Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fay_zone7

Favorite and/or easiest flowers or plants to root

Fay-zone7
22 years ago

Hi. I was so pleased at how easily my chrysanthemum cuttings rooted last year. It was my first time rooting cuttings. I had plenty to give away,also.Are there alot of plants or flowers that root easily? What is your favorite to root? I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this. Thanks so much, A novice rooter

Comments (42)

• Timeout
    22 years ago

I like to fill in all around with coleus. I'll do a patch of purple here, a patch of chartreuse over there. Last week I bought 3 six packs and got 15 plants from each pack by taking cuttings. I remove the leaves from the bottom node of each cut, dip in rooting hormone and stick the cutting in the ground. Water and just stand back and watch them grow.

• bshearer_hoosierlink_net
    22 years ago

Russian sage roots very easily, too. Planted a big mass of it last year from cuttings I had rooted. They're doing very nicely this year, and have Magic Fountains Delphiniums-a very dark blue with a dark eye-planted in front of them. Can hardly wait to see them blooming together!!!!!!

• fishies
    22 years ago

Coleus, definitely. I haven't had one not take yet (and I have a history of killing off rooters)

• messngom_aol_com
    22 years ago

Thanks to all who answered.I'll sure try the coleus and I've heard really nice things about russian sage. I'm going to try to grow some of it. I also was able to root these bushes easily- hydrangea , butterfly(buddleia davidii) and weigela.Is there not much interest in rooting plants, bushes,etc.or is it so easy that this doesn't interest many? I was surprised to find only a few responses. :)

• bcompton5_msn_com
    22 years ago

Sedums. Pick off a stem, drop it on the ground. You're done! If you REALLY want to work hard, you can actually poke it in the ground, too! ;)

• MeMyselfAndI
    22 years ago

I've discovered that nemesia grows if you stick a stem in the dirt. Also works in water but seems to prefer dirt.

• ellengerman_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

My favorite, is hosta. Not because it is easy, but becaues it is my one plant obsession right now. The hosta forum is my hangout- first time I've visited here.
    Ellen

• lisanti07028
    22 years ago

Try pussy-willows and Rose of Sharon. Any willow will root easily.

Joan

• BerkshirePhyl
    22 years ago

Forsythia. If I don't pick up every twig after I'm done pruning, there's new bushes the next year.

I have an angel wing begonia that I started from a cutting I got from my father-in-law. I couldn't believe how quickly it rooted.

• Adele
    22 years ago

Impatiens--I purchase one or two pony packs in EARLY spring, the leggier the better. Cut them way back; this makes the original plants much better looking when new growth comes. Usually get 4-6 cuttings from each plant. I start them in perlite, but understand water works as well. Usually end up with several dozen plants by the time they are ready to go out.

• asasto_spray_se
    22 years ago

Plants belonging to the ribes family: summercuttings roots very fast.

• Larkspur
    22 years ago

Any kind of mint!

• dafla
    22 years ago

Definitely coleus. This year, as an experiment, I rooted one orange one and started pinching it. It's now about 18 inches across and 14 inches tall! They come in so many pretty colors too!

• fhm56
    22 years ago

The easiest plant i have found is Fuchia, just take a cutting and stick it in a jar of water! we have got loads now and end up giving them away.

• Cynthia_c
    21 years ago

I find confederate roses and Brugmansias are easiest to root :) Wish I had that luck with roses!

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

lots will tell you later

• cicadae
    21 years ago

Jupiter's beard! I just toss it and it grows!

• Shadyflwrs
    20 years ago

Philadelphus (Mock Orange)

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

...Nancy5050 has a very long idea of 'later.' LOL!

Butterfly bush cuttings take root very easily.

• cheryl7b
    20 years ago

coleus
    impatients
    sedum

• rross
    20 years ago

Geranium (zonal pelargonium). Just stick it in the ground. It's also one of the few plants to survive and keep blooming for 3 weeks of no-watering in our very hot summer.

• LindaPNW
    20 years ago

Nikko Blue Hydrangea

I've taken cuttings with two sets of leaves, trimmed the second set of leaves off, and put them in a little jar of water in the garage. I've left them sit for weeks, even months, in water that I changed whenever I thought about it. They just kept growing roots!

• nwroselady
    20 years ago

I dug up a huge hardy fuschia to move it, and threw a lot of leftover roots in the compost pile. Needless to say, I now have a new fuschia bed in what used to be a compost pile, with multiple plants!

