Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swilly_gw

hgtv canada is better than hgtv

swilly
21 years ago

I read the lineup for HGTV Canada, they have soo many gardening programs, I'm jealous. Here we have more home decorating programs, which I don't care for. I wish HGTV would give us more gardening shows in the states.

swilly

Comments (12)

• plantcompost
    21 years ago

I couldn't agree more! We live just south of the border and drool with envy over the HGTV Canada listings. We can't pick them up over the airwaves because it is a cable station. However, even the 'regular' Canadian channels on the airwaves seem to have more gardening shows. The shows seem more intimate and 'cozy'. I can watch a gardening show from climates all over the world and still enjoy them.

On the down side, we're not big hockey fans and the Canadian channels are full of hockey playoffs this time of year. I can't get worked up over anything to do with 'ice' when chomping at the bit to get my trowell out!

• edauc
    21 years ago

Please - please email the HGTV web site and complain. I have done this. They have also taken off quite a few of the very good antique shows they used to show. Please - please email them and complain about their lack of garden shows. Maybe if enough of us do this they will put some good ones on that we can watch.

• Jesse_zn6
    21 years ago

I'm surprised to hear we Cdn.'s get more gardening shows than the US HGTV. Our gardening shows lack actual gardening content and the trend seems to be going toward the garden makeover shows. I don't know about the US but gardening is the most popular and fastest growing hobby and or pastime in Canada but we can't seem to get much airtime on the HG network. Go figure!!

• chills71
    19 years ago

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one irritated with HGTV. The new Year's line-up has even fewer gardening shows than ever before. Gardener's journal dropped for Rebecca's garden? What are they thinking?? Paul James dropped from twice on Saturdays to just once? 5 new design shows?

I'm writing them next and if their lack of Gardening shows irks you, please do so as well...

~Chills

• RainbowLake
    19 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more Chills. I was very upset when I discovered that Rebecca's garden had replaced Gardeners Journal. There is no comparison between the two. Now the only gardening show I have left to watch is Ground
    Force on BBC and it's really just a landscaping show.

• flowerfarmer
    19 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more.
    Rebecca's Garden on Monday featured pumpkins and Indian corn.
    In January? How timely is that???

• mesquiteent
    19 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should take the 'Garden' out of 'Home & Garden' if they're not going to have gardening shows!

Makeover shows don't count, either...

And another bone I'd like to pick - why is it that all Discovery and TLC show is decorating shows and chopper shops? What happened to the 'Learning' In 'The learning Channel'???? Sorry - it's just been really annoying me for awhile.

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

Oh, yes. For months, maybe more than a year, on HGTV, I was enjoying A Gardener's Journal and then A Gardener's Diary (or vice versa) at 7 a.m. each morning. On each of those shows, each episode visits a different home garden. Very enjoyable. Last week it changed to Rebecca's garden, so every morning now I'm shown - how to plant plants. Today we learned how to dig holes for mums and how to dig holes for aspens.

Also, why are all the gardening shows on HGTV on Saturday in the middle of the day? All gardeners are outside on Saturday.

• judeth_ann
    19 years ago

I live in British Columbia and subscribe to the HGTV via a large Satalite Dish. I am fed up with it too. The few times I do get to watch the HGTV, it seems to be reruns too. I worked the last two weeks so was up at 4:00 a.m. and listened to Rebecca. Learned to make "stepping stones" one morning with the kids. When I was in the "city" over Labour Day, really enjoyed watching the "Canadian" version at the motel. I have to admit I miss Martha.

• Chilidawg
    18 years ago

I wrote them about disagreeing with dropping some of the garden shows I liked and they responded, "thank you for your support of HDTV"...maybe they work with the government, this is the same response my congressman sends me when I write in opposition to him :(

• southerngardengal
    18 years ago

I agree that if HGTV stands for home and garden it should have equal amounts of each. Maybe the producers could do like they have with Food Network. Have a network that is dedicated to gardening and one that is dedicated to home decorating etc. I would love that since there are some decorating programs that I like to watch but get sick of the reruns.

LOL Chilidawg, know what you mean. We are encouraged to write and then receive a form letter from the politicians and other businesses which tells me that I just wasted my time, paper and stamp.

• pam_whitbyon
    18 years ago

Hmmm, maybe 2 yrs ago when this thread was started, we did have more gardening shows here in Canada.

Right now I'm pretty fed up with HGTV. It seems full of these ridiculous design-a-room-in-20-minutes-shows with $100 and completely unlimited resources of carpenters, upholsterers, eletricians and plumbers along with a designer/host who looks like miss universe. And then the game show/reality TV varieties with people decorating their neighbours homes and getting into drunken fights. AND what about these makeover shows where the family says they like modern white neoclassical and so the producers bring in a designer who makes their living room look like a boudoir in the Taj Mahal, full of orange and pink and big intricate rosewood furniture, then sulk when the homeowner tells them to get rid of it? Oh Lordy.

TV is for entertainment only, it seems. Back to my gardening books and mags, then!

Pam

Sponsored