Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ipomoea_7

Favorite Morning Glory

Ipomoea - 7
24 years ago

Their don't seem to be too many morning glory fans out there besides me. For those of you who do love them, what's your favorite variety. I mean out of all the species (Ipomoea tricolor, I.nil, I.purpurea, I.coccinea, I.alba, I. anything else) what is your favorite variety. Mine would be either I. tricolor "Heavenly Blue"or"Flying Saucers", or maybe I.alba, the moonflower. I also like I. hederacea, which some people consider a weed (albeit a beautiful one).

Comments (93)

• peacerose
    21 years ago

any; but this year i'm trying heavenly blue, and pearly gates together...i can't wait 'till they bloom! so far the deer haven't touched them, thank You God! i'm growing them up an archtrellis made of metal- didn't want to transplant them, so i left them in the windowbox container i sowed them in. thinking of building a raised bed around them, then cutting the cheap plastic window box away... gave them some twine and sticks from the woods to climb on. they're climbing on each other, and up the arch! i love morning glories! :o)
    peace to all!

• seedsower
    21 years ago

Well, its been awhile since my original response. I'd now have to say my favorite morning glories are Blue and Rose Silk. Am attaching a link with a pic of each. Hope it works!

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and Rose Silk

• peacerose
    21 years ago

Wow!
    blue and rose silks are breathtaking!
    mine still haven't bloomed, and here it is july...
    but i agree with something someone posted earlier...
    "...even the vines are great!"
    my raised bed thing worked, but they are still wilting in the heatwave here. lol, i never thought we'd get a real heatwave here.
    maybe my other stuff will pick up too. my clematis actually bloomed! i'm astounded!
    gardens are truly a taste of heaven. :o)
    peace

• karalyn
    21 years ago

Seed Sower, I just saw my first bloom of Blue Silk. It is wonderful! Your picture of yours is super!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Karalyn

• CatalinKel
    21 years ago

Please tell me........are blue silks a vine or a bush??
    thansk so much

• CatalinKel
    21 years ago

and............ they are variegated leaves, right??

• evelyn_inthegarden
    21 years ago

Well, Hello, Ipomoea!

Your post is still on the front page, so there must be a few MG fans.

I have just aquires a couple of pretty foliage Ipomoeas (batatas) tricolor and 'Black Heart'. Very pretty. They probably don't have the lovely flowers but their foliage is outstanding. Keep up this interesting thread. They are ALL so lovely...

Evelyn

• sanitycheck
    21 years ago

I think i love my morning glorys almost as much as the japanese beetles.....grrrrr

• artflower
    21 years ago

Just saw (September 9) a beautiful purple morning glory behind the Smithsonian in Wash. D.C. called an Egyption Morning Glory (CAIRIEO, a perennial that spreds all over the place. Does anyone have any idea where to obtain seeds or plants?

• cicadae
    21 years ago

thread up!

• helenh
    21 years ago

This thread makes me want to make out a seed order. Very informative.

• strawberrygoat
    21 years ago

I keep talking about how I want to plant Morning Glory seeds along a long fence. Then, today I happen upon this forum out of curiosity. I had no idea there was more than the one white plant I see on fences around the area. They grow so full and bushy and provide privacy. Now, I can have all kinds of different colors mixed in with the white ones. Thank you, helenh, for bringing up the topic yesterday, after a long pause of posts. Such a great thing to learn so early in the morning. 8:00am my time.

• sunhat
    21 years ago

Mine would probably be Ipomoes Acuminata (I've read some rave stories and seem some lovely pics)...

• sammiandfargo
    20 years ago

Dizilizy, do you have any pictures of your Ipomoea Edmunds Blue?

• kerstin_k
    20 years ago

Hi!
    new beginner gardener and stumble my way towards failures and successes, This year I awant to order the blue and red picotee
    -double flowers with one solid color and a thin white rim,
    Does anybody grow these?
    I am in zone 5 and was blown away by how well my traditional MG's grew last summer.
    Do the grow as fast? what about growing them in containers?
    I have a huge deck that is partially screened by a tree, but the last part of the wall - a ledge abot 3ft high with roof tile , is all open towards a large street.
    Can I grow MG's up a trellis?
    My deck bakes in sun until it moves over the house, usually around 3pm in the summer, that corner is also were the sun lingers the longest,
    And it is also fairly windy,

I am on very limited funds and do not own the building, I Have a 3ft long plastic planter about a foot deep and a half foot wide,
    What if I fill it up with peat compost and plant some groundcover and mulch heavily around the feet ?

I wanted to buy a piece of lattice frame it, and screw some feet on and then try to wedge it between wall and planter?

I would if it spread over the brick wall but I have nothing for it to grab, any ideas anyone?
    I want to order from jungs qualityseeds and I wonder how long it generally takes for them to acctually prodccess the order, am I too late? how long before Picotee gets going?
    And , more importantly, do they Re-seed as traditional MG's?
    thanks a bunch!!
    KK

• texaspuddyprint
    20 years ago

It's got to be the rare YELLOW MORNING GLORY (ipomoea ochracea). I have several growing in pots now. Very pretty and prolific bloomers.

• mshgtvangel
    19 years ago

hello everyone! i was just curious if anyone knows what company or companies offer the blue dawn morning glory please if so please email me with the company name please.i know that parkseed/burpee/wayside gardens doesnt offer this particular one.thank you for the kind giving of your time and assistance in this matter.sincerely,mshgtvangel

• mshgtvangel
    19 years ago

i like morning glories.so far, i have purchased heavenly blue (sky blue),star of yelta(deep purple),patriotic mix.now im seeking the blue dawn type also so if anyone knows of a dot.com company that offers them please feel free to email me at mshgtvangel@aol.com.thank you for the kind giving of your time and assistance in this matter.sincrely,teresa

• mshgtvangel
    19 years ago

yes i like morning glories you are not alone.i am getting a collection of them lol.it all started with patriotic mix,scarlet ohara,pearly gates,some type of dark blue one.next came the heavenly blue as well as star of yelta.i still want to purchase some blue dawn morning glory seeds,and theres a hawaiian wood type also that i would like to have.i plan on putting mine in hanging baskets that are iron painted white heart design with coconut liners.does anyone know of a company that sales blue dawn morning glory seeds?if so,please feel free to email me at mshgtvangel@aol.com.thank you for the kind giving of your time.happy gardening!

• dighappy
    19 years ago

My favorite (and only one in my garden) is Grandpa Ott...

• gingerlili
    19 years ago

This year I planted a mixed pack from Target. The seeds were suposed to be pink and purple. Imagine my surprise when they bloomed colbalt blue and tie-dyed blue and white. They did look awesome when they decided to grow up the stalks of some Lemon Queen sunflowers.

• ranikabani
    19 years ago

I am trying to find blue silk and pink silk morning glories but it doesn't look like anyone on the canadian forums is trading them :(

I'll have to check our nurseries in spring.

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

I also cannot vote just for one. My three favorites are Heavenly Blue, Grandpa Ott's and Ensign. Heavenly Blue has the prettiest color to me of any plant that I have ever grown. I have had great luck in having it reseed itself in Chicago suburb (zone 5, clay soil, mostly sunny) and in Florida (zone 9b, sandy soil, mostly shady).

I planted it behind my mother's house in Florida 6 years ago and there are still plants there totally untended.

In Chicago, I planted it on my chain link fence and then it would grow into the trees behind the fence - sometimes 20 feet tall. I don't know what the experts advise, but mine responded well to lots of liquid fertilizer.

Grandpa Ott's is also beautiful.

I like the ensign series because they will bloom so much sooner. In Chicago, it blooms a month earlier than the Heavenly blue. In Florida, I planted seeds in mid November and had blooms in around 3 weeks. These plants died however when the temp got to mid 30's. The Heavenly Blue was planted at the same time and survived and is blooming now.

In Chicago, never was able to get a moon vine to bloom. Will try in Florida now.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    19 years ago

This thread might be the longest running[time-wise] thread on GW. Uh, I like Heavenly Blue. Wish I had some Cornell again.

• Demione30
    19 years ago

I want to grow some more Morning Glorys as I just planted a couple last year of Blue and a Pink so fell in love and got addicted. Can some of you share.

I do have some Chocolate ones coming I will share and also what is called a Blue poppie that is so neat.
    Hugs Bonnie

• balconygardener
    19 years ago

Does anyone like 'Star of Yelta' or 'Scarlet O'Hara'? It's my first year growing these after 3 years of 'Heavenly Blue', and I was wondering how they would do.

• ashli
    19 years ago

I've just started my Morning Glory seedlings inside...
    May be running a bit late..
    "Star of Yelta"... and "Scarlet O' Hara"..are beautiful.
    Last year I planted every type of Morning Glory that I could find...I especially love bright colors.
    But, the one that grew the best for me is called "Pearly Whites"...It bloomed from morning until late afternoon...it was soooo pretty.
    I wonder if there is any other Morning Glory that would bloom until afternoon???

• Eliza_ann_ca
    19 years ago

Mine has to be Heavenly Blue.I grow it near my front door and have had people come up to my door and ask what it is.The color is so striking!

Eliza ann

• Redredrose
    18 years ago

I have just discovered that the purple/blue Morning Glory flowers climbing over my roses are perennials. I remember planting two small cuttings last year, I can't remember if I planted any seeds as I had a hard time finding any on the very prolific bushes at the nursery I took the cuttings from. I did dip the cuttings into a rooting dust product though. The leaves are much larger that the annual Morning Glories I have. Would like to grow others from seed, anyone out there want to trade. Don't know if I'll find seeds on these yet, but I will soon find out.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I can't believe how old this thread is.

My favorite, like so many others, is Grandpa Ott's.

• Marie of Roumania
    18 years ago

one more enthusiastic vote for heavenly blue. i've grown 'em at a community garden, an apartment, and now in a glorious long swathe on the fence in front of my first-ever house. when i leave for work in the morning, i stop for a minute to bathe in their color. the clarity & joyous 'rightness' of the blue fills my heart & never gets old.

• callalilykris
    18 years ago

Star of Yelta (deep purple) look just beautiful when planted with Crimson Rambler (fushia).

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Anyone notice this thread started in 1999? Wow! This year my fav is Red Star. Chocolate one is good, too.

• shellva
    18 years ago

I just noticed it started in 1999, that is amazing! My favorites are Heavenly Blue and Mt. Fuji.

• janroze
    18 years ago

My DH has the passion for Morning Glories - nothing will do except that gorgeous blue that is well-mannered here.
    jan

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Akasuki no ami is just most beautiful MG I have ever seen. I also have one that I can't figure out the name to. The seeds are a light tan, and it also is unbelieveably gorgeous! It looks kind of like Heavenly blue, but is bigger and is ruffeled. Any ideas? :) Arum

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Does anyone ahve any MORE favorite MG's? :) arum

• butterfly15_ca
    18 years ago

I love 'Heavenly Blue' and 'Grandpa Ott'. I also have a wonderful pink variety that was given to me but is not on the market. The flowers look like 'Crimson Rambler' flowers, but the vine only grows 3-4 feet long.

• blulagoon
    17 years ago

Hands down it would be 'Heavenly Blue'! It's one of the truest blues out there. I just wish they would last longer.
    'Grandpa Otts' is another pretty variety.
    Brian

• dognoses
    17 years ago

does anyone know if there is a morning glory variety with a bright yellow flower

• jessica 6
    17 years ago

I bought a variety i have never seen at the local farmers market today. the guy i bought it from didnt know the variety and i have searched all over but havent found it. maybe someone can help........

It grows very bushy and the foilage looks like a small ivy with green and white streaked leaves. The flowers are about half the size of heavenly blue flowers and are a dark lavender. they will look great along with my other morning glories on my sidewalk garden, if i only knew what they are.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    17 years ago

I love heavenly blue. I have them growing in a washtub right now that is placed under a old portable clothes line (the square kind) DH drilled a hole in the galzanized tub and I planted the morning glories in it and I'm training them to go on all the lines and cover it. I'm training them with the wooden clothes pins.

• maryb49
    17 years ago

The other day I found a picture on the internet of a double blue picotee morning glory and fell in love with it. I emailed the picture to my sister, and she loves it too. Well I spent the past day and a half looking for some place to buy it, and found the Swallow Tail Gardens sell it and about 19 other varieties!! It's gorgeous!

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Is anyone here familiar with Shiruki ao' ? On my goodness, a MG to die for! BIG blue ruffled flowers and varigated leaves. I LOVE it!!!!!!! :) Arum

• flowrgirl1
    17 years ago

Hands down, Heavenly Blue. Its exactly the color of the sky.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Jessica, I realize your post is a very old one, but I think I can ID that MG. I just bought mine yesterday, and yours looks like the same thing. The "Cameo Elegance".
    Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameo elegance

• hardin
    14 years ago

My favorite is Flying Saucers. I love planting it along with Scarlet O'Hara. And, add Moon Vines and I have blooms almost all day. This year, I didn't have any Flying Saucers, as my hubby's dog dug them all up after they sprouted and I couldn't find any more seeds. Yes, the do is still alive, darn him.

• MandyRose9
    11 years ago

I just love morning glories! My favorite is Heavenly Blue, but I've also grown Crimson Rambler, Grandpa Ott, Flying Saucer, and Blue Star (plus a pale pink one). I just started up my seeds for this year, and I have 19 pots of MG seeds started - can't wait to see what I get this year!

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

I currently have 3 types of morning glories: crimson rambler, moonflower, & blue star. However, my all time favorite has to be black kniola. This is the very one I wish to have but I cannot find!!! :(

• Krista
    6 years ago

I realize this post is old, but I have red paint part I realize this post is old, but I have red picotee and grandpa Ott planted this year and I have amazing Baldridg planted this year and I have amazing foliage but still no blooms and it's August 19, is there still hope? All are planted in clay soil that receives falls still no blooms and it's August 19, is there still hope? All are planted in clay soil that receives full sun??

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals