Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Book with a Plant Name in Title?

Posted by enjayare z6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 04 at 18:34

Mine is The Catcher in the Rye.

But there's White Oleander and I Never Promised You a Rose Garden and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Book with a Plant Name in Title?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 9, 04 at 23:13

If ever you have the opportunity, read "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupery. There is no plant in the name, but the whole story is about a rose. At first the book seems trite, but after some thought you will understand why it's often used in philosophy classes. What seems to be a children's book is a very thought provoking read. BTW it is a short book & can be read in one or two sittings. I have read it at least 20 times & I get more out of it each time. I think you can guess it's my favorite book. ;o)

Al

o

How about a poem, "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd" by Walt Whitman.

o

"The Orchid Thief".

o

The Name of the Rose
Rose Madder
Flowers for Algernon (if the word "flowers" itself counts)
Lilies of the Field
The Black Dahlia
Where the Lilies Bloom
Snow Falling on Cedars
Dandelion Wine
Blueberries for Sal (something like that -- kid's book)
Huckleberry Finn

o

I will accept Flowers for Algernon if you will take the song Oh Sweet Pea (won't you dance with me) I think that is how it goes.

o

How about the song "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" It was an old song I believe popular in the 1920's and revived by Tiny Tim singing it on the Johnny Carson Show! Everyone remember? LOL Also one of my favorite books is "Sleeping With A Sunflower". Right now I can"t locate it to give you the author's name but believe she also wrote "Tomatoes Like Garlic".........right this minute I'm not sure about that.

o

Where the Red Fern Grows. Read it in the 4th grade and cried my eyes out.

I recently had to put down my doggy... can anyone point me to a realy red fern? :-(

o

Flowers In the Attic

o

"The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame, a childhood favorite.

"A Rose for Emily," a Faulkner short story.

"Ivy Day in the Committee Room," a short story by James Joyce.

o

I love the "China Bayles" mystery series by Susan Wittig Albert:
Thyme of Death, Rosemary Remembered, Bloodroot, etc.

o

I enjoyed the 'Shy Tulip Murders' by Rebecca Rothenberg. I bought it just for the name, off a dicount table.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here