• Sally44
    20 years ago

I agree about impatiens. I pinch and stick the tops in the ground as I plant! What a great plant, even though it is over used, I love it. It brightens up my shade every summer. Also I root hydrangeas--I've heard you can just stick these in the ground, but I usually use potting medium. Also my mother and her friends always rooted gardenias in those green Coke bottles! If I cut gardenias and forget to throw them out when the flowers dry up, they will root! Aucuba does the same thing. And boxwood roots easily. One thing about willows: willow water (water that have had willow twigs or stems in it) will help most anything root! Old wives wisdom! Azaleas air layer quite easily, and I have two ten foot Burfordii hollies from air layering about twenty years ago!

• KimmyStar
    20 years ago

NW Roselady,
    Do you ever visit the trading pages? If so, I would be interested in trading for a rooted hardy fuschia!
    Kimmy

• kppg2070
    20 years ago

I started gardening last year, so much is new to me.
    I think my fav. bush is Rose of Sharon.
    Daylillies are my easiest flowers and bloom all summer which is why they are one of my favorites.

• nova_gw
    20 years ago

Tithonia diversaflora, Brazilian Sunflowers, stick them in the ground and forget about them....they grow and flower here with little or no help from me. Also coleus and brugmansia.

• donnaskinner
    20 years ago

Hostas and day lillies. After a few years, I am able to split several of each of these plants and put them in other areas. This saves me a lot of money.

• gradymom
    20 years ago

lilly of the valley, day lillies and peonies

• Dirkie
    19 years ago

Day lily, Chrysanthemum, Fuchsia, hosta, astilbe and at last Musa basjoo, just stick it into the soil and it will grow.

• Kathy_z7
    19 years ago

How do you root Hydrangea and Butterfly Bush? I have a climbing Hydrangea and one of the branches broke off. I stuck it in water, but it eventually died.
    I love getting new plants off of old ones if I can.
    I have a Butterfly bush that isn't doing well, and I would love to try and root a peice if I can.
    Kathy

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

Don't know about climbing hydrangea, but for other hydrangeas, take a soft-tissue cutting from a stem that isn't blooming, leave only the top two leaves, dip in rooting hormone, stick in a pot of loose potting soil. Mist it everyday with a few squirts from a squirt bottle. Heel it in to a protected place in the garden over the winter (in zone 7). Next spring you will have a new hydrangea.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

Get yourself a pussy willow. Any time you want to root something stick it in a vase with a piece of pussy willow and watch it go.

• Julie
    19 years ago

I have found that Korean Lilac is very easy to root when branches are taken in the spring. Be sure to use a "woody" type hormone. I placed it in a pot of vermiculite and placed it in a sealed ziplock and gave it bright light. It took and grew suprisingly fast!
    A fun one to try, but it sure takes a while, is to cut up a begonia leaf and lay it on moist sand. Needs warmth and humidity, but each little peice makes new plants in time.
    Jade trees and most other suculents are easy and fud, just plunk in the dirt and go!
    Any others?
    Julie

• dpens
    19 years ago

VERY happy to learn about propagating impatients.I'm going to try that next spring.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

dpens, I take cuttings of my impatiens in the fall, and overwinter them as houseplants.That way I get to enjoy them in the winter too. Just don't let them get to close to a cold window.

• october17
    19 years ago

I've had double impatiens rooting in water all winter long. They even bloom!

• husky004_
    19 years ago

Brugmansia was very intimidated but easiest thing to grow by far even in Zone 5

• arugala
    12 years ago

petunias will re-root

• morningloree
    11 years ago

I was so happy to hear about all these things that are easy to root. Here are some I have been able to root: Red Shield, Firespike, Lutea alba, Cherries Jubilee Allamanda, Hibiscus, and Chinese Perfume Plant.

• PTLandscape
    10 years ago

I have been doing this for years, and have about a 90% success rate. Most people don't know that by bringing most annuals inside or taking cuttings that they can be enjoyed for many years. Never hurts to use a small bit of rooting hormone or willow water to help speed the formation of roots on cuttings.

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    8 years ago

I know this is an older post, but I have two to add to the list: Potato Vine and Gardenia. I've rooted both of these many times! Great to multiply the Potato Vine since they're pretty pricey. I keep the tubers each year, start them from that, then take cuttings and root them.

Compiled an Ideabook on My Houzz page if anyone wants to view it. ;)

Sponsored