Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Growing Contest

Posted by imabcgal zonal 6 BC Can (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 12:22

For several years a group of us ladies across Canada have been particpating in a Castor Bean Growing Contest. We name our beans, and report in weekly, how tall or wide they are growing. Joke around how great or poorply are beans are doing. A token prize at the end of the growing season, for the Winner. The winner is to submit picture of their Castor Bean Plant with them beside it.

Anyway, I would love some ideas on a starting another contest using another plant. Any suggestion for a different plant to use for the contest?

The contest will begin soon, April 15th if you wish to share in the fun follow the link below!
Look to the left of the page and click on
Garden Chatter.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Homebodies Cacoon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Growing Contest

How about sunflowers?

o

aquadman1218 -

Thanks for the suggestion I will present it to the gals, though they are already thinking of the castor bean. The castor bean if swallowed or chewed by an animal or small babe is poisonous, this is why I was looking for a more suitable plant for the contest. We have used it for the past 4 years, it does look quite tropical and would be nice try something different.

o

Amaranthus. Lots of different varieties, but the kind I'm thinking of sports purple leaves, stretches to about 6' x 3', has ornamental plumes good for drying and is edible. Great bird attracter and easy to grow. Unlike castor beans, amaranthus is minute when it emerges. It also reseeds. Try J.L. Hudson, Seedsman for seed.

o

Thanks for the plant suggestion Nina Marie. Locally in my area, it is called the Chennille Plant because of the soft flowing, flora. I didn't know the botanical name.

I chose the plant for our contest as, the zonal planting is wide and will accomodate all gals across Canada and the UK no matter their zonal range. The attractions of birds, which I know some of the gals will like and I like the dried flora advantage. We all will enjoy the beauty of this little plant in our gardens!

It does call for full sun and I will be experimenting with one on my balcony, that only recieves 6 hrs of sun but bright shade the rest of the day.
Thanks Heaps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here