Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Morning Glory

Posted by
Ipomoea - 7
(morrow@localaccess.net) on
Thu, Jun 17, 99 at 19:30

Their don't seem to be too many morning glory fans out there besides me. For those of you who do love them, what's your favorite variety. I mean out of all the species (Ipomoea tricolor, I.nil, I.purpurea, I.coccinea, I.alba, I. anything else) what is your favorite variety. Mine would be either I. tricolor "Heavenly Blue"or"Flying Saucers", or maybe I.alba, the moonflower. I also like I. hederacea, which some people consider a weed (albeit a beautiful one).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Morning Glory

I like the heirloom 'Grandpa Otts'. it's a dark purple with yellow throat and pink veination. And the moon flowers are gorgeous and prolific bloomers. I find them all pretty though, especially after time spent in Spain- they are everywhere! What a great weed!

o

love love LOVE Heavenly Blue -- we live on skytop road -- the color is sooooo appropriate I like to put some at the front of the house as well. I'm trying the moonflower this year--can't wait to see those big white faces!

o

I forgot to mention "Blue Star", a variety of I. tricolor. It is very pale gray-blue with a soft blue "star" and a cream-colored throat.

o

I'm growing a pink Double Picotee for the first time this year. Really pretty....hot pink flower with a white edge.
It stays open all day...another plus!

You might want to search the vine forum if you want to find other morning glory lovers!

Bye...

sandy

o

I planted the perennial Morning Glory..Blue flowers and it is taking over...Thankfully..Its great...I just finished a whole round of seed planting,,Grandpa Otts, Moonflower..And they are also growing..I love them..Vines are very magical, I think.

o

This year 'Star of Yelta' has been my challenge-such a joy with its dark royal purple blooms. Radiating from deep in the center is a lighter star, its points reaching out nearly to the outside edge of the blooms. Love them climbing the upright posts of our cedar rail fence and through a clump of seven foot tall perennial grass.

Other years I've had 'Heavenly Blue' growing way up through a 20 foot tall white birch tree. Aren't vines fun? Annette

o

Hi Ipomea!

My Chocolate mg is beginning to bloom more and more-it is becoming one of my favorites! Will get some pics to you when I get the film developed!

sandy

o

There is a new one out, and all I know about it is that it's called "Tye Dye". Maybe Tie Dye. Saw it at the nurseries this year. Can't wait until the seed becomes available to grow it myself!!! :O)

o

I've seen lots, but nothing beats Heavenly Blue. Mine didn't bloom this year. Don't know why. But even the vines were great.

o

Rena - Tye Dye was available from Park seed this year.

I'm also putting in my vote for Grampa Ott as one of my all time favorites.

Dawn G.

o

I also must say "Mt. Fuji" was one of my favorites this year.

"Grandpa Ott's" grows wild down here on the farm with "Crimson Rambler". My great-great grandparents grew it and it just naturalized.

o

Grandpa Ott's and Heavenly Blue--hands down!

o

i love i. pandurata. white flowers with dark red centers. i was treated to the sight of them along hillsides on my way to work all summer long. in my wildflower book they're called man-root.

o

My great aunts called pandurata the "wild sweet-potato". It's nice too. Oh, why do I not just go ahead and say that I can't pick just one.

o

I love Heavenly Blue, but our season is short and everything has to grow in partial shade so some years don't get any flowers. Is there an earlier flowering blue?
Thanks
Lillian

o

Though I truly love "Heavenly Blue", I would be interested in growing the chocolate-colored one. So far, the deer have eaten any attempts at growing it though. What is the best way to get it started? Maybe I'll put some on the porch in a big pot.

o

Has anyone grown Ipomoea Carnea? I've been given some, but have never grown it or indeed even heard of this plant!
(It's not a climber, it seems to be a tall growing herbaceaous perennial)

o

I just love morning glories period. When I open my blinds in my bedroom in the morning and they great me with their beautiful blooms I just want to shout, YES! Life is beautiful. They truly lift my spirits.

o

• Posted by
    Kay - 5a
    (kay@ida.net) on
    Wed, Feb 16, 00 at 13:48

Iloved the Crimson Rambler I had growing. Hot pink flowers with a white throat. I grew it on my shrubs out front!

o

• Posted by
    Barbara Atwood - 72103
    (tatwood2@cs.com) on
    Sat, Mar 4, 00 at 2:28

I love Scarlet O'Hara. The vine covers my porch and blooms till frost. People stop and come up tell me it looks like something out of Better Homes and Garden. I have a smaller one that looks like an Opel in color, dont know the name . But it is lovely.

o

My four favorite morning glories would be 'Heavenly Blue', Ipomea 'Alba', 'Scarlett O'Hara' and 'Royal Ensign (although technically I don't think 'Royal Ensign' is called a morning glory anymore, I think it's considered a convolvulous, but I still love it. It's a gorgeous royal blue with a white throat and yellow eye. It doesn't climb, techinically. I always use it for a cascading effect in my containers.

Eileen

o

to Debbie:

I know what you mean. Last year when I came home from work, looked out from my deck at the Heavenly Blue Morning Glories covering an arbour, they took my breath away. They are the truest blue flower I have ever seen. Strange thing is one year they might do well in the same spot with lots of flowers and other years, more leaves and less flowers. Haven't figured that one out yet. Definitely will have some more this year and the Hyacinth Bean Vine. It's supposed to be a prolific grower and quite beautiful. Purple flowers and purple bean pods. Can't wait!!!!! Hurry up spring.

Elaine

o

I realy love any kind or color of "Morning Glorys""
I'm trying to place some seeds in my land because I like it ( I mean;Ilove it) and I want to have Morning Glorys around me.
Even, I'm now a proud citizen of this great Country...Morning Glorys reminde me of My Old City and Country: Lisbon,Portugal.If you go to Lisbon, you can see Morning Glorys all over....where it is a fence or a clif...
and it look so beautifulllllllllllllllll.

Sergio

PS: I'm soaking (over night) some seeds to put theme in the ground tomorrow.

o

I have bought heavenly blue morning glory seed this year and was surprised to read on the packet that they are an annual. Is there a perinnial heavenly blue morning glory out there? Linda.

o

I LOVE any morning glory!I am trying Mt.Fuji this year for first time.The Hummers love crimson rambler here!Ginna

o

My favorite is Bush Morningglory - Ipomoea leptophylla. It is actually a bush, not a vine. You can trim it to be a 3-4 foot bush or it can grow into a 10 foot ornamental tree. It blooms light purple flowers that are open when I awake in the morning and close around 4 pm. Just beautiful !!

o

Too hard to choose just one. I love Heavenly Blue, Scarlett O'Hara, and Flying Saucers.

o
morning glory's

I love Morning glorys, but have a terrible time getting them to grow. It seems by the time they get big enough to bloom its time for freezing, snowy weather again. So needless to say I don't get to enjoy them very long. When we were in California I was told they had a wild morning glory that grew in different colors. I looked but could not find a garden shop etc. that carried the seeds or plant. Have any of you heard of this. I would sure like to get some different morning glory seed to try in Up State New York. I love wild flowers but getting any seeds in out of the question around here. Any help, ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

o

I think I'd love morning glories even more if I woke up earlier -- most days I don't get up until they're starting to close for the day!

My favs are definitely Star of Yelta and Flying Saucers for impact, and Blue Star, for pastel subtlty. It's hard to beat the combination of Heavenly Blue and mixed Cypress Vine in red, white and pink. This summer I've become awfully fond of Milky Way. The vines are incredibly long, and the flowers are 3-4" (altho' they're getting smaller as the season winds down) Pure white, with star shaped slashes; the marks are navy blue when they first open, but turn to carmine red by the time they close. Spectacular!

o

My favorite Morning Glories are the ones I have on my Web Page; does anyone know the names of these Morning Glories?
Please scroll down to the bottom of my webpage to see the
m. Thanks, Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

o

• Posted by
    Brenda from Texas - 8
    (Benzy55@aol.com) on
    Sat, Oct 7, 00 at 23:48

I would have to say my Favorite Morning Glory would be 'Morning Blue' in my Garden. Please check out Page 3
of my Webpage, it's a Morning Glory Page!!!
Thanks, Brenda in Texas

Here is a link that might be useful: Tyme in the Garden

o

I thought Morning Glory was illegal, cause isn't how acid is made?

o

I love Milkey Way. Mine goes 5 inches in diameter with white-white-ish blue and truely white throat. They kept blooming until frost. I made two tall towers with bamboo stick for climing vine. It's just gorgeous! I love I. alba (moonflower) too. The scent is unbelievable.

o

I love Heavenly Blue. Its so beautiful. I had a big pot in 1999. When my daughter was born there were flowers every day for a week or more. They were there to greet her.

o

I like Ipomea Carnea and Mt. Fujis.

o

I just bought some Blue Picotee Morning Glory seeds. Have any of you grown this variety? The pictures look nice.

o

I agree--love Heavenly Blue and Flying Saucers. I have mine growing up and over a white arbor directly in front of my white picket fence gate and where red and bright pink (Altissimo and Betty Prior) rose bushes also grow. It is a lovely sight!

o

I just planted a handful of mixed morning glorys and it should be interesting to see what they turn out to be.I have them in a huge pot and the seedlings are as happy as can be under the rim.I am gonna have to seperate them and move them cause I soaked the seeds and they stuck together when planted and are growing in a clump.I have grandpa otts & scarlet o hara and the pupura growing that I planted before these and one of them doesn't even have 3 leaves and is already blooming.First bloom came yesterday.I have rose silk planted in a terracotta pot and the leaves are variegated and gorgous.I planted them a month ago and they are just now getting their true leaves.I know morning glorys don't like to be moved at all so cross your fingers for me :).Will post pics when all in bloom & Id'd.
My fave is Grandpa Otts :).Are tye dye white seeds?
Cause I think thats what the generous person who shared said. Heidi S~

o

• Posted by ebow 10a FL (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 02 at 10:13

I do not know enough about morning glory plants/vines to say. I like the fact that a small package of seeds ( multi-colors) can last a person a life time.
My question is about the "climbing". I have a utility area in my back yard that I want to landscape so that the (transformer/Cable/one other) has plants that will grow high enough to block the view. Morning Glories are good climbers and do a good job of blocking. Last year they seemed to over power the plastic stakes and caused them to bend over; even break. This year I have wooden stakes (treated) and notice that the vine seems to avoid the treated wood......is this normal? Almost every day, I pull a vine to the stake, but they seem to grow away instead of climb.
The reason I ask, is I want to build a stronger small pergola/trellis over the area for vines to climb. I would hate to go to the trouble, if treated wood is something to avoid.

Thanks for any input.

o

Are there any morning glory varieties that wouldn't die back for the winter in my temperate zone (Nor Cal)? I'm looking for an indestructible fast-growing chain-link climber!

o

Growies:

Are you growing it in full sun? We had one on the backyard fence in Oakland when I was growing up, and I don't think I recall it dying back. It was probably some volunteer hybrid of Heavenly Blue (it had a little purple in it on the veins). The trumpet vine was also pretty enthusiastic on the fence. It had really dry, poor soil in a baking hot location and we never never watered it. It was so thick my parents used to yank it out, grumbling.

o
perennial Morning Glory in CA

Growies:

I think the kind growing on my folks' back fence was Ipomoea learii (blue dawn morning glory). There's a thread about it going on in the CA forum. The picture they pointed to looks just like the one we had: http://www.mulu.co.uk/itemdisplay.php3?itemid=216

Be careful. It really is invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg0504084831717.html

o

I recently purchased IPOMOEA SP. X 'EDMUND'S BLUE'.
I have two one gallon containers and cannot find a picture
or information on the entire web. The nursery didn't have
a picture but the manager said it was a bright blue. They
are too small for blooms but I would really appreciate any
advise anyone has.

Thanks

o

any; but this year i'm trying heavenly blue, and pearly gates together...i can't wait 'till they bloom! so far the deer haven't touched them, thank You God! i'm growing them up an archtrellis made of metal- didn't want to transplant them, so i left them in the windowbox container i sowed them in. thinking of building a raised bed around them, then cutting the cheap plastic window box away... gave them some twine and sticks from the woods to climb on. they're climbing on each other, and up the arch! i love morning glories! :o)
peace to all!

o
RE: Favorite Morning Glory Update

Well, its been awhile since my original response. I'd now have to say my favorite morning glories are Blue and Rose Silk. Am attaching a link with a pic of each. Hope it works!

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and Rose Silk

o

Wow!
blue and rose silks are breathtaking!
mine still haven't bloomed, and here it is july...
but i agree with something someone posted earlier...
"...even the vines are great!"
my raised bed thing worked, but they are still wilting in the heatwave here. lol, i never thought we'd get a real heatwave here.
maybe my other stuff will pick up too. my clematis actually bloomed! i'm astounded!
gardens are truly a taste of heaven. :o)
peace

o
RE: Favorite Morning Glory -- Seed sower

Seed Sower, I just saw my first bloom of Blue Silk. It is wonderful! Your picture of yours is super!
Thanks for sharing!
Karalyn

o

Please tell me........are blue silks a vine or a bush??
thansk so much

o
i forgot

and............ they are variegated leaves, right??

o

Well, Hello, Ipomoea!

Your post is still on the front page, so there must be a few MG fans.

I have just aquires a couple of pretty foliage Ipomoeas (batatas) tricolor and 'Black Heart'. Very pretty. They probably don't have the lovely flowers but their foliage is outstanding. Keep up this interesting thread. They are ALL so lovely...

Evelyn

o

I think i love my morning glorys almost as much as the japanese beetles.....grrrrr

o

Just saw (September 9) a beautiful purple morning glory behind the Smithsonian in Wash. D.C. called an Egyption Morning Glory (CAIRIEO, a perennial that spreds all over the place. Does anyone have any idea where to obtain seeds or plants?

o

thread up!

o

This thread makes me want to make out a seed order. Very informative.

o

I keep talking about how I want to plant Morning Glory seeds along a long fence. Then, today I happen upon this forum out of curiosity. I had no idea there was more than the one white plant I see on fences around the area. They grow so full and bushy and provide privacy. Now, I can have all kinds of different colors mixed in with the white ones. Thank you, helenh, for bringing up the topic yesterday, after a long pause of posts. Such a great thing to learn so early in the morning. 8:00am my time.

o

Mine would probably be Ipomoes Acuminata (I've read some rave stories and seem some lovely pics)...

o

Dizilizy, do you have any pictures of your Ipomoea Edmunds Blue?

o

Hi!
new beginner gardener and stumble my way towards failures and successes, This year I awant to order the blue and red picotee
-double flowers with one solid color and a thin white rim,
Does anybody grow these?
I am in zone 5 and was blown away by how well my traditional MG's grew last summer.
Do the grow as fast? what about growing them in containers?
I have a huge deck that is partially screened by a tree, but the last part of the wall - a ledge abot 3ft high with roof tile , is all open towards a large street.
Can I grow MG's up a trellis?
My deck bakes in sun until it moves over the house, usually around 3pm in the summer, that corner is also were the sun lingers the longest,
And it is also fairly windy,

I am on very limited funds and do not own the building, I Have a 3ft long plastic planter about a foot deep and a half foot wide,
What if I fill it up with peat compost and plant some groundcover and mulch heavily around the feet ?

I wanted to buy a piece of lattice frame it, and screw some feet on and then try to wedge it between wall and planter?

I would if it spread over the brick wall but I have nothing for it to grab, any ideas anyone?
I want to order from jungs qualityseeds and I wonder how long it generally takes for them to acctually prodccess the order, am I too late? how long before Picotee gets going?
And , more importantly, do they Re-seed as traditional MG's?
thanks a bunch!!
KK

o

It's got to be the rare YELLOW MORNING GLORY (ipomoea ochracea). I have several growing in pots now. Very pretty and prolific bloomers.

o

hello everyone! i was just curious if anyone knows what company or companies offer the blue dawn morning glory please if so please email me with the company name please.i know that parkseed/burpee/wayside gardens doesnt offer this particular one.thank you for the kind giving of your time and assistance in this matter.sincerely,mshgtvangel

o

i like morning glories.so far, i have purchased heavenly blue (sky blue),star of yelta(deep purple),patriotic mix.now im seeking the blue dawn type also so if anyone knows of a dot.com company that offers them please feel free to email me at mshgtvangel@aol.com.thank you for the kind giving of your time and assistance in this matter.sincrely,teresa

o

yes i like morning glories you are not alone.i am getting a collection of them lol.it all started with patriotic mix,scarlet ohara,pearly gates,some type of dark blue one.next came the heavenly blue as well as star of yelta.i still want to purchase some blue dawn morning glory seeds,and theres a hawaiian wood type also that i would like to have.i plan on putting mine in hanging baskets that are iron painted white heart design with coconut liners.does anyone know of a company that sales blue dawn morning glory seeds?if so,please feel free to email me at mshgtvangel@aol.com.thank you for the kind giving of your time.happy gardening!

o

My favorite (and only one in my garden) is Grandpa Ott...

o

This year I planted a mixed pack from Target. The seeds were suposed to be pink and purple. Imagine my surprise when they bloomed colbalt blue and tie-dyed blue and white. They did look awesome when they decided to grow up the stalks of some Lemon Queen sunflowers.

o

I am trying to find blue silk and pink silk morning glories but it doesn't look like anyone on the canadian forums is trading them :(

I'll have to check our nurseries in spring.

o

I also cannot vote just for one. My three favorites are Heavenly Blue, Grandpa Ott's and Ensign. Heavenly Blue has the prettiest color to me of any plant that I have ever grown. I have had great luck in having it reseed itself in Chicago suburb (zone 5, clay soil, mostly sunny) and in Florida (zone 9b, sandy soil, mostly shady).

I planted it behind my mother's house in Florida 6 years ago and there are still plants there totally untended.

In Chicago, I planted it on my chain link fence and then it would grow into the trees behind the fence - sometimes 20 feet tall. I don't know what the experts advise, but mine responded well to lots of liquid fertilizer.

Grandpa Ott's is also beautiful.

I like the ensign series because they will bloom so much sooner. In Chicago, it blooms a month earlier than the Heavenly blue. In Florida, I planted seeds in mid November and had blooms in around 3 weeks. These plants died however when the temp got to mid 30's. The Heavenly Blue was planted at the same time and survived and is blooming now.

In Chicago, never was able to get a moon vine to bloom. Will try in Florida now.

o

This thread might be the longest running[time-wise] thread on GW. Uh, I like Heavenly Blue. Wish I had some Cornell again.

o

I want to grow some more Morning Glorys as I just planted a couple last year of Blue and a Pink so fell in love and got addicted. Can some of you share.

I do have some Chocolate ones coming I will share and also what is called a Blue poppie that is so neat.
Hugs Bonnie

o

Does anyone like 'Star of Yelta' or 'Scarlet O'Hara'? It's my first year growing these after 3 years of 'Heavenly Blue', and I was wondering how they would do.

o

I've just started my Morning Glory seedlings inside...
May be running a bit late..
"Star of Yelta"... and "Scarlet O' Hara"..are beautiful.
Last year I planted every type of Morning Glory that I could find...I especially love bright colors.
But, the one that grew the best for me is called "Pearly Whites"...It bloomed from morning until late afternoon...it was soooo pretty.
I wonder if there is any other Morning Glory that would bloom until afternoon???

o

Mine has to be Heavenly Blue.I grow it near my front door and have had people come up to my door and ask what it is.The color is so striking!

Eliza ann

o

I have just discovered that the purple/blue Morning Glory flowers climbing over my roses are perennials. I remember planting two small cuttings last year, I can't remember if I planted any seeds as I had a hard time finding any on the very prolific bushes at the nursery I took the cuttings from. I did dip the cuttings into a rooting dust product though. The leaves are much larger that the annual Morning Glories I have. Would like to grow others from seed, anyone out there want to trade. Don't know if I'll find seeds on these yet, but I will soon find out.

o

I can't believe how old this thread is.

My favorite, like so many others, is Grandpa Ott's.

o

one more enthusiastic vote for heavenly blue. i've grown 'em at a community garden, an apartment, and now in a glorious long swathe on the fence in front of my first-ever house. when i leave for work in the morning, i stop for a minute to bathe in their color. the clarity & joyous 'rightness' of the blue fills my heart & never gets old.

o

Star of Yelta (deep purple) look just beautiful when planted with Crimson Rambler (fushia).

o

Anyone notice this thread started in 1999? Wow! This year my fav is Red Star. Chocolate one is good, too.

o

I just noticed it started in 1999, that is amazing! My favorites are Heavenly Blue and Mt. Fuji.

o

My DH has the passion for Morning Glories - nothing will do except that gorgeous blue that is well-mannered here.
jan

o

Akasuki no ami is just most beautiful MG I have ever seen. I also have one that I can't figure out the name to. The seeds are a light tan, and it also is unbelieveably gorgeous! It looks kind of like Heavenly blue, but is bigger and is ruffeled. Any ideas? :) Arum

o

Does anyone ahve any MORE favorite MG's? :) arum

o

I love 'Heavenly Blue' and 'Grandpa Ott'. I also have a wonderful pink variety that was given to me but is not on the market. The flowers look like 'Crimson Rambler' flowers, but the vine only grows 3-4 feet long.

o

Hands down it would be 'Heavenly Blue'! It's one of the truest blues out there. I just wish they would last longer.
'Grandpa Otts' is another pretty variety.
Brian

o

does anyone know if there is a morning glory variety with a bright yellow flower

o

I bought a variety i have never seen at the local farmers market today. the guy i bought it from didnt know the variety and i have searched all over but havent found it. maybe someone can help........

It grows very bushy and the foilage looks like a small ivy with green and white streaked leaves. The flowers are about half the size of heavenly blue flowers and are a dark lavender. they will look great along with my other morning glories on my sidewalk garden, if i only knew what they are.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I love heavenly blue. I have them growing in a washtub right now that is placed under a old portable clothes line (the square kind) DH drilled a hole in the galzanized tub and I planted the morning glories in it and I'm training them to go on all the lines and cover it. I'm training them with the wooden clothes pins.

o

The other day I found a picture on the internet of a double blue picotee morning glory and fell in love with it. I emailed the picture to my sister, and she loves it too. Well I spent the past day and a half looking for some place to buy it, and found the Swallow Tail Gardens sell it and about 19 other varieties!! It's gorgeous!

o

Is anyone here familiar with Shiruki ao' ? On my goodness, a MG to die for! BIG blue ruffled flowers and varigated leaves. I LOVE it!!!!!!! :) Arum

o

Hands down, Heavenly Blue. Its exactly the color of the sky.

o

Jessica, I realize your post is a very old one, but I think I can ID that MG. I just bought mine yesterday, and yours looks like the same thing. The "Cameo Elegance".
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameo elegance

o

My favorite is Flying Saucers. I love planting it along with Scarlet O'Hara. And, add Moon Vines and I have blooms almost all day. This year, I didn't have any Flying Saucers, as my hubby's dog dug them all up after they sprouted and I couldn't find any more seeds. Yes, the do is still alive, darn him.

o

I just love morning glories! My favorite is Heavenly Blue, but I've also grown Crimson Rambler, Grandpa Ott, Flying Saucer, and Blue Star (plus a pale pink one). I just started up my seeds for this year, and I have 19 pots of MG seeds started - can't wait to see what I get this year!

o

I currently have 3 types of morning glories: crimson rambler, moonflower, & blue star. However, my all time favorite has to be black kniola. This is the very one I wish to have but I cannot find!!! :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here