Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

New Favorite Garden Show -- 'The City Gardener'

alison
18 years ago

I've only seen this show a few times, but as an urban gardener with pretty limited space and not much money, I'm really liking it. Matt James is apparently a well-known urban gardener with a few books to his credit. (Have to check those out!) While the show suffers from the same 'limited-budget-limited-time' conceit as the rest of these make-over shows, James is very personable and knowledgeable, seems to really incorporate what the home/flat owners want, and does a great job of explaining the plants needs and what to look for at the garden center.

It's English, so the particular plants may not be appropriate, but he does a great job of turning neglected spaces into great living spaces. And when the English say 'small spaces' -- they really mean it! It's made me look at the little garden behind my apartment building differently; as a semi-public room, rather than a truncated backyard. The big drawback is that it only airs Saturday nights at 11!

Anyone else enjoying this show?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• alison
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Guess I can't link to the Home and Garden network

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

I've seen it a few times. I'm usually not up that late!

I enjoy it for the same reasons you do  for the ideas rather than plant suggestions. I wish it was on at other times. Usually HGTV reruns stuff to death (which I don't mind)!

• alison
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Neat garden this weekend.

Very narrow, long space, the front half of which had been a parking space complete with swing arm garage door in the brick wall on the street. The owner was a bachelor with very little gardening experience, who was looking for a place to hang out with his friends after a night out with his friends.

They replaced the door with a roll-up tambor style door, so future owners could easily convert it back to a parking space if they wanted. The took out the brick divider in the middle, then placed simple decking and brick planter boxes on the diagonal. The bulk of the money they spent was on the door and on lighting -- uplighting for the plants and down lighting for the conversation areas.

They picked really nice, structural plants that were very low maintenance and cast dramatic shadows on the walls.

Wasn't necessarily to my taste, but it was perfect for the owner and turned out really well. You could see how much it added to the current owners enjoyment -- and the re-sale value.

• dudleydorite
    18 years ago

glad amy casually mentioned it was on HGTV, i'd have never thought of it.

maybe it should have its own thread but Rebecca's Garden is back, also on HGTV, at 6am central every day. used to be on regular tv saturday afternoon, then went to 5:30 am, then gone. saw her only a couple of times on the Rose Parade with paul james. she has a great show.

glad i accidentally found this forum. regards, dick

• rich204
    18 years ago

Yes,

i love this show.i stay up on saturday night just to see it.is any one aware if it is on another hour.......eastern time?

the host is very knowladgable,

richard

• wanderoze
    18 years ago

Richard....I've been catching the show on Sunday mornings at 10:00am on HGTV. I love this show!!

• Susan Garrison
    18 years ago

I hated this show. No creativity, just blah, hum-drum the two times I watched it. After seeing your posts, perhaps I'll give it another look.

• coastalsav
    18 years ago

I really enjoy this show also-but sometimes I can't understand what he's saying! Interesting designs, and good use of space-I just wish it was on earlier.

• Carole39
    18 years ago

I'm just seeing it now Sunday night at 11pm and 3am. (HGTV) I think he's Great!

• wildson
    18 years ago

My favorite aspect of this show is that Matt James loves gardening, and the producers of the show carry that over to the viewer. So many garden shows have hosts that aren't gardeners, or that don't inspire. I watch City Gardener and feel like I could spend a day gardening with this guy and both have fun and learn a lot.

My biggest fear is that HGTV will pull it because it's British... and we Americans can tend to be a little afraid of accents. If you love this show, don't forget to let HGTV know how you feel so they will keep it on the air.

Sponsored