Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growin_crazy

Favorite non-gardening thing to do in your yard

Growin_Crazy
21 years ago

What is your favorite non-gardening thing to do in your yard?

Mine is sitting under my oak tree in the early morning or early evening and watch/listen to the squirrels and birds play about the feeders, and the butterflies and bees flitting about.

In the winter, when there are no butterflies and bees, I like to sit on my front stoop and speak to all the walkers and joggers who come by. In case you haven't noticed, I live in Florida, so sitting outside in the winter and seeing walkers/joggers isn't a far stretch.

Comments (16)

• lucillle
    21 years ago

I love sitting out every evening in the back yard looking at my garden and meanwhile throwing balls for the dogs to fetch. I have 3 dogs, the retriever is the one who (of course) retrieves the balls, as many times as I want to throw them he joyfully brings them back. The Boston Terrier terrorizes, running furiously to inspect whatever the neighbors are doing. The Shih Tzu is is just a foofy fluff who doesn't do anything and jumps into my lap to be petted:)
    Meanwhile the antique roses waft their scent into the air and I can look at whatever is blooming!

• jakkom
    21 years ago

Unfortunately our gardens mostly surround the house on a typical urban lot, so they aren't really made to sit and look at -- we wish they were. The best view is from our neighbor's house across the street, LOL!

Since this is springtime there are an amazing number of plants blooming right now. We are doing some remodeling and the house is a war zone inside, so every day I grab my husband and we walk around the entire house to enjoy all the different flower beds. It's only a few minutes' time, but it refreshes the spirits and keeps us going.

We plan on doing the remainder of the backyard this year, and hope to have our patio and garden house ready for the heat of late summer. The backyard is shaded in the afternoon and will be a wonderful place to sit back, read and sip an iced tea!

• rhine59
    21 years ago

I agree with Lucille. My second favorite thing to do in our yard is play with our dog. He is a 5 year old Dingo/Bulldog mix, smart as a fox and stubborn as a mule but totally fun loving. He will chase balls or anything else you toss his way. The only bad thing is when I miss-throw something into a garden and he tears right through it kicking up flowers and veggies in his wake.

• jane_socal
    21 years ago

Watch the hummingbirds (which live here year around). Was standing so close to one eating those tiny gnats once, I could see right into its throat.

• galileo
    21 years ago

On our "park bench" in our front yard we drink our after-dinner tea and greet the neighbors. We moved in just before the Blizzard of 78 and watched our sweet old retired neighbors dealing with snow removal. Now we're the sweet old neighbors! (Well, one of us is sweet!)

• manlyman
    20 years ago

When the "Sweet Betsy" shrub is giving forth its intoxicating fragrance, and the fireflies have started their evening ritual, the wife and I will go out to our backyard..... spread a blanket beside the blueberry orchard......gaze at the stars..... and make love.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

Walking all around the yard looking at all the beautiful blooms ,Listening and looking at the many birds that call our yard 'home',and enjoying the clouds and/or blue sky.
    Marian

• klimkm
    20 years ago

I like to sit and look at the river from my property. Can't beat it for birdwatching, especially in the spring, those warblers are really busy about now.

• rainbowraven
    20 years ago

just sit, with my eyes closed and the sun kissing my face and all the sweet scents teasing my senses.

• naturegurl
    20 years ago

taking a nap in my hammock!!

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Nothing beats walking around with my daughter to see what critters we can find and trying to tell what they are, and if they are 'good guys' or 'bad guys.' It was so cool yesterday when she was telling her friend, "No, don't hurt the worms! They're good in the dirt!" Then she rescued the worm and put it back home under some mulch. I'd say my fav. activity would be observing the effects of my gardening efforts on the people (and critters) who come into the yard.

When alone, I like to sit very still so that all the birds I scared away by walking out there come back and eat bugs or splash in the water - and sing.

• mscarlet
    20 years ago

I have a hammock set up between two maples. Every year I say I am going to lay on it and read one of my latest books. No sooner do I attempt to do this and I have 2 dogs and a 5 year old jumping on the hammock. The dogs run to get their balls and sticks for me to throw for them...Maybe THIS year I'll get to read LOL

• LindaPNW
    20 years ago

Strolling in the back yard holding and talking to Stinky the cat, who always needs attention, while admiring the newly mowed expanse of emerald green lawn and looking at all the new growth on the shrubs and trees and flowers, feeling the warmth of the evening suns rays as they filter through the oak grove, and listening to the birds and watching the hummingbirds, goldfinches and woodpeckers feed.

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

I take my baby brother (he's three) out there, and we look at and discuss lizards, snails, slugs, frogs-(What is that? Why did his tail come off? Did it hurt him? It's bleeding. What are those things on his head? Where are his ears? Can I touch it? Will he bite me?) We taste the herbs I have, pick a few flowers, eat some Sheepsorrel. Life is easy when you're three..

• jillOH
    20 years ago

My favorite thing to do in my garden (besides garden!) is to sit in my aidirondack chair under an awning and look at my garden (very small but cottagey backyard garden that I proudly created from scratch!). My 4 year old son loves to run around and pretend each little section of the garden is a different animal habitat (the shady area with raspberries and climbing hydrangea is the "jungle", the wisteria is the "rainforest canopy", the blue spruce is the "coniferous forest" and so on...) This absolutely delights me because I want my son to appreciate nature (instead of watching TV or playing video games). I'm so proud that he notices when a particular flower is opening or when he sees a plant from our garden in someone's else's garden and says, "Mommy, we have that plant in our garden." He even knows the names of some of the plants. I like having someone to share my love of nature with.

We also have birds nesting in our birdhouse, in a notch in the wisteria right above my son's sandbox, and last year, a bird tried to nest in our mailbox! All this in the very small space of about 1/4 of an acre!

Jill

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Jill - that sounds great! Your son sounds like a born gardener, and he has a great imagination.
    My step-granddaughter was soooo disappointed one day when she couldn't plant any more plants with me and had to go home. She and my step-grandson like to coo over the "cute little baby earthworms". They picked out some great plants at the nursery on their own.
    I just love to lie down in the grass during a quiet time, absentmindedly pull at the grass and daydream in the sun. I haven't done that for a while, though, as it has gotten much louder in this neighborhood.

Sponsored