Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhine59

Favorite perennial to see come back?

rhine59
20 years ago

It's mid spring here and the Delpheniums are starting to come back! We have a row of 10 of them in our back yard and they are now about a foot tall! We went out today and side dressed them and the Lupines with some duck compost and coffee grounds and now can't wait until they bloom. What a wonderful time of year!

Comments (15)

• jakkom
    20 years ago

My delphiniums croaked :(( but maybe the dwarf kinds aren't as vigorous as the standard tall types.

The gentian sage came back beautifully, though, and the blue of its flowers is almost as good as the delphinium!

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

My absolute favorite for all-around attractiveness, perfuming ability and great garden ambiance (it also plays well with others) is Phlox paniculata 'David'. That's the one that I really wait for. I divided it last year. The more the merrier. Love the stuff, love the stuff, love the stuff (can you tell?)!!

• asturnut
    20 years ago

Alcea because they come back into full force so quickly w/nice foliage!

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Surprisingly, Lily of the Valley is growing abundantly this year. I am so happy and enjoying their heavenly scent.

Supannee
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• diannp
    20 years ago

I really enjoy seeing the first blooms of my Pasque Flower in the early spring. This little guy even blooms before the first daffodils and tulips. Such a nice little flower.

Diann
    Iowa Z5a

• klimkm
    20 years ago

Baptisia Australis. So pretty with blue flower spikes in its very short flowering season. And it gets big so it makes a statement in my garden. Also, the dried seed pods make great "shakers" for the kids to play with. Foolproof so far. So glad I planted it.

• jomarc
    20 years ago

I like to cross tall bearded iris....just for fun. Most are very ordinary looking but one in particular is quite frankly the prettiest iris I have ever seen. It is most definitely in the blue end of the iris spectrum....And it is only here on this earth because I took a little bit of pollen from one plant and placed it on another plant. After that, I just let God do the rest.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

The Jacob's Ladder.I bought 2 in 2001,and liked them so much I bought another last year.Only one came up this spring but it is a lovely plant , and was covered with blooms.
    Marian

• ocbird
    20 years ago

I love my freesias, they get fuller every year.

• sarah_socal
    20 years ago

Hydrangea. There is just something about their ability to go from nothing but a stick to a hugely lush plant in so short a time period that inspires me.

• Bonnyleigh
    20 years ago

No one said hostas.. I absolutely love to see my hostas come back year after year and get bigger and bigger..

• bottley
    20 years ago

Hostas definitely, but my all time favourite is phlox paniculate 'David'.

• shadeeladee
    20 years ago

I love to see the ferns unfurl their fronds from the fiddleheads. Another one I love to see each spring is Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart...Is there anything lovelier?

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

I'm happiest to see the very first - pansies!! The first flower of the year lets you know that spring really is going to come - soon.

• junehl
    20 years ago

Peonies. It's so wonderful to see them come back from the ground with nice lush foliage and gorgeous flowers.