Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
padraig_1

Favorite Gardening Shoes

padraig_1
20 years ago

Yesterday, while I was in the garden,I happened to look down at my feet,then I looked around to make sure that none of my neighbors could see them. My gardening sneakers have got to be 20+ years old. Lots of ground in red Georgia clay, Florida sand and GOK what else, threadbear in spots, tongues missing, broken laces tied in knots, but oh so comfy. I doubt I will ever part with them. Made me wonder what other people wear while they are playing in the dirt.

Comments (16)

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Are you sure those aren't my garden shoes you're describing? Hahaha! I wear old sneakers for 'dirty work' and muddy or colder days. If my neighbors are looking, they see them a lot. These shoes are always parked by the back door and my family probably gets sick of seeing them there. They have been left out in the rain countless times. A second pair is now in training due to the fact that I forgot I was not wearing my garden shoes and started digging holes in my 'good' sneakers. Er, I mean I started digging holes while wearing my good sneakers. (Sorry, Mrs. Lynch.)

But usually I just wear sandals. They kind of look like Dr. Scholls but with 2 straps across the top of the feet.

For some reason that nobody could ever explain, my Mom gardened for years in an old pair of leather penny loafers.

Sidebar: What's up with the new plastic Dr. Scholls? After over 20 yrs. of HEAVY-DUTY wear, the leather finally gave way on my old wooden pair, my FAV pair of shoes. When I went shopping for the new pair, all I could find was plastic. NOT!! I gave up.

• Kathy Bochonko
    20 years ago

I love my garden clogs. I can just hose them off and they feel like slippers. My 3 year old wants a pair.

• Sachis2112
    20 years ago

Gotta be my Sloggers! I couldn't really justify getting a pair ($14-20 for a piece of rubber???) but DH's favorite color is red and he insisted I buy the red pair he spotted at the nursery. (I hate red but they were the only ones in my size that day.) I find myself wearing more red to match the shoes.

I guess I feel the need to look adorable while I garden or something. (What a dork, huh?)

• treacle
    20 years ago

Blundstone boots from Australia, they slip right on. I've had lots of other garden shoes and boots but these are my favs. I've has them for 5 years and they are going strong!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blundstone

• weebus
    19 years ago

Muck boots and Muck shoes! So comfy, and rugged.

• daisydolphin
    19 years ago

Cheapo slides from Target - just hose 'em right off.

• lookingglassgarden
    19 years ago

I love my garden clogs but have to tell you what happened to them. My daughter slipped them on to go play outside and left them sitting on the running board of my husbands work van. My hubby arrived at work with only one still sitting there. He only works a couple miles away so we were in search of the clog with no luck. Finally, weeks later I was driving to work myself and there was my other clog in the middle of the road. It had been kicked up by the county mowers and pitched into the middle of the highway where my husband was kind enough to rescue it in a drive by scoop. It has a little gash in it from the mower but Im still wearing them! LOL.

• kids2spoil
    19 years ago

I'm usually just barefoot unless I have to get the big shovel going on a project. I seldom wear garden gloves either (except to use to hold worms to go fishing..lol)

• padraig_1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

There are too many critters and fungi and prickly stuff here in this part of Florida to permit barefooted gardening. I also wonder about some of those other aliens that are supposed to get into your system through the feet. Then I look down at my own "half shoes" and think, before long, I will surely be barefooted, too! Happy gardeing!

• robin_bird
    19 years ago

I need good arch support or my feet hurt.

I have a wonderful pair of purple Birkenstock garden clogs. In non-gardening season (since they can still clean), I pretty much use them as house-slippers. They are so comfortable!!

• junelynn
    19 years ago

My birkenstock fake leather clogs....(nubuck leather, it's called).
    I wore them for about a year as regular clogs...
    Then I decided they would be good for the garden...
    They have held up for another 3 years....
    I live in N.Carolina. It get's HOT in the late spring and summer, so plastic clogs are OUT. Old sneakers get too wet and don't protect my feet when it rains or when I'm mowing.

I have since added a store bought arch support and used double sided sticky tape to apply and they help the old clog. I can't seem to wear out the sole or heel. Amazing as I'm no lightweight.

I could clean them up and you'd never know they were 3 yrs. old!

AS with Robin Bird, my birkies get my vote! I'm jealous she has purple ones, mine are brown.

• homersgarden
    19 years ago

Simple leather clogs. They are eight years old and are just now getting a hole on the side.

• Susiebelle
    19 years ago

I wear my white Keds. They used to be white, that is. Now they are brown and green, with frayed shoelaces. When they get really bad, I throw them in the washer, but then they have to be broken in again cause they kind of shrink up.

I found out Saturday that it's not a good idea to wear capris while running the weedeater around a chainlink fence. I got whacked on the legs a couple of times and it's really ugly. Ouch!!!

Susie

• redhotflowermama
    19 years ago

I bought a pair of garden clogs at the farmers coop and love them they are lite weight and have good support. If I still worked at the hospital would wear them instead of nurses shoes. Judy

• ladybug24
    19 years ago

I love my nubuck birkenstocks also!!! Got them for $34 and have had them 5 years. The soles started coming off so I just super glued those rascals back on..Good as new!!!! I just hose them off to clean them!!! I have a brown pair and a blue pair! Next best thing to going barefoot!

• babanna
    19 years ago

I wear an old pair of merrels slide sport i think...ones the dog chewed the back off of one but are so comfie...
    I can garden in them all day and they shake out easier being more like a clog.

Quite hideous looking though...I "embarassed" my son when I forgot to switch shoes and wore them to his baseball game...."how could you wear those things?!"...."in front of the other mothers!" too funny!
    Am I gardening crazy or just getting older and don't really care what the other moms are wearing!?!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!