Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadeeladee

Your top 5 perennials for shade

shadeeladee
20 years ago

The subject line says it all...What are your five favorite perennials for shade?

Are they any you had no luck with whatsover and will never try again?

Comments (16)

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

I absolutely can't live without violets, geranium maculatum, hostas, bergenia cordifolia, polemonium caeruleum.

I've given up on lupines - in the shade or the sun. ...For now anyway.

• rhine59
    20 years ago

Hostas, Primulas, Spiderwort, Monkshood, can't come up with a fifth.

• diannp
    20 years ago

Hosta, pulminaria, ligularia, brunaria (like them aria's), asiatic lily. ;) I could go on and on,, but I'll limit it to five. ;)

Diann
    Iowa Z5

• springcherry
    20 years ago

Lungworts, Columbines, Monkshoods, Cordalys and Hardy Begonias. Perhaps Campanulas and hardy Geraniums too, I havent tried them all yet. In general, I would love to see a wider choice of summer and fall blooming shade perrenials with REAL flowers on them.

JTFR Im sick of Hostas. I have them, I use them but I most surely do not love them.

Springcherry

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

Hosta,Astilbe,Meadow Sweet,Bloodroot,Merry Bells
    Can't think of any I would never plant again.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago
    1. Heuchera

2. Primula

3. Bergenia

4. Solomon's Seal

5. Yellow Foxglove

• glad_grammy
    20 years ago

1. Astilbe
    2. Pulmonaria
    3. Lobelia/Cardinal Flower
    4. Cranesbill/Hardy Geranium
    5. Columbines

Hard to pick just 5 cause my shade garden is my favorite [right now] and I love the Heucheras/Coral Bells, Lily of the Valley, Eupatorium, Goatsbeard, violas, Johnny Jump Ups, Painted fern, Lamium, Bleeding hearts, Ajuga, and Hostas too!!!! Love them all! :-]

• woodviolet
    20 years ago

in no particular order:

ferns
    columbines
    pulmonaria
    hosta
    myosotis

• daisydolphin
    20 years ago

Painted ferns, selaginella, lily of the valley, tiarella, astilbe...and hosta, I know that's 6 but hostas are in a class by themselves!

• jakkom
    20 years ago

1) annual lobelia -- love that rich blue color!
    2) callas -- white or colored, although the whites are bullies that try to take over all the beds
    3) dwarf rhododendrons -- I have one that is fragrant, what a treat
    4) abutilon pictum 'Thompsonii' -- I love abutilons, and this one is the prettiest, IMHO
    5) clivia -- just planted two of them a month ago, one orange and the other red. Great foliage, too!

• treacle
    20 years ago

Hostas
    Ferns
    Epimediums
    Heucheras
    Brunneras

• Bullnettle
    20 years ago

Texas gold columbine, pigeonberry, salvia coccinea, salvia regla, Brazon penstemon

• billsgirl
    20 years ago

Hostas,Epimediums,Ferns,Solomon's Seal,Columbines

• Shadyflwrs
    20 years ago

Many of the plants mentioned above are favorites, but some of them are part shade plants for me. For SHADE my favorites are:
    Brunnera
    Omphalodes
    Primulas
    Painted Fern
    Maidenhair Fern

The most difficult shade perennials I have tried is blue Corydalis. Unless they come up with a more heat tolerant form, I will not try it again.

Also difficult for me are Astilbes. They seem to need a little morning sun, constant moisture and high fertility without the use of commercial fertilizer. I killed several chlorotic looking plants with just a touch of fertilizer. I use blood meal now for nitrogen and organic fertilizers and they seem to be doing better, but time will tell. I have killed about 25 so far, but I like them so well I keep trying. I think I finally have the key to success.

Though not a perennial, my favorite shade plants for huge bloom impact are Camellias and Rhododendrons. Camellias are the easiest.

• Leslie_trapper
    20 years ago

Liqularia, Heart Leaf Brunnera, lungwart, Goats Beard, Anemone, lenton rose are my favorites.

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Strelitzia, Artabotrys, Mangifera, Eugenia and Tamarindus. I said that I would not try to grow Acer again until
    a trip out of town to the northern part of Arizona when a few of the delicate lacy foliage hitched a ride home with me. LOL!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

Sponsored