Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i love lychnis

Posted by keithdirt z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 15:32

OK, it's been a long long time since i've posted here, but i had to come back to tell you all of my new favorite perennial.

Lynchis (x arkwrightii 'Vesuvius' in particular) is a great performer, before, during and after flowering and if you deadhead it, you get two batches of blooms.

Before? Fantastic germination rates! Great chocolatey-purple leaves that put a nice difference to all the green during april and may.

During? Fantastic BRIGHT red blooms that glow and don't fade all during the season. And, as mentioned, treat them right and you get two shows. Also, these are non-invasive and stay in nice, neat clumps, each year getting taller, up to about a foot. So, if you are the "Formal" type of gardener, know this is not a messy plant.

After? LOTS of seeds you can bring indoors and start trays with in March, easy to maintain and you still have the nice dark leaves until frost.

What more could you want out of a perennial except that it was nearly impossible to find retail and I had to do trays in order to get them.

When i get a chance, i'll post a picture link to show mine off...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i love lychnis

I agree! Also called Maltese Cross, yes, a gorgeous bright red. I'm growing this for the first time and I love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here