Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memyselfandi_gw

Favorite dark purple perennial?

MeMyselfAndI
20 years ago

What is your favorite really dark purple perennial?

I'll start with Iris.

Comments (23)

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Stroblianthus dyeriana.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

Oh! Nigella! That's beautiful! I've never seen it before.
    I'll pick my 'The President' clematis--at least it looks dark purple to me,And it's already had ten blossums ,with eight more coming on.
    OhOh,that probably doesn't qualify for the question!!Oh well.
    I don't think I have a dark purple perennial!!

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

I forgot my irises!!!!!!!!!1

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Zone envy! Persian shield is not a perennial here, but mine came inside. I love it so much I got another one last week and put it right in the ground. You're right-on with this one, nigella! Do yours ever flower? The potted one I've had for a few years makes a flower once in while inside, but not outside. Do you know what triggers them to bloom?

I saw some beautiful dark purple columbine this afternoon, too. Love it!

• Nigella
    20 years ago

MMM, there are a lot of things that don't grow well here, it's a trade off. I usually(I haven't gotten around to it this year) pick the blooms off, they take away from the vigor of the leaves, which become very sparse and thin about the time it blooms in the spring. I wish I could be more help.

• ninamarie
    20 years ago

Malva sylvestris 'Bibor Felho.' Like a hollyhock on steroids. Great deep purple-black colour and it blooms all summer.

• paulyn
    20 years ago

Little purple violets that have violet tinge to their leaves. They bloom all summer in the shade if I keep them deadheaded, but if I don't, the foliage is very nice. Great groundcover and charming. Pest-free.
    Spread fairly rapidly and easy to control. The perfect plant.

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

(How's this for a delayed reaction? LOL!)

Thanks, nigella. :+)

The malva you mention sounds neat-o, ninamarie. Thanks.

paulyn, I don't think I've seen a violet like you describe. Would you know it's latin name? Sounds sweet! I LOVE violets of any kind.

• fishcookie
    20 years ago

Heliotrope, here. Luscious plum purple, wonderfully scented. Blooms year 'round in my garden.

• Loboto_Me
    20 years ago

Omg you mean heliotrope is actually a perenial? So, if i took the heliotrope inside for the winter (zonal deficient), I could have it once again the next spring?

• Loboto_Me
    20 years ago

Mispelled "Perennial"! Gosh! I knew the preview was for a reason!

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Preview - LOL! Yes, heliotrope is really a tender perennial. I knew I was asking for major zone envy with this question. Oh well, that's ok. I wish I could afford to have a big mass of heliotrope!

• ninamarie
    20 years ago

Heliotrope is usually sold inexpensively as a bedding annual in the spring. I hate to admit it, but the white usually seems much more fragrant.
    The purple varieties are easy to raise from seed, but tend to lose their fragrance.
    But you can strike cuttings from both the white and purple fairly easily.

• FlowersR4Me
    20 years ago

Delphinium.

• tnflowergal
    20 years ago

I'm new to gardening, but I found a purple clover oxalis (I think that's right). It's especially pretty when the lilac flowers are blooming.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    20 years ago

Not really a perennial, but a tender shrub, black knight buddleia. And I love mealy cup salvia. A perennial in my area.

• emmi331
    20 years ago

I must confess a weakness for my purple balloon flowers. They are so cute just before opening, then they pop! into that starry shape. They are easy-care, and bloom all summer in my garden.

• Dswan
    20 years ago

Another vote for irises. A close second is my penstemon whippleanus blooms. Very dark purple and they hang gracefully downwards. But what would late spring be without purple irises.

• Lizzym
    20 years ago

salvia caradonna; euphorbia dulcis 'chamaeleon'; sedum caucasicum 'matrona'; and allium phaerocephalum, oh and iris pallida 'claret' and iris pumila 'little dream'. I guess some of the first plants are more burgundy than purple, but they share the same palette.

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

I don't know what it is called- i think it is a kind of wisteria that is so dark purple it is nearly black, with a more burgundy base. It stinks really bad though.

• ninamarie
    20 years ago

Has anyone tried Sedum 'Purple Emperor'? Incredible deep, somewhat glossy purple foliage. Mine is just about to flower, but if it never did, I'd still love this plant. Possibly the best purple I've ever grown.

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hmm... I wonder if that's the broken piece of Sedum I 'rescued' while shopping a couple mos. ago...? Very purple foliage.

Great ideas from everyone!

• Shadyflwrs
    20 years ago

Campanula 'Kent Bell', very long blooming. Lovely plant.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?