Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_gw

Favorite UNIQUE flower for cutting or pots

Amy
22 years ago

I don't want to grow the same stuff as everyone else--so, what is your favorite flower with attitude, flair, or personality?

Comments (14)

• jane_in_il5
    22 years ago

Turtles Head (Chelone oblique)

This is one of my favorite perennials. It isn't necessarily for cutting or pots, but it's one of my most unique plants because I seldom see it in garden centers and don't know anyone else who has it in their garden.

First, I love the common name, Turtles Head. It grows as 30" leafed stalks, in the late summer/fall each is topped with unusual pink flowers. The buds look like little turtle heads poking out of a shell, thus the name Turtles Head.

And it's a gardeners delight, I've never done anything special for this plant and it continues to thrive and perform for me. Although a stalky plant, the stalks are stiff and I have never had to stake it. It spreads to form a nice clump in several years, but isn't at all invasive, just sits right there where you put it and does it's thing. Nice deep green color for the folage and is in full folage early in the year. I'm in zone 5 and have never mulched or done anything special. Just remove each years growth before the new growth starts (sometimes in the fall, sometimes early in spring, whenever I get to it.)

So there's my vote, Turtles Head. A great plant with a unique name.

• Dianna_in_WA
    21 years ago

Oregon Grape - grows wild around here, and I enjoy cutting it to use in Christmas arrangements and wreaths.

Dianna

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Well I wont raddle on again my answer to that is Irises some say they dont make good cut flowers but theyve been pretty good for me.

• mjsee
    21 years ago

Tuberoses! They are beautiful, they smell FANTASTIC, and very few people grow them. Probably because they are a pain--you have to lift them in the fall...Melanie

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Still love irises

• Sally_D
    20 years ago

balsam-flowers all summer

• SnowOwlMoon
    20 years ago

When a co-worker retired, we had a going-away party, and we were asked to bring flowers from our gardens to put in a bouquet as a table centerpiece. I didn't have much at the time, so I cut some sprigs of Rosemary. Darn if that didn't make a nice, evergreen background in the bouquet.

I have also used Star Magnolia, in the catkin phase. Cut some twigs, stick them in water, and in a few days, the catkins will burst open into large, white flowers.

• Jepa
    20 years ago

Oriental Poppy. SO charming and early!

• jakkom
    20 years ago

Trachelium, or throatwort, which I picked up from Annie's Annuals, a local grower who specializes in unusual plants (no mail order, sorry!). Big fluffy purple flowerheads which contrasted beautifully with the purple agapanthus flowers in a bouquet last year.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lookingglassgarden
    20 years ago

I like Strawberry Fields Gomphrena. It grows tall and is great for a cut flower in an arrangement but can also be dried.

I also like to use Coleus in flower arrangements.

I have a turtle head plant but its not doing real well. I dont think it likes where it is at, so I might try moving it. It is a conversation plant especially with the kids.

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Alstroemeria psittacina, I love it mainly for it's beautious winter foliage but the azalea/lily looking blooms in very early summer make very long-lasting and unique flower arrangements.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    20 years ago

Is mock orange the same old stuff? I love mine and rarely see anyone with one that is as particularly fragrant as mine.

• pearlgirl
    20 years ago

Salvia turkistanica....it has large, crumplish, gray-green leaves that are unique all alone...flowers are white with a slight hint of green and lavender that covers the stalks. I started them from seed from T&M and they seem to self sow very well.

• designingwoman
    20 years ago

Tibouchina--I winter it over indoors. It's not really a great flower for cutting, but it's beautiful in a pot. I'm also a fan of trachelium, and I plant it in large containers with strobilanthes, scavaeola, and angelonia--heavenly combination of purple/blue tones that blooms all summer.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor