Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandradisspain_7

theme gardens

I am wanting to start a bibical garden this year .Can you-all help me with some plants with bibical names. Such as Joseph Coat (rose),nicodemus(Mi.primrose),etc.

Comments (30)

• Kathy in KS - Zone 5
    25 years ago

What a beautifu idea! Okay Sandra, hold on to your pew, here we go: Monk's Hood (Aconitum); Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis); Masterwort (Astrantia); Bishop's Hat (Epimedium grandiflorum); Christmas Rose; Lenten Rose; Jacob's Ladder; Solomon's Seal; False Solomon's Seal; Trillium; Immortelle; Crown of Thorns; Angel's Trumpet; Yuletide (Camellia); Carmel Creeper (Ceanothus); Pink Breath of Heaven (Coleonema); Burning Bush; St. John's Wort; Heavenly Bamboo; Jerusalem Sage; Madonna Lily; Easter Lily; Angel's Tears (Narcissus); Star of Bethlehem; Cathedral Windows (Begonia); Prayer Plant; Christmas Fern; Hearld's Trumpet (Beaumontia); and last, but certainly not least...the Jerusalem Artichoke!
    Now, what all did I miss, fellow gardeners?? Kathy in Kansas

• Sandra Disspain - 7
    Original Author
    24 years ago

Kathy, thanks so much for the info! Now I have some where to start.

• Lois - 8
    24 years ago

I really enjoy the summer-blooming bush..Rose of Sharon. It comes in three colors,..mine is pinkish-lavender. The other colors are white, and blue.(true blue too!!)

• enjo - 7-VA
    24 years ago

Go to Amazon or Barnes & Noble, two large online bookstores.
    Each has a handy site search function that will tell you what books on any topic they happen to carry.
    At Amazon, for example, just type in the phrase Bible plants. There are probably about 25 different books listed there, from about a dollar to $10, and up.
    You can either order online, or copy down some of the titles and check at your local library or bookshop.

If you happen to be Catholic and/or want to include plants related to saints, the Bible in general, plants of the Holy Land, etc. ... a friend of mine designed a nice "religious" garden based on a small, interesting, inexpensive booklet called "Saints In My Garden," by Adelma Grenier Simmons, of Caprilands Herb Farm in Coventry CT. The booklet includes several garden layouts. It might also be available through an online or real-world bookshop or your local library. OR, check the website directly at Caprilands Herb Farm and see if they have a listing of Ms, Simmons' books or others for sale.
    (I have another of Ms. Simmons' theme garden booklets, called "Plants of Shakespeare," also very intriguing.).

• Evelyn - 4
    24 years ago

NEAT IDEA_BIBLE GARDEN! you left out a CROWN of THORNS( has stickers),also devils backbone.Write me if you need cuttings ,have lots & lots of them.(devils backbone)O,yeah,how about Lambs ear(succulant)and bleedingheart vine?

• Melanie - 6
    24 years ago

There's also a Heuchera called "Cathedral Windows" to go along with the begonia.

• Sandra Disspain - 7
    Original Author
    24 years ago

Evelyn, what is a devils backbone? I think I would love to have a cutting. Is it for shade or sun?

• Evelyn - 4
    24 years ago

HELLO SANDRA! How are you comming along with your Biblical garden?Did you recieve the devils backbone plants I mailed you? Like the theme ,think I"LL create one!HAPPY GARDENING!:) EVELYN in FL.

• Donna Laing - 6
    24 years ago

I love the idea of a Biblical garden!
    Similar to your Biblical garden, my friend Mark is planting a Virgin Mary garden for his mother as a special gift. The garden will be in Zone 6, part sun to full sun.
    He wants all the flowers and plants to be named either Mary, Madonna, or Lady. So far he has costmary, Madonna Lily, Mary's gold (marigold), lady's bedstraw (supposedly the straw used in the manger). I just gave him a Lady's Mantle.
    I think this is an inspired idea for a gift! Can anyone help? Any suggestions?

• Sandra Disspain - 7
    Original Author
    24 years ago

Evelyn, I received the plant this Sat.Thanks so much! How tall does it get, and I suppose it is to go in full sun? I have been getting my plants together, but have not decided where this garden is going as of yet. Alot of the plants are for sun, but most are shade lovers. I love this forum everyone is so helpful.

• Shirley Harris - 5
    24 years ago

Sandra, there is a ground cover called golden archangel and another--bishop's weed, a white flowering very invasive plant. good luck with your garden.

• Evelyn
    24 years ago

'HELLO Sandra! glad you received the devil backbone plants I sent.They grow in full sun or semi-shade.They grow to about 1 to 2 ft.(root very easy)Think you will enjoy this unusual plant.Protect it from the cold. You could make sure you have a good stock plant to start of your Spring garden.Keep all of your HAPPY GARDNER Friends posted on your Bibical Garden. :) EVELYN N FL

• Susanne - 7
    24 years ago

I plan to plant following next to a chapel in Austria:
    -Helleborus niger (in german 'Christ Rose')
    -Daffodil (in german 'Easter bells')
    -Peonie (german 'Pentacost Rose') "Angel Cheeks"(soft pink-lavender)
    -Iris "Mystique" (white, touch of salmon)
    -Madonna Lily (white)
    -Holy Rose (Rosa richardii): about 3000 years old, planted by early christians near churches
    -Hybrid Tea "Gloria Dei" (also named 'Peace', pale yellow)
    -Austin Rose "Mary Magdalene" (soft apricot-pink)
    -daylily "Sancta" (white, touch of salmon)
    -daylily "Prophet" (winered with orange)
    -Oreganum "Erntedank" (german for 'thanksgiving', pink-purple)
    -Aster "Fellowship" (pale pink)
    -grape vine
    Any more suggestions?

• Susanne - 7
    24 years ago

After some searching I found some more plants to fit in. It's kind of fun looking for plants for a special theme. Here we go:
    -Iris " Harpswell Halleluja" (pale violett)
    -Iris "King of Kings" (white with green)
    -Rose "Star of Bethlehem" (white)
    -Climbing Rose "Ashwednesday" (ashwhite)
    -Achillea "Credo" (lemon yellow)
    -daylily "Serene Madonna" (white, touch of salmon)
    -daylily "Exalted Ruler" (salmon pink)
    Now the difficult part: choosing which ones, because there's not enough room for all!
    The chapel will be painted dark blue. I think the mostly white, yellow or pale pink colors would make a nice contrast. What do you think?

• Corrie - 2b
    24 years ago

Has anyone mentioned the herb "rosemary" yet? Legend has it that the little flowers were white, but turned blue after Mary laid her blue cloak over the bush to dry. Also the poppy "Angels Choir" (all soft colors), and another herb "angelica". What about St. John's wort (hypericum) and asters, traditionally called Michaelmas daisies. I know there's also a flower called angel's breath, but don't know the genus name. Corrie

• Dana - 8b
    24 years ago

Here's another one...Angelonia.
    Great idea!!

• vickie - 7-8
    24 years ago

Donna,
    I'm pretty sure that there is also a David Austin rose called "Mary Rose" my daughters name. Gotta add that one to my garden. I already have a few Jacobs Ladders for her brother.

• Carol
    23 years ago

I am interested in Bibical Garden design. Where can I find designs and plants for this type garden?

• Cat SinclairMuddy Paws - 9ish, SF
    23 years ago

You need some Passion Flower... so named for the shape of the flowers thought to resemble various parts of the "passion of Christ". It's also a really neat vine, and some varieties have edible fruit. (Pasaflora Edulus) (spelling may be incorrect)
    Cat

• GardenGloves
    22 years ago

This might be of use :) Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants in a Biblical Garden

• Beth Gebbie Southern Cal 9
    22 years ago

isn't there a plant out there called "burning bush"?

Here is a link that might be useful: burning bush plant

• MeMyselfAndI
    22 years ago

This site briefly discusses plants around since God created the earth - in the Garden of Eden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia plantation biblical garden

• LeeAnna
    22 years ago

So far, no one's mentioned a dogwood tree. The story goes that the dogwood's branches were used to make the crucifix. Jesus saw that the tree was devistated by this and promised the tree that he would make its branches light and thin so they could never be used for this purpose again, and that the tree would bear flowers in the shape of a cross in remembrance. If you don't have room for the tree, you could use cornus canadensis (bunchberry) - same flowers, but in a groundcover version.

• Joan Leihy
    22 years ago

No one has yet mentioned the Judas Tree (Cercis silaquestris). This is the tree that Judas Iscariot supposedly hanged himself from. It's a beautiful tree with lovely pink flowers in spring.

• Aurore
    22 years ago

I don't think anyone mentioned bible leaf(costmary), so named because reportedly the leaves where used as bible bookmarks. Here's a web page I found when I was looking to check the spelling for costmary.
    http://www.ultraweb.net/~jarvis/bible.htm
    A bible garden sounds like a wonderful fun way to spend time teaching children about the bible.

• Susanne 7
    22 years ago

I finally got our chapel flower bed planted. For each of the flowers I found a bible verse fitting to its name, so when the flower is in bloom there is something special to ponder about.
    I managed to find room for the most I mentioned in my first two posts plus the following ones:

Iris barbata: "Divine Light". "Eau Vive" (living water), "Endless Love", "Eternal Bliss" (this one is blooming now in autumn a second time!, "Feu de Ciel" (fire from heaven), "Genesis", "Glory Bound", "Good Hope", "Heavenly Angels", "Infinite Love", "Joli Coeur" (merry heart), "Celebration Song", "Orange Jubilee" (for the new millenium:-)

Iris nana: "Easter", "Joyful", "Open Sky", "Serenity Prayer"

Phlox "Amazing Grace" and Daylily "Amazing Grace"
    (there is also a rose "Amazing Grace", but I coundn't get this one in Austria)
    Phlox "Alpha" and Phlox "Omega"
    Phlox "Pax", Phlox "Redivivus" (I think this means the same as resurrected)

Daylilies: "Agape Love", "Archangel", "Blessed Trinity", "Christmas Is", "Gentle Shepard", "Heavenly Harp", "Homeward Bound", "King of Kings", "Mercy Me", "Wings of Faith"

Santolina chamaecyparissus (in german called "Saints herb")
    Viola "Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow"
    Ricinus communis ("Palma Christi")

For Donna: Sibylum marianum is also called "Mary's thistle". It grows wild in Israel and a legend says that a drop of milk fell on the ground while Mary nursed Jesus and caused the silverwhite markings on the plant.

Most of the iris and daylilies were sent by two french breeders (Bourdillon and Cayeaux). Does anyone have Kniphofia "Light of the World"? I would like to add this one too, but don't know where to get it.

• caroles_jungle
    21 years ago

I did not see a "Devils Trumpet Bush" mentioned. Datura metel cornucopaea is the name on the tag. I just bought a double with purple trumpet flowers on it.

• cicadae
    21 years ago

I believe I saw a trinity daylily

• june22182
    20 years ago

I'm a reporter doing a story on religious or spiritually-themed gardens. If you're willing to talk with me, please send me a note at june.fletcher@wsj.com.

• katydidkm
    16 years ago

Does anyone know have any information the connection between the fuchsia and the Virgin Mary? Help!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!