Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memyselfandi_gw

Is your fav. sun or shade?

MeMyselfAndI
19 years ago

Do you prefer gardening in sun or shade? I feel so fortunate to have both full sun and heavy shade areas and it's funny that I want to ask this question because I couldn't answer it if asked of me.

I love the shady areas because they are virtually maintenance-free, weed-free. Weeds that do pop up grow slowly and seem so much easier to pull completely on the first try. Shady spots are just so tranquil and peaceful to the eye, and of course, cooler to be in or work in. Shade flowers are usually more subtle and sedate, although there are certainly many "wow" plants for shade. The key in shade is definitely the foliage. It's all about different shapes, textures, and creating a harmonious yet striking combination from the different shades of mostly green, highlighting with variegations and other colors of foliage.

I love my sunny areas because of all of the beautiful flowers. Most "ooohs and ahhhs" by visitors are directed to this area. And if one wants to pick bouquets, sun plants are a must! But it's much more time-consuming to do the weeding, deadheading, and dividing required to keep things pretty and under control. And the selection of beautiful annuals that love the sun is nearly limitless.

Could you choose just one or the other?

Comments (6)