Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growin_crazy

Favorite time of day to be in the garden

Growin_Crazy
20 years ago

Forgive me if this is a repost, but I didn't see it on the first three pages, so I'm asking again.

I like to walk through the garden early in the morning when the sun has just come up. I take my cup of coffee and walk my yard looking at the plants (as if they've changed overnight!). It's very soothing to me and a good start to the day.

Comments (23)

• rainbowraven
    20 years ago

so far for me, it's right after work. I'm not coherent enough in the mornings to do much more than stick a watering hose in them during the hottest part of the summer ... but when I come home *smiles* I head outside, sometimes not even taking the time to change out of office clothes, dead head, see how everyone is doing, drag this one out or that one in, or turn this one around.. take a moment and shake off the day, with all the rain lately I tip the pots to drain off the excess water, seeing who's sprouting what, how much the veggies have grown. Then I come in and say hello to Honey Do and begin dinner *chuckles* .. I'm kidding, I do say hello as I'm on the way towards the back door :) dinner however *grins*

• catahoula
    20 years ago

I do both!!! I'm out there at 5am with coffee looking at my "babies" and then when I get home from work I do whatever needs to be done!! (then I cook supper) On the weekends though the early morn is my best time. LOVE IT!! it's so quiet a cool and the sun isn't up too far so I can spend time outside. (I have lupus...not suppose to get too much sun, so of course cloudy days are the BEST!!)

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

In the morning on a weekend, before more than a couple of other people in the neighborhood come out of their homes.

For the mind disturbed, the still beauty of dawn is nature's finest balm.
    - Edwin Way Teale

• Tufadude
    20 years ago

All Day. Any Day. Every Day. I'd go there at Night as well, but it's too dark.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

In my home state of Idaho ,I loved to go out in the early dawn , before anyone else was stirring .Just me and the sounds of awakening birds. But here ,it is sooo wet with dew you almost need wading boots , so I enjoy the evening hours best.
    Marian

• jakkom
    20 years ago

I'm with Tufadude -- ANY time I spend in the garden is the best time of all!

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Hot....very hot......Way too darn HOT and the horrible wind often blowing dust to keep you constantly cleaning I don't even think about walking in the garden during our hot summer. ;-[

Supannee
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Jean and Tufadude -
    Have you thought about using lanterns at night? Some of us have done that - weeding or transplanting by lantern-light.
    :-) Wendy

• Tufadude
    20 years ago

Wendy, I used night vision goggles (NVG's) in the Army, but they wouldn't let me keep them.

If I could afford a pair, those bugs wouldn't have a chance.

Death comes in the night on silent feet.

• ocbird
    20 years ago

I'm with the early morning folks, having coffee and sitting still enough so the birds come to the feeders around me.

But there's no 'bad' time to be out there!

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Seems like morning is the most popular time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite time to view garden thread

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

My fav. time used to be after dark, but it's not worth getting west nile virus. So now my fav. time is in the evening, when I know the day is over.

• see_me_at_5am
    20 years ago

You will "See Me At 5am" while all the family is sleeping and I can stroll with a cup of coffee. I agree with Growin' Crazy! It is cool and starts the day with such splendor! Also an excellent time to water (ugh!) If only I had the luxury of a watering system. Oh well...I LOVE those flowers!!

See Me At 5am OR sometimes sooner :-)

• GreyBeard
    20 years ago

Hi, I like to walk the property at night when its so dark you have to wait for your eyes to adjust to see, but my favorite time is to be out walking the garden and property with my first cup of coffee as the sun comes up. Mike

• greendogart
    20 years ago

I love the smell of petunias in the morning or jasmine in the evening. But I do love being out there anytime, under a nice shade tree watching the sun find it's way through the tree to spotlight my caladium. Beautiful!! Couldn't resist taking a photo of them yesterday.

• ottumwa
    20 years ago

i'm going with right before the sun goes down for the night. get a drink and it's a wonderful time to talk about the day that's ending and wonder about tomorrow!

• tresbelle3
    20 years ago

In our house, the morning is always so busy in the morning. But after everyone is home and after they have been fed dinner, I go out there and linger. I like to see what the warm sun did for them today. :)

• Dancey
    20 years ago

I like the very early morning or very very late evenings in my gardens. ;) I like to take my coffee and go out very early when things are still very quiet and sit on my bench, look at my roses and other pretty flowers, and just ponder for a while.

Dancey/zone 8b

• huffy1
    20 years ago

Any time as long as it is just after the wife has finished weeding or picking.

• ashli
    18 years ago

Early morning is my favorite...before the alarm clock...before the loud traffic...it seems everyone is sleeping...Only myself and nature...peaceful...
    The only negative thought is, how can I bring the coffee pot with me? ....ha

• paulinep
    18 years ago

I must jump in here--perhaps I have a few werewolf genes in my genetics (LOL), but I often can't sleep when there is a full moon. And---I really want to go out in the garden when that gorgeous silver moonlight is shining on the garden creating lovely shadows from the high canopy of tall trees. From the inside windows it looks so lovely. I'm afraid my neighbors might get upset if they saw me roaming the garden at 2:00 a.m., and call our security, but I just go from window to window enjoying my moonlight garden.
    Pauline

• alison
    18 years ago

I've always liked early evening. Still light, but the heat of the day is wearing off.

Unfortunately, I'm now working until midnight. It's hard to get up and actually work in the garden early, when it's still cool. And working under the glare of the midday sun is not so nice. (Not to mention it's a really bad time to be watering!)

The plus side is when I come home a little before one, and stroll around with a beer or a glass of iced coffee, I can really enjoy all the night bloom stocks I planted this year!

• busyasabee
    18 years ago

My favorite time in my garden is the evening, about an hour before sunset. It's nice and peaceful at that time, and it allows me to collect my thoughts and regroup from my busy day. I love to sit on my patio and just watch my lovely flowers. I will also do a stroll to see if anything new plants/flowers have emerged since I was last out there the night prior! LOL!

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994