Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirteensqirrlz

Favorite or unusual garden ornaments

Thirteensqirrlz
18 years ago

What is your favorite or most unusual garden ornament you have seen? For instance, I have a giant artemisia that has a chevy tailight of its very own... What do you have?

Elizabeth

Comments (9)

• Katrinawitch
    18 years ago

My favorite may not be that unusual, as I've seen it in a couple of catalogs, but I have a big gazing globe with a metal "Saturn Ring" around it, that I've had for a couple of years, and now has a great patina to it.

I'm definitely not a gazing-globe person, but I'm a witch/pagan, and love anything with a start/planet/moon theme. The base is three joined crescent moons, and the "ring" has a lot of cool astrological-looking symbols on it. I wish I had a pic! I'll have to take one, and post it later.

• janroze
    18 years ago

I love armillaries sp? - the arrow with two circles around it and classic garden statues and fountains.
    What I saw that I really thot was great was the head board of an old iron bed used as trellis for a small vine. It looked great in her yard along with ALL her other stuff - in my garden, it would have looked like a junk yard. Go figure.
    jan

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

Fairy statue next to my front door. She is so elegant, mystical, I just love her!
    My garden is full of "garden jewlerly" as I call it, and when it's in full bloom it looks really good. Everywhere there is something hidden, like a surprise. I know it is easy to get overboard with garden chachkas...so I am always watching for the right balance and class.

• philomena
    17 years ago

I'm the same at you, natalie4b - I have all sorts of little guys all over the place - frogs, gnomes, pixies, even dragons - but my favorite is a bright blue, round hobbit door that I have placed up against a rock ledge. I put in a couple little brick steps leadng up to it and a small dragon at the door - my little nieces and nephews are convinced that it's real, and watch the door veeeerrry closely - I have had so much fun with this !

philomena

• kristal
    17 years ago

My favorite ones are the cheap plastic boy and girl statues you can get from Walmart. I love the little boy doing somersaults, the one trying to catch frogs, the slide, the swing. I have very limited choices in my town.

• gracegardens
    17 years ago

My favorite garden ornament is my purple bowling ball. It is the perfect accent in early summer when my garden is in its "purples" and I love enjoying the gift that the personalized ball was everyday--even though I'm not a bowler!

• cranebill
    17 years ago

Hi,

I found a strange stone in the nearly perfect shape of an isoscoles triangle and about a foot tall in the middle of a paved biking trail in Pennsylvania, in the vicinity of a "blowdown" from a tornado that had struck the area two days before. I move it around during the season. Sometimes I use it to accent the entrance to my front door, and sometimes I place it on or near a cairn of other stones I've collected.

cranebill

• pieohmy
    16 years ago

In our area metal workers like to make giant scrap sculptures for their yards. I recently spotted two very large (8 ft at least) T-rex's in someones yard. This was in a very large yard so it was not too terrible looking. There is what we call the muffler man that stands in front of a metal recycling place that waves to all that pass. And the mechanic shop that uses an upside down car on a pole as thier shop sign is truly unique (name of the shop and phone number is written on the side). My husband groans when I tell him that I will one day have such a scrap sculpture in my yard.

There is a long standing tradition in Baton Rouge for people to place very large pink flamingos in thier yards during Mardi Gras. Yes it is garish but it doesnt last long and it is funny to see them. LSU even gets in on the action and puts them by the lakes for all to see from the interstate. One house puts (once again) huge metal pink flamingos in thier yard every year. The flamingos are very well done and look really expensive. Anyway, it is also tradition for parade goers and riders to wear lots of pink!

Here is a link that might be useful: loving pink flamingos

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I have angels(all sizes) white Quartz rocks and unusual local rocks and small realistic animals.

I collect angels and i love a naturalistic look.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz