Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy1155

Favorite color combinations?

peggy1155
19 years ago

Just wondering what everyones favorite color combinations for flowers are.

I'm fairly new to having a yard and I'm not really sure what color combinations to try. I don't seem to have that natural "this looks right" type of thing going for me. I thought yellow and red but then I've seen a few posts on GW where people feel that combination is over-used.

So what flower/colors do think look great together?

Peggy in Bucks County, PA

Comments (26)

• homersgarden
    19 years ago

I have gotten into a lot more color matching in the last year. This year I planted my containers by colors. I have some on my back patio that are red, purple and yellow. On my front deck I wanted something more "modern" and went with maroon and bright green. I planted them with coleus, potato vines, etc. I have a few containers that are verigated with light pink that I like too. In terms of my actual garden I LOVE a bed that has all blue toned hostas and other blue toned plants. Another bed has dark maroonish plants euphorbium (spelling?), a maroon colored sedum, a maroon leafed dahlia, and chocolate cosmos.

• plant_manager
    19 years ago

I really like the lavenders, purples, and pinks together. I love persian shield and place it to the back as it gets to be about 4' tall. I grow most of my stuff on the porch in containers so I get to "play" with what colors and plants I use every year.

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

Purple and orange! This is the only pic I have available:

• maynardmarie
    19 years ago

purple, orange and yellow. think it is just eyepopping:-)

• bfroberts
    19 years ago

Ditto the purple and orange. My best combination is the most simple....Dallas Red lantana (orange and a rusty red) with purple mums. Perfect in late summer.

• shadowlover
    19 years ago

Purple from my hostas and the Hyperium daylilies really surprized me. It's so soothing!

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

I just love pink, purple & white. 95% of my plants have these color flowers, with just a few spots of the other colors here'n'there.

OTOH, I LOVE the above pic of orange & purple!

• beigestonehill
    19 years ago

I too love purple and orange, and orange and blue, and orange and pink and orange and gray, orange and white and orange and red guess I just like orange wish I could find more plants that bloom orange. I am also having fun with pure bright yellow and pink together, very cheerful.

• peggy1155
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! I've gotten some great ideas, thank you all! Tracey, that picture is to die for!!! Just beautiful!

• westtxteach
    19 years ago

I try to keep my colors in groups of 3. My favorites are pink & white with a touch of yellow or
    purple & white with a touch of yellow.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

How funny! I like red and pink together. But Mauve and pink.... yeewww! I have a basket of red and pink verbena that is imho, stunning. I get lots of compliments on it and at the time I was taking it to the register, was asked where I got it!

Down here, purple wave petunias and yellow lantana. Everywhere. Garish and while they grow like weeds, are just too harsh for my eyes. But red geraniums and dusty miller? I wish more places had that combination!

• daphnexduck
    19 years ago

I like pink flowers mixed with varigated green/white or gray floliage. Also pink and soft lavendar. I add white everywhere.

Looking at my garden this year, I think the clue is to plant all soft, pale colors together, or all strong, vibrant. My dark pink impatiens looks great with dark blue lobelia.

• CarolAnne
    19 years ago

I try to mix foliage colours as well.

I've got a ring of blue and orange icicle pansies with some blue hostas around purple cherry - looks fab.

White and dark purple little tiny clumps of flowers (sorry, can't remember the name) flanking silver mound, light yellow miniture fox glove under my dark purple jackmanii, bright green oregano surrounding pink and mauve roses, dark pink spirea with deep purple monkshood, and on and on and on.

Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

• marilou
    19 years ago

Ditto on purple and orange! I just added purple, orange, maroon, and blue flowers to a bed with yellow marigolds last night. (Flowers went to half price!) Can't wait to see them "grow up!"

Here's a surprising combination I found in my yard recently.

• marilou
    19 years ago

How about analogous color?

• beigestonehill
    19 years ago

I like almost all colors together but I am especially fond of almost any color with orange. I find orange such an easy color to work with I always wonder why people shy away from it. I am really loving pink, white and silver together this year. I have never been a big pink fan but it has really caught my fancy this year, the hotter the pink the better and it is great with orange.
    Lynn

• dighappy
    19 years ago

I think all the above is great but also love it when you have contrast.....like white with something bright.

• springcherry
    19 years ago

Wish I had a pic (even if just for myself) but my daughter did something with the camera.

For a bit Ive had an overlapping display of: orange day lillies, deep pink and white asiatic and oriental lillies, purple/pink cone flowers, black eyed Susans and red monarda. I've thought its looked pretty darn fine for partial sun. Some, Im sure, would find all those colors too much.

Springcherry

• zouxinfox2003
    19 years ago

I like roses.I cultivate many roses in my garden including
    many kinds of colors.Is there any one who have the same interest with me?

• blulagoon
    17 years ago

Here are my favorite combos, usually three of four colors. Of course in a garden with many different colors its kind of difficult to totally separate color vignettes.
    Orange and purple
    Orange,purple,lime green,magenta, or different combos of them.
    Purple/burgundy/'black' with lime green
    Blue and lime green(ok,lime green with just about anything)
    magenta or hot pink with blue an sometimes yellow thrown in there
    Golden yellow with burgundy
    Orange with burgundy
    orange with 'black'. I know it's so Halloween,but hey,it works and I love Halloween.
    Orange,coral,and magenta(ok, once again, I like orange with just about anything)

• pam_whitbyon
    17 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I saw a hanging basket at the nursery, full of purple trailing Verbena and yellowish gold Million Bells. The combination was stunning! Last weekend I went to 4 or 5 places to look for the million bells and couldnt find any at all. There were some pale yellow which wouldnt have worked at all so I ended up buying peach/apricot million bells. It looks really nice but I still yearn for the other!

• blulagoon
    11 years ago

I've found another combo I love.
    Orange(of course) with blue or violet and yellow.

• antonetteB
    11 years ago

It's pink and blue. Pretty cool one. :)

• mega444
    10 years ago

My favorite color combinations are Purple and green,
    Green and red
    Red and Golden
    Blue and Red

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

My favorite is purple and orange! Color wheel opposites, but snap when confronted with it!

• roxanwright
    9 years ago

My favourite combination of colours is red, yellow and green.
    I adore red and yellow tulips.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services