Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalyn_gw

Is this the funny forum or what?

karalyn
21 years ago

Hi! I was told by my rose forum friend that there is a forum that is quite chatty and relaxed. Unlike the rose forum that can get quite serious. Is this the forum she was talking about or is there another one?

Karalyn

Comments (18)

• Pidge
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Karalyn, try the Garden Party. I hang out there all the time and enjoy it a lot. No flaming, lots of warmth and concern for others--give it a shot.

• Fluid_Floyd
    21 years ago

Watchout for those silly composters, too...

• karalyn
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks people,
    I have been to a renunion and couldn't check out the other sites. Silly composters....huh....we'll have to see about that. *G*

Karalyn

• karalyn
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I went to the compost site, it looks good. Though I couldn't stay long. Thanks for the tip1
    karalyn

• texas_eyes
    21 years ago

Huh????????

• chaos_quilt
    21 years ago

Garden Junk is another forum full of kind, supportive, and very funny people. Lots of forums are informative, but the junkers are always good for a smile, and very welcoming to newcomers.

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

My ma ma always told me :FUNNY IS AS FUNNY DOES.Spread joy and contentment its contagious ,Well in this screwed up world I hope it does catch on.So Karalyn if you find no pleasure here follow some leads maybe its there.To each his own or water seeks its own level.If we cant be happy what can we be?

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Its capable of becoming so

• karalyn
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks you guys. I'm fine with the forums I visit, I was just told by a friend on the rose forum that there is a funny one that covers more than the main topic of a certain flower. Although I haven't been to the other ones recommended, I will sure give them a try. Just been busy getting my pond finished and roses, clematis, and cranesbill planted. Along with all my plant exchanges.

Karalyn

• Lindy_B
    21 years ago

Come on over to garden junk..!! These girls are great and very very creative....I f you need an idea for display or interest , you will get 4 replies at least!!! They are great, I am fairly new there, but they made me feel like an old friend.

• deadheader
    21 years ago

If you're looking for the Funny Farm, Garden Junk is hands down the place to go. They're hilarious, creative, unselfish, and very loving at the same time. Hey, they pulled me out of the cyber closet. Now they probably secretly wish I would have kept that door locked.LOL.......Terry

• Lindy_B
    21 years ago

Is there a possible followup to this...???? heeeheeeeee where are we now???

• karalyn
    Original Author
    21 years ago

HI Lindy B,

Well, something must be funny if I'm up at 2:30 in the morning!!! LOL I think I can sleep now, but maybe I should relay a story if I can paste it here.

One story is a forward I got on a garden snake. Now if anyone that would laugh at a garden snake story would have to belong to the Garden Website. Haha.

Here goes: If not, then the little green snake swallowed me up!
    Be sure to read to the END for my snake story! Cheers!

Garden Snakes are DANGEROUS!
    > Author Unknown
    >
    > Green garden grass snakes can be dangerous.
    >
    > Yes, grass snakes, not rattlesnakes. A couple in
    > Sweetwater, Texas had a lot of potted plants, and
    > during a recent cold spell, the wife was bringing a
    > lot of them indoors to protect them from a possible
    > freeze. It turned out that a little green garden grass
    > snake was hidden in one of the plants and when it had
    > warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it go
    > under the sofa. She let out a very loud scream.
    >
    > The husband, who was taking a shower, ran out into the
    > living room naked to see what the problem was. She
    > told him there was a snake under the sofa. He got down
    > on the floor on his hands and knees to look for it.
    > About that time the family dog came and cold nosed him
    > on the rear. He thought the snake had bitten him and
    > he fainted.
    >
    > His wife thought he had a heart attack, so she called
    > an ambulance. The attendants rushed in and loaded him
    > on the stretcher and started carrying him out.
    >
    > About that time the snake came out from under the sofa
    > and one of the Emergency Medical Technicians saw it
    > and dropped his end of the stretcher. That's when the
    > man broke his leg and why he is still in the hospital.
    > The wife still had the problem of the snake in the
    > house, so she called on a neighbor man. He volunteered
    > to capture the snake. He armed himself with a
    > rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the
    > couch. Soon he decided it was gone and told the woman,
    > who sat down on the sofa in relief.
    >
    > But in relaxing, her hand dangled in between the
    > cushion where she felt the snake wriggling around.
    > She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back under
    > the sofa, and the neighbor man, seeing her laying
    > there passed out tried to use CPR to revive her. The
    > neighbor's wife, who had just returned from shopping
    > at the grocery store, saw her husband's mouth on the
    > woman's mouth and slammed her husband on the back of
    > the head with a bag of canned goods, knocking him out
    > and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed
    > stitches.
    >
    > An ambulance was again called when it was determined
    > that the injury required hospitalization.
    >
    > The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she
    > saw her neighbor lying on the floor with his wife
    > bending over him, so she assumed he had been bitten by
    > the snake. She went to the kitchen, brought back a
    > small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the
    > man's throat. By now the police had arrived. They saw
    > the unconscious man, smelled the whiskey, and assumed
    > that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to
    > arrest them all, when the two women tried to explain
    > how it all happened over a little green snake. The
    > ambulance arrived and took away the neighbor and his
    > sobbing wife. Just then the little snake crawled out
    > from under the couch. One of the policemen drew his
    > gun and fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the
    > leg of the end table that was on
    > one side of the sofa. The table fell over and the lamp
    > on it shattered and as the bulb broke, it started a
    > fire in the drapes.
    >
    > The other policeman tried to beat out the flames and
    > fell through the window into the yard on top of the
    > family dog, who startled, jumped up and raced out into
    > the street, where an oncoming car swerved to avoid it
    > and smashed into the parked police car and set it on
    > fire. Meanwhile, the burning drapes had spread to the
    > walls and the entire house was
    > blazing. Neighbors had called the fire department and
    > the arriving fire truck had started raising his ladder
    > when they were halfway down the street. The rising
    > ladder tore out the overhead wires and pulled out the
    > electricity and disconnected telephones in a
    > ten-square city block area.
    >
    > Time passed...
    >
    > Both men were discharged from the hospital. The house
    > was re-built. The police acquired a new car, and all
    > was right with the world. About a year later the
    > original couple were watching TV and the weatherman
    > announced a cold snap for that night. The husband
    > asked his wife if she thought they should bring in
    > their plants for the night.
    >

(Said this to a BIL)----
    I finally have read the snake story. Very funny, but oh so true. Hehe.

When I was a little girl, about 3 years old I was play ironing with my mother. I had my little ironing board and she had hers. While playing I saw a snake go by down the hallway. This was in San Jose and we had brown tiled floors. I told my mother and she thought it was the telephone cord lying on the floor. In the 50's usually one phone and a long cord.

I said "No." as a little girl could say, my mother must have believed me cuz she put me on a chair or stool and called the police. When asked where I thought it came from, I said, "The bathtub." The bathroom was at the other end of the hall. The room we were in faced the living room and the entrance into the hallway and the bedroom doorway where I was at and the other bedrooms that went down a long hall.

Anyway, we figured the snake went down into my mother's bedroom. The policeman did his duty and gathered the snake into a brown paper bag. Away he went to put it somewhere, I assume since I was a little girl. We figured that it must have been a Gopher snake that had traveled from the prune orchard behind our backyard fence and slithered down our sideyard sidewalk and creeped into our tiled kitchen floor and continued its way down to the hallway where I saw it.

I don't know why it would be in our house except for finding protection from the summer day or maybe it saw a GOPHER. Hehehe...hahaha...heh,heh,heh...

Another thing is that the story earlier isn't too way off as I bring in my water plants too, and I have been known to be surprised by these little green snakes wrapped around the water lilies. They quickly wriggle out of the waterlily pot and slither up the waterfalls and out of the pond to avoid contact with my attempt to trim the water lily leaves. Heh,heh.

Karalyn

PS--They never do get into the house, Knock on Wood. hehe

• LindaPNW
    21 years ago

Well, I know the Rose Forum has some serious discussions, but when I can't sleep in the middle of the night, I go to the Rose Forum and look up "You Know Your a Roseaholic when....." or something with a similar title. I find myself laughing the entire time I'm reading about the humorous predicaments growers find themselves in while pursuing their passion. Then I print a copy (many pages) to read to my husband at the breakfast table. (Don't know that he truly "gets" the humor though because he isn't a gardener.)

It's been enlightening to peruse the different forums and discover people's interest in all kinds of gardening and note the different levels of abilities. But the most enjoyable part is to observe the element of humor throughout. Sharing and learning on the web connects us in a way that I've never experienced, and the support has been humbling. I'm learning to appreciate all forms of art and style, and frustrations and successes because writers reveal their enthusiasm, thoughts and related actions. It certainly adds a new dimension to gardening! I've discovered that gardeners do have a sense of humor no matter the forum!

• karalyn
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi Linda,

I haven't been here for awhile. You know there was a really funny thread that someone started talking about being a mom and always in the garden and the kids come out and wonder what she is doing out there and when will dinner be ready etc. Then the husband comes out and wonders how long his wife will be out in the garden. If she is like me, until I can't see a single thing and then sometimes I must move the car around so that the headlites shine on my work area. LOL

So that really cracked me up and I could relate to it all too well.

Well, I better get off of here, BECAUSE Boise is having super weather this week. It will be in the mids 60's all week and one day it will be 67 degrees. Hey, we're up to bay area weather at this time. yippee!

My finger tips are so sore from working in the garden as well as my back. Pain killers are so nice! sigh....

But tomorrow will bring probably more aches after that workout. hehe
    Karalyn

PS--I did use quality gloves and maybe that is why I used my fingers as a mini rake. Teehee.

• Adam_at_SIU
    21 years ago

More info on the 'snake story'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snake Story

• karalyn
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks Adam,

I finally went to your link. OH, they are so funny! Thank you. I can't wait to show my husband the stories, since at one time he was in the bathtub when we were having an earthquake in Boise. The water was sloshing all around and he came out wondering what was happening. I'm so glad that is was a minor one that just moved the house and the chandelier was swinging.

My sister in in Vegas should get a real kick out of these stories too. People that have cats and dogs can really appreciate these. LOL
    Karalyn

• dustyknees
    18 years ago

look what i found.karalyn was that snake story really true?made me smile regardless.i was sweeping the driveway yesterday and there was a black and white stripped snake.would guess 12 inches long.almost looked fake.but when i lightly touched it with my broom its head raised up as if to strike and its tail raised up and started shaking.what kind of snake was that? any guess?i watched it crawl off under my shrubs.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths