washing machines was a fabulous stand of hollyhocks. It is quite a sight to see the Maytags in full bloom.

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

Glad someone mentioned Mullein - I try to encourage a couple as specimen plants - and children love the soft foliage almost as much as me.

I also like to keep a Grandaddy Poke as a Specimen Plant - and it will seed its whole area for spring greens to put in my morning eggs. Nothing better! (all but one showy leader gets pulled - once they are 6-8" or higher - as the entire plant is toxic after that height) the tender young stems are good minced and added to things for a bit of crunch.

Roots are toxic at all times. Avoid touching sap from your plants over 8" tall also. I pull the whole tender young plant to cook (compost/discard all roots),
    rather than just cutting greens - as I don't want to eat greens re-grown from old roots by mistake.

Young leaves are fresh tasting, and WORTH weeding out any shoots taller than 8" if needed. btw, I don't bother with boiling young greens. Traditionally, Poke Salet people of the American South always boiled em several times and discard water - but I believe they used older plants, and I think you get a nasty mass in result. Canned poke products are AWFUL - IMO...don't waste your money.

When I move to a new home and desire another mother Poke plant for the new garden, I pay attention to ratty fence edges at roadsides for awhile. There will be a single neglected plant to discover, seeded by birds, to offer a nice whorl of seeds to get me started at the new house.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jannie
    19 years ago

Blue CHICKORY

Sponsored