Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hubby finally found an interest in the garden!

Posted by Frizzle z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 03 at 12:12

now my only job is going to be FINDING the plants to go with this new found interest.

was reading on the daylily forum and found the name EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as a favorite yellow variety. now hubby thinks a Star Wars garden would be great and he'd LOVE to help. YIPPEE i say but then i think - ok - what ELSE os out there with names from the movies?

any suggestions of plants you know? imperial, alliance, rebel, luke, vadar, you get the idea.......

any suggestions for where to look for names like this?

thanks!
Friz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hubby finally found an interest in the garden!

• Posted by reaggae Sunset 24 L.A. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 03 at 16:52

How about:
"Crown Imperial" (fritillaria imperialis) -dramatic flowering plants - zones 5-9.
"Starfighter" Oriental Lily zones 3-8
I'm sure I saw a plant called Darth Vader - but I cannot remember if it was an iris, a tulip, or...?

o

• Posted by reaggae Sunset 24 L.A. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 03 at 17:01

Found it - but it's an orchid. It's called Dark Stars Darth Vader. I also saw a Coleus named Darth Vader.

o

For some reason I thought of Persicaria "Lance Corporal".

o

I suppose he would be more excited about 'Enterprise' roses (as in "Star Trek") than 'Scarlett O'Hara' roses.

o

lol - yes wendy - i suppose you are right! but at least this topic has him *thinking* about the garden instead of saying the "oh, they all look the same to me" comment when i ask about it.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone! keep em coming if you have any - i did the search here on garden web AND on line but haven't had much luck narrowing it down to plant names anywhere -all i get are fan sites about star wars and such......

:)
Friz

o

Wookie by Patrick Stamile
Empire Returns
A whole Jedi series
And then just for a Sci-Fi themed garden...
Exotic Empire
Stargate
Doppler Effect
Gamma Quadrant
Supreme Empire
SpaceCoast Starburst
Notify Ground Crew
George Jets On

All the above are daylilies.

o

I just stumbled onto this subject. My DH and I are HUGE Star Wars fans! Even my screen name is from SW. I was watching HGTV one Saturday recently and I swear Paul James said he had a Viburnum that was called "Jedi". Anyone heard of it? Frizzle, if you are still on this forum, how has your husband gotten on with his great idea of a Star Wars garden? My husband's ears perked up when I read him this post. Thanks for any ideas or names/types of plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here