Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilacs

Posted by britbritmay (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 03 at 14:18

I am going to start doing some landscaping around the house. I want to put in some lilacs. I know this sounds dumb. Does this turn into a big bush? Should I be concerned putting it close to the house because of the pipes? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilacs

When Lilacs Last in the Doorway Bloomed, is an old poem and implies they were close to the house. Mine is smack up against the corner of my foundation and it's such an airy plant that it has done no damage in 35 years. Of course you should always "Dig Safe" no matter where or what you plant in your yard and avoid digging anywhere you'd be bumping into utility pipes. You will love your lilac!

o
RE: Lilacs

Lilacs get huge! I planted mine eight feet away from the house. It is pushing it there. It a white one and has gotten ten feet tall and six feet across.

They can get huger if you let them. I would be less worried about pipes than the branches scratching against your house, I would never ever plant one up against the foundation.

If you want a lilac and a lilac smell by your doorway, plant a smaller cultivar of syringa (if there are any?), I think there is something called "Korean lilac" or "persian lilac" (don't know latin name) that I see in nurseries that is a small bush which smells really nice. I like the large old-fashioned lilacs better, but just make sure you leave enough room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here