Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is your fav. sun or shade?

Posted by MeMyselfAndI 5/6 central OH (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 04 at 9:56

Do you prefer gardening in sun or shade? I feel so fortunate to have both full sun and heavy shade areas and it's funny that I want to ask this question because I couldn't answer it if asked of me.

I love the shady areas because they are virtually maintenance-free, weed-free. Weeds that do pop up grow slowly and seem so much easier to pull completely on the first try. Shady spots are just so tranquil and peaceful to the eye, and of course, cooler to be in or work in. Shade flowers are usually more subtle and sedate, although there are certainly many "wow" plants for shade. The key in shade is definitely the foliage. It's all about different shapes, textures, and creating a harmonious yet striking combination from the different shades of mostly green, highlighting with variegations and other colors of foliage.

I love my sunny areas because of all of the beautiful flowers. Most "ooohs and ahhhs" by visitors are directed to this area. And if one wants to pick bouquets, sun plants are a must! But it's much more time-consuming to do the weeding, deadheading, and dividing required to keep things pretty and under control. And the selection of beautiful annuals that love the sun is nearly limitless.

Could you choose just one or the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is your fav. sun or shade?

I prefer sun.

Because I don't have any. Ive got deep shade and Ive got dappled shade and Ive got partial shade, but nowhere on my tiny lump of land is there 6 or more hours of sun a day. You always want a bit of what you don't have. I'd love to be able to grow lavender, sunflowers, poppies, cosmos, veggies, everlastings. I'd love for my roses, morning glories, clematis, etc., to bloom more abundantly.

But I'd hate to give up dappled shade, which is not only lierally a cool pleasure to garden in, but also allows you to play with a wonderful range of plants.

I find such questions --either/or, as almost always impossible for me to answer. I always want the both/and answer.

Oh well,
Springcherry

o

I think if you would ask the plants what they prefer, they would vote for morning sun, afternoon shade.

o

Hmm?? I was asking if people prefer gardening in shade or sun?

o

I prefer gardening in the shade. My absolute favorite time in our garden is around 5:00-7:00 p.m. We get very dabbled sun coming through the tree canopy that creates beautiful blotches of light that dance around in a slight breeze from the tree leaves moving. I try hard to emphasize the scene by planting things like ornamental grasses, chartreuse-leafed hostas, etc. that catch the sun and just glow in this type of light. It's gentle on the plants and gentle on me. There's something so serene and peaceful about it. Our entire property has only either complete shade or dabbled sun/shade. I don't have full-sun envy. Great question...I'm sure there will be as many answers as there are gardeners.

o

My preference would be shade,however, I am shadeless. I love seeing shady gardens with varieties of hostas and gingers and the pastels of shade flowers. So I must enjoy my sunny gardens and live vicariously on garden tours and magazines.

o
RE: Is your fav. sun or shade?.

Shade for myself..... sun for my gardens....... ;) :)I don't have enough of it...... sigh...... lots of oak and sycamore and cherries and maple ...... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here