Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memyselfandi_gw

Your favorite gardening hat?

MeMyselfAndI
20 years ago

If you're like me, you are always trying to find 'the right hat' to keep the sun off of your face. In a perfect world, the wind would never blow strong enough to take the cliché wide-brim straw gardening hat off of my head, but here where I live, few and far between are the days when I can actually wear this kind of hat without constantly chasing it. I've been wearing baseball caps but they are so tight, my head gets too hot. But today I found 'IT' - a perfect hat! It's a medium blue denim, fits snugly, but not tight, has a big, floppy brim, and it's washable. AND, with the brim being floppy, I can drive with it on, too. I think it's a hippie hat. I'm in all my glory!

Comments (22)

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

The small-brimmed floppy one my husband stole from me to take fishing with him. He calls it "his" now. I try to humor him. Also, a wide-brimmed straw hat with a chin tie is a nice one I got from Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's old home).

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

I don't ever wear one.. I tie my unruly curly hair back from my face with whatever I lay my hand on- such as dead Iris leaves, a strip of bark, some string that I was using to stake up something...

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

LOL Violet Girl! Are you wearing a "Jane-of-the-jungle leaf bikini" when you tie your hair up with bark and dead leaves?

• valeriegail
    20 years ago

My Veseys hat. It belonged to my father and when he died I got it as I am the only one who gardens in the family. He had this hat for years and I always liked it. When I wear it, which is every time I'm outside, I feel like he is with me and admiring the flowers. The hat is old and dirty and I don't want to wash it for fear of harming it, it's my lucky garden hat.

• hopflower
    20 years ago

I have a wonderful typical straw garden hat with a wide brim. I decorated it with some grape leaves and grapes, faux of course, but they are sadly faded now.

• Susiebelle
    20 years ago

I like to pin my hair up and put a visor on. The kind with the terry cloth liner to absorb the sweat. And you can get these at Wal-Mart for 2/$3.00, in all different colors.

I wish they made big straw hats in sizes. One-size-fits-all hats are always too small. Guess I have a big head!

• PrairieLady
    20 years ago

Years ago, I found a straw hat with a wide brim and a chin strap. I have a terrible time with deer flies, they bite and leave me bleeding and I swell up with big knots. And they really like my face, especially around my eyes so I end up looking like a freak. (Whenever I use bug repellant it makes my skin burn and they still bite around my eyes!) So I sewed netting around my hat that I can pull down and have elastic around my neck, so they can't get up under it. I get a lot of laughs when people see me in it, but I love it anyway. Oh, and Susiebelle it came in sizes since I have the same problems with one size fits all. Unfortunately, it's starting to wear out so one day I will have to start looking for a new one.

• dedoverde
    20 years ago

I am too rambunctious in the garden and cannot keep a hat on. The wide-brimmed Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms hats get in the way. I would need something in a size 7-5/8 with a chin strap--maybe a doughboy hat from WWI with air and Chi/Chakra vents. Hmmm, what's a Vesey's hat, ValerieGail? You've got me curious.

• clutterbugs
    20 years ago

i have a couple of th e2/$3 from wallyworld and have taken my sharpie markers in many colors and drawn flowers,vines and bugs on them,...so cute...i also wrote my fav new name on one,nanna! gotta find some in granddaughter elli`s "15 mos.> size for when she helps me deadhead the flowers,i pick and toss dead ones as she picks and smells the good ones...lol...hold to lil button nose,deep breath,mmmmm and then holds them out for nanna saying `dis?...what fun she is...
    i also got 2 really nice visors "one tan~one navy/with butterflies embroidred on them) at a yard sale, 25 cents for the both of them and they are new!!!! so i can now just grab whatever hat is handy as i slip out the door before the phone rings,the cats meow,the dog wants another walk or dbf finds something else he wants help with...lol ..beth of the many hats....

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Awww!! I so enjoyed hearing about the 'help' your granddaughter offers! How sweet! She's truly a 'little nipper.'

I've gotten so used to having my hat on, I wore mine to bed the other night, didn't notice until it felt funny when I put my head on the pillow.

• springcherry
    20 years ago

Ahhh--the quest for the perfect hat.

Yes, another big head here, so at least 3/4s of whats marketed is impossible to start with. I want something that keeps the sun off, which means a decent rim that shades the sides of my face as well as the front. Then, of course, there's the pesky vanity factor. And if it goes with my clothing even better. All this sets me me up as a hat collector. Which is almost as enjoyable a hobby as gardenening.

So my favorite gardening hat? Hmmm ... I guess I havent found it yet. So gosh darn it, that means I still have to keep looking.

Springcherry

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

You know, I think I know where you can look, DedoVerde and Springcherry. My husband went fishing but forgot his hat, which was really my hat that I gotten to garden with (see my first post). I said I would find him a hat in town while he fished, so I went into sort of a "general store" for fisherpeople, where they cater to many of the fishermen and women that come through the town. They had dozens and dozens of hats to choose from. The one I picked out has a rim about two inches wide, and mesh all the way around on the bottom of the crown so you don't the air gets to the top of your head. It also has a chin strap, and it's cute, believe it or not! In it, I like to imagine myself as something of a female Crocodile Dundee. The style looks something like the hats shown on the page at the link below.

Hey, if he can steal my garden hat, I can steal his fishing hat. Right?

Here is a link that might be useful: similar hat style

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

I meant to say the mesh helps keep your head cool. It's soome kind of preforated fabric. :-)

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

LOL yes, that sounds fair to me, Wendy. ESPECIALLY since you did the shopping while DH was fishing! The hats from your link do look comfortable. The floating had made me think - do most hats sink? LOL!

• CarolO
    20 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a baseball hat I saw at a crafts fair on this guy that says "Growing A Better World" on the front?

• GibsonGirl
    20 years ago

I will get sunburned after more a half hour outdoors, even with SPF30 or 45, so I bought one of those sun protector hats a few years ago and I use that to garden in. Not sure which online retailer I bought it from but the hat itself is called "The Adventure Hat" and it is the first style that's illustrated at the link below. Mine is white with the dark lining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun protection gardening hat

• Roberta_z5
    20 years ago

I like the straw hats with the chin strap. I too have a big head. What you can do is wet the hat down thoroughly and wear it till it dries. It will stretch and fit your head perfectly!! I wear the hats more to keep the bugs away and the hair out of my face than the sun.

• jepper
    20 years ago

I know this is an old post, but any luck finding a great garden hat for those with a "big head?" (like me!)

• annafl
    20 years ago

Hey, they may not be very stylish or cheap, but they are the best gardening hats we've ever had. They are from a sun protection wear company called Sun Precautions and are made from sun protective material. I have the one they call women's cotton sun hat. It has a 5 inch brim and a chin strap. It comes in sizes s-xl. My husband wears one called wide brim crusher. It has a 4 inch rim and a chin strap. It comes in sizes s-2xl. Look under wide brim hats at their website. www.sunprecautions.com. They are expensive, but are comfortable and last forever.
    Anna

• anthirum
    20 years ago

My hat is perfect for keeping off the sun, is big but very lightweight, air-circulates underneath it...it is the conical asian hat that farmers in asia use. I got it from a vietnamese stall...very cute!
    have a look:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/asia/conicalhats06.shtml

• docmom_gw
    20 years ago

Try Sun Precautions as recommended by AnnaFL. I'm a red-headed Family Doctor with a personal history of skin cancer. I also have two young children who love to be outside as much as I do. Sun Precautions offers many styles of hats for all ages and sizes. I think I have one of each! But, no one in my family goes anywhere outside without a hat and sunscreen--so they have to be comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Precautions

• donnaskinner
    19 years ago

Get out very early with sunblock on. No hat. I don't like the hot and sweaty things on my head.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource