Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocbird

Favorite garden sound?

ocbird
20 years ago

This is an imaginative group, let's see what sounds we all like. My favorites are the water burbling in my birdbath waterfall, the mockingbird, and bamboo wind chimes.

Comments (55)

• valeriegail
    20 years ago

I love the wind in the trees in the summer, the birds calling and singing, rain trickling into my rain barrels, crickets, children laughing.

• elle8b
    20 years ago

I like the sounds the woodpecker makes, it sounds like something from the jungle.

• ankraras
    20 years ago

The night owl and the coyote during the night then the soft gentle rain while hand holding with my hubby.

The pleasing hummingbird hovering sound then jabbering while perching on top of the Ocotillo plant. Our backyard is
    a hummingbird home for them all year around. Anxiously waiting to see their nesting with little ones in them.

Supannee
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• paulyn
    20 years ago

The sound of silence. It overwhelms me with peace. Lyn

• ocbird
    Original Author
    20 years ago

what wonderful postings, thank you! keep 'em coming!

Lyn, i'd almost forgotten about silence. Definitely one of my favorites!

Ankrara, where did you get those fabulous flying hummers from?

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Sound and sight often combine for a delightful occurrence, like the experiences with the hummingbirds. This morning I heard a big rustling sound among my as-yet-unpruned asters near me. As I went closer to check it out, out flew a very large, colorful, black, red and white woodpecker! Don't know what it was doing there among the asters, but it was a marvelous morning event in the garden. Much better than the rustling of a snake in the grass. Good thread! I keep thinking of sounds I like. Sorry for hogging so much space.

• ocbird
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wendy, what a thrill!!!!

• gomanngo
    20 years ago

I love hearing the birds singing and calling to each other also...am I hallucinating, or does it seem that they get more talkative when we're out in the garden? Are they telling each other to watch for snacks on the way? I usually throw seedheads in a conspicuous place for them to find when deadheading...maybe they're starting to associate my presence with food? In the winter I throw out breadcrumbs and such, there are still a few around in the winter too, but the sounds of the birds in spring and summer out in the backyard away from the traffic...bliss.
    Li

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Hi;- I stumbled onto the image while searching on the web. Forgot to bookmark the site. Try a search engine for hummingbird. Good Luck!

Supannee

• stitches216
    20 years ago

I have no ultimate favorite among these; how much poorer life would be, if even one of them did not be!:

Morning doves at sunrise and in the morning (the only call I can do)...
    Mockingbirds, cardinals, meadowlarks, bees and the occasional cicada during the day...
    Robins and sparrows in their springtime frenzies...
    The cacophony of cicadas at the end of summer daylight...
    Other daytime chirpers in the tall grasses of late summer and fall...
    The ripples of calls from migrating geese high overhead...
    Crickets, frogs and other callers on warm nights...
    The SILENCE of windless times in winter, day or night...
    And always, always, the rustle of leaves and other vegetation in the wind or rain.

• diannp
    20 years ago

Early mornings are wonderful magical times. The horses are out in the east pasture waiting for me to let them in to the west pasture for some grazing. The cats follow me around on my walk to the gates and through the gardens. Then comes the afternoons, I love lazy summer days in the afternoons when there is a soft breeze blowing, and the sky is filled with those huge billowy clouds. There is the wonderful smell of freshly mown lawn (only surpassed by freshly mown hay). And then comes twilight, with the lightening bugs glittering down in the hosta gardens, moving their way up the drive to the other perennial beds. Then there is night, with the strong clear moonlight dancing through the yards.. And this is only summer, there are the three other season that offer their own enchantment.. Each one to be savored. It really makes life special. ;)

Diann
    Iowa Z5a

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    20 years ago

Meadowlarks! I know spring is finally coming when I hear the first meadowlark of the season.

I used to like the sounds of the house wrens until one decided to nest near my kitchen window. They sure get up early (even before the robins). Definitely persistant little chirpers! lol!!!!

I also love to hear the owls in the evening.

Tanna

• audreys_grandma
    20 years ago

I love hearing all the creatures of the night(crickets, tree frogs, locust, frogs on the pond etc.), windchimes, birds, especially blue jays in the distance.

Paige

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

That reminds me of another garden sound I love. It's the long-distance sound of the frogs by my brother's pond in northern Vermont. When I call him at night (from southern New York), he walks out with the phone into their garden to the pond, then stays quiet and lets me listen to the wonderful ribbit, ribbit, croak, croak.

Wendy

• eliza_ann
    20 years ago

The sound of bees buzzing around my flowers,for some reason it always takes me back to my carefree childhood in the country.Especially if it's a very still sunny afternoon.

• ottumwa
    20 years ago

the owls definitely get my vote. if you haven't heard them, it's a must!! also, coyotes and their puppies are pretty darn awesome!!

• tnflowergal
    20 years ago

My favorite garden sound is a funny one. I live in the city and one mockingbird visits my yard a few days a week. It imitates the sound of a car alarm.

• ankraras
    20 years ago

We're all sounding like a bunch of sound nuts. . I am sure we are at peace with nature and it's true beauty.

Our residence is almost at the edge of the desert. During the evening hours we always make the effort to set out
    so that we can here the coyotes calling. I must say, we have not been fortunate enough to hear the puppies and it really would be a privilege to experience such

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Sorry, My fingers are faster than my brain. LOL. Here is the rest of the post...
    such a special event.

• Dancey
    20 years ago

We live way out in the country and even though hubby and I both grew up on a farm we still love the country sounds. I love to hear the mourning doves in the late evening and the blue birds with their little funny warble. Another very fav of mine are the cute little hummingbirds. Hearing the owl in the late evening is also a big favorite.

Dancey/zone 8b

• amf55nj
    20 years ago

At this house, the mockingbirds, cardinals, and goldfinches. At my old apartment, we were graced with a wood thrush singing right past my balcony garden the last year we were there. I wish I oculd get one here!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    20 years ago

I also love the sound of bees buzzing on a hot, still, summer day. Reminds me of childhood and doing nothing.

• pam_whitbyon
    20 years ago

I think we live in the flight path of all the Canada Geese in the world;) It's beautiful to hear them coming, then look above and see those perfect V's.

Pam

• Lizzym
    20 years ago

...the loud and powerful thud of my son's size 11 work boot hitting the shovel blade as he takes another whack at the dead lilac roots in the back of my perennial bed. That sweet boy.

...the hiss of the propane torch as my husband ignites a pile of puncture weed.

...the muted, anguished screams of squash bugs as I drown them in a bucket of water and oil. Ahhh, the sounds of summer!

• littlebug5
    20 years ago

Hummingbirds buzzing while they divebomb each other.
    Bluebirds talking among themselves.
    Our flag lightly flapping in the breeze.
    The tinkle of the noisemaker on my cat's collar as she comes to find me.
    Peepers in the pond in the springtime.
    Whipporwils.
    My neighbors' (1/4 mile away) rooster early in the morning.
    Orioles calling back and forth in the trees as they try to decide whether to chance coming down to sample the fresh orange I just put out.
    The coffeepot making its final gurgle so I know it's done while I sit on the back deck in the early morning.

• davissue_zone9
    20 years ago

The wind gently rustling the leaves in the trees
    the squeeky chirping of a hummingbird complaining about my presence in HIS backyard
    the faint, far-away drone of a neighbors lawnmower
    the chik-chik-chik of a rainbird sprinkler doing it's thing
    the first plops of a summer rain falling on leaves andthe patio roof
    the far-away tinkle of a neighbor's windchimes
    crispy fall leaves skittling across the patio in the wind
    waking in the morning to the drone of tons of bumblebees working the brugmansia outside our bedroom window

• jakkom
    20 years ago

Lizzym, LOL!

Mustn't forget the satisfying 'squish' and 'crunch' as we eliminate the slugs and snails!

• Talamorgan
    20 years ago

The rustling of leaves in my red maple, the sound of water as birds splash in my birdbath, and the pathetic meow of my cat Raven as she sits in the upstairs window, wanting to join me (she's declawed and can't come out to play!)

• klimkm
    20 years ago

I love the orioles song.

Owls are cool too. But the screech owls late at night creep me out still.

I like the rustling of the cottonwood leaves, anytree like that poplars, aspen, etc. have a certain sound.

And Like Joni Mitchell says: "Hissing of summer lawns"

• bluemirror
    20 years ago

My very favorite summer sound is when the baby grackles are nesting, and they make such a soothing contented sound in the trees. I don't know whether it's before or after they get fed, but it's just so soothing.......bluemirror

• laa_laa
    20 years ago

When I was a child we went to sleep to the sound of the wind brushing the dried palm leaves on the palm trees and to the sound of the screech owls....we woke up to hear doves and quail...As I age I am losing my hearing, to the point where I can no longer hear all the instruments playing in a classical piece. I am trying to treasure the sounds of nature in case I someday find myself unable to hear them.

• vlatheist
    20 years ago

I love the sound of the geckos at night. They chirp, whirr, and trill...it's really cool.

• undercover_owl
    20 years ago

frogs chirping.

• biwako_of_abi
    20 years ago

Having moved to California, which seems to have more spiders than insects, from Japan 6 years ago, I cannot enjoy these sounds anymore, but I miss the varied calls of all the cicadas and a few other insects, like the "suzu-mushi", which makes a sound like jinglebells. Different cicadas call at different times of day, probably sensitive to the temperature?--and a few make sounds complicated enough to remind you of a bird. A friend sent us a casette of cicada sounds after we moved here. I'll have to hunt it out!

• Blume_TX
    20 years ago

My favorite sound is the sound of the watersprout in my little pond. We have some Koi and goldfish, and one catfish.

I also like the sound of rain, this does not happen too often in my neck of the woods.

• peachiekean
    20 years ago

If I plant sunflowers we'll hear the screeching & cackling of wild green parrots when they bloom. It's always fun to see them. They are comical.

• AaronCGI
    19 years ago

I think so far the favorite sound is that of a bald eagle gliding by about 40 feet above my head to land on a tree in my back yard. I first had no idea what it was, as it came from behind me, just heard a big 'whoosh' from the air going over it's wings. Could hear it rustling around in the tree, but didn't spot it until it took off a few minutes later to survey other yards.

Helping a species back from the brink of extinction is a great thing!

Aaron

• thegreenman_zone10
    18 years ago

the screetches of Monk Parakeets and the sound of wind whistling through the bamboo.

• drtynails
    18 years ago

I adore the distant sound of an approaching storm. The low rumble of thunder and the drop in the air pressure and the starting up of the wind. The air cools and there is a lightness of soul and a stirring of excitement within.

I also love the call of roosting robins (sort of a chee-chee-chee-chee-chee) as they fly low and fast. This alway coincides with the purple light that occurs just at twilight. It means to me that spring is here and another day has slipped into oblivion. It calms me and it brings me peace. God bless nature!

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

Morning doves cooing,bees buzzing on a still summer afternoon.
    My windchimes which sound similar to church bells.

Children laughing and playing,and crickets chirping their little heads off.

• booberry85
    18 years ago

This will seem a little strange, but the sound of boats on the lake! I have a "seasonal" view of the lake from my house, which means when the trees are in bloom, I can't see the lake. So when I hear the boats, it's one of the first signs of summer and I should be out gardening.

• janroze
    18 years ago

The grands giggling, then the goldfinch mewing, wren singing, catbird chorusing, robin beckoning, cardinal and oh, I don't know, I love all of nature's sounds in my garden.
    jan

• SusanC
    18 years ago

The robin that starts singing at dawn.
    The ice cream truck making its rounds.
    Our neighbors' daughter practicing the piano.
    House finches, gold finches, chick-a-dees, bush tits and the oh so fierce hummingbirds.
    Squirrels chattering in the trees.
    The far away sound of the Amtrak train coming through at dusk or just as I'm falling asleep.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I'm torn between the sound of bees (honeybees and bumblebees) buzzing as they graze all the flowers in my garden, and the whiny pet-me-mama meow of my SupervisingCat.

• Cumnock
    18 years ago

All of the above, but for me, nothing matches the haunting, elusive call of the wood thrush at twilight, from the forest behind my house.

• hannah
    18 years ago

I love to hear the wind blowing through the Australian Scrub Pines by the Gulf!

Oh...and oddly enough...I am intrigued by our resident Fox's screams and cries as it makes it's way down our road and through our property.

• BDnBAMA
    18 years ago

The songbirds,especially the soft sweet sound of the finches, are my favorite sounds but I have a lot of tree frogs but one kind sounds like a puppy barking. I actually searched for a while one day to see if a puppy had gotten behind the hot tub & got stuck. Everyone that hears it thinks it's a puppy. Betty

• leigh711
    18 years ago

The crickets chirping their sweet summer night music & the birds singing & rejoicing in the day........ahhh, I just LOVE the summer!!!!!!!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

One of my favorites is......omph, this is heavy......carrying in a very nice watermelon!

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

I love the constant chirping of Mr and Mrs Cardinal as they fly to and fro above me, sometimes stopping to watch me work. I love the sound of the wind sifting softly through the pines, the cooing of the mourning dove couple as their song drifts down from their nest high in its branches. I live in the city, but we have alot of bird-life, thank God-I don't hear the sounds of constant traffic when I'm working in the garden.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus