Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_tn

least favorite color for flowers

Rhonda - TN
24 years ago

What is your least favorite color for flowers?

I would say mine is yellow and orange they just remind me of grade school when each and every year millions of children grow marigolds from seed. These poor, pittiful excuses for peace offerings were planted in our front yards by our proud parents only to be run over "accidently" by the lawn mower the next week.

I had hoped that by the time my children were old enough to bring home marigolds that they came in different colors. I guess not, but I will be a proud parent and plant those peace offerings with pride, only because my children grew them and I'll try not to run over them with the lawn mower either.

Comments (111)

• glorybee
    21 years ago

I like pinks,purples,and reds and as far as blue and white are considered I like them as accents.
    I like green/white variegated.The only yellow I prefer is a light butter yellow.I am not fond of orange or yellow either.Used to have a boutique and sold hair accesories.Some of them were packaged by the dozen wholesale and the colors that we always got STUCK with were yellow and orange :).

Heidi S~

• kate1
    21 years ago

Those orange/pink geraniums that the stores sell millions of every year. I call it not made in nature pink.A Kmart color.(got that from the fact that almost every tee shirt that Kmart sells is a weird shade of what ever color it is, not made in nature....it's weird. I wonder why?)

• MeMyselfAndI
    21 years ago

Another vote for orange. I don't like red either.

• loniesmom
    21 years ago

Currently, pink. Most shades, especially since that's just about the only color any of my neighbors DO have in all of their gardens in a multitude of flowers. Awful! One "creative" neighbor has recently had her flower garden re-done in (get this) shades of pale pink, purple and white (sound familiar? Like THREE years ago?) UGH!

Any totally expected color in just about any flower - love parrot tulips, detest pure red and clear yellow tulips. Love orange roses, loathe marigolds; Give me the gasp of shock when someone recognizes the flower but NOT the color - then I know I've done my garden justice.

• Foxy_Gloves
    21 years ago

Is it the colors that you don't like or the flower? I like any color I can get to bloom!

• springcherry
    21 years ago

I don't have a least favorite color, what I have is least favorite mixes. First of all, any mix that is too uniform, predictable or unbalanced-looking. An all pink(especially if the exact same pink without varying textures), white and green garden seems to be be many peoples' safe bet, and is just too cute and boring. It looks like they bought itin a kit.

Its opposite is equelly bad--someone looking for a strikingly "sophisticated" use of color. This is where chartreuse, dark red and purple foliage and flowers can be an eyesore. Chartreuse and marroon, with no other sofening shades between or around them, are vomitious. Now, I love these unusual shades, but you've got to have mediating hues to make the contrasts pleasing. Schock value alone is not art.

Hardscape is as important in the mix as flowers. Bricks? Stones? Pots? Fences? Furniture? Bark?

I want to be filled up to overflowing with the beauty of the mix, whatever the mix -- of shades, textures, harmonies and suprises. I want birds and butterflies and bugs in there too. Throw in a stream while youre at it. And light, swathes of dappled, patterned greens(looks at the dif tween grass in shawdow or sun) and colors that recede or explode depending on the time of day.

Boy, for someone whose only gardened for 2 years I sure am opinonated;-)

Springcherry

• herbabuena
    21 years ago

I spend all winter waiting for some COLOR, so by the time it comes, I want it BRIGHT!

• babzclare
    21 years ago

It's hard to say honestly-I can't rule anything out because in the right combination all colors can be interesting and enjoyable to look at...I guess I would have a harder time with orangey reds. I used to not like yellow, but then I saw it with purples and decided I like it...ok, my least favorite flower color is brown-that would be a dead flower : )

• mystdragyn
    21 years ago

Blue. I absolutely hate blue anywhere on anything for any reason. I love all the other colors, even the black but never ever will there be anything blue in my garden.

• suzie_q864
    21 years ago

Salmon....I really started hating it when my mother-in-law insisted that I only plant salmon colored inpatiens. We spent all of last summer & all the way into the end of October looking at nothing but salmon. Two large border flower beds full. Unfortunately, they did very well. By the end I couldn't wait for a good frost to get rid of them. This year I put in brilliant orange, eye-popping purple, white, red, baby pink, lipstick pink & star in several colors. I didn't ask my mother-in-law what she wanted...I figured with all of those colors to choose from she could find something she liked...Thank god no salmon!!!!

Suzie

• cicadae
    21 years ago

faded pinkish purple...yuck!

• boomchuckchuck
    20 years ago

I love orange...every shade, coral, salmon, burnt "dirty" orange, orange-red, peach! Orange is the chakra of "motherhood", so to me, it is warm and nurturing. I love the colors of dahlias and celosia. I love the "hot", even neon colors. I love black flowers and I love chartruese. Most of you would hate my garden! I love marigolds too, but the snails love them more!

• Shadyflwrs
    20 years ago

lavender, the color some people call blue so that when you read blue in the catalogues you never know if you are getting Campanula lavender or Delphinium blue.

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Stella D'Oro daylilies have the ugliest colored flowers of all flowers in existence!

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

I like many oranges, but there are these poppies that some people around here grow that are the UGLIEST shade of orange you can imagine. I turn away from them... their garishness embarrasses me somehow...I think the people growing them think they're beautiful...ah, well, to each their own.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

I like 'em all, but in harmonious combinations. In spring I accidentally had red tulips, yellow bidens, and pink snapdragons. Like they say, what WAS I thinking????

• bamboogrrrl
    20 years ago

I particularly loathe any flower in that shade of mac 'n' cheese. This would include Stella D'Oro daylilies and a vile coreopsis my sister-in-law gave us. I do plant them, tho, if only for their exuberance. They CAN be softened by other hues. Why is it that the most loathesome colors grow the most vigorously? Or are they loathesome because they are too easy to grow, and become visual cliches? Casserole colors. Humph.

• janinel2
    20 years ago

I passionately hate rust-tinged dirty green foilage.

• tangerine_z6
    20 years ago

Orange and MAUVE!

• loniesmom
    20 years ago

So to strike balance between visual cliche and shock-value-only I suppose all colors could have their proper place - except that dead-looking (what was the phrase used here? Oh yeah )- rootbeer popsicle yellowish-brownish-pinkish mud color mum.

• Frizzle
    20 years ago

Any shade of green for a flower color.

Friz

• undercover_owl
    20 years ago

green flowers. What's the point of having flowers the same color as the plant?

I don't think any color of flowers are offensive, not even mildly unpleasant. But I have to say that a green flower is a waste of flower.

• laa_laa
    20 years ago

The purpose of green in the garden is to blend those colors that would otherwise clash. Foliage is the bridge between colors. I've never had colors fight against each other in the garden, because I have plenty of foliage. Therefore, I feel almost repulsed by a green flower. It seems so fake. Perhaps, like orchids, these flowers look well inside, but they lose their meaning outside.

• daisydolphin
    20 years ago

Just had to laugh about the casserole colors! I love true orange, but that Kraft dinner/yellow-orange shade really creeps me out in flowers. My sister calls it "uringe". Yucky but quite descriptive. That said, I do think this color works when paired with purple and a LOT of green.

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    20 years ago

I hate that wannabe-blue purple. I love purples that sit decidedly on the pink side of the fence- what is sometimes meant by "lavender" and what someone above referred to as "orchid" if I was reading them correctly. I've never figured out what to call it. I hate that wannabe-blue purple mostly because my eyes start to cross sometimes when I'm trying to decide if the purple is more pink or more blue. I'm not sure why it matters, but it does. I hate most of what is called blue, though the blue of mecanopsis is awesome. I'm passionate about orange, but its got to be right- not too red and definitely not too yellow ("uringe"- I'll have to remember that!). I also think green and green/white flowers are really cool. Black doesn't repulse me, but I haven't figured out exactly how to use it yet. I'ld like black flowers even better if they didn't come on green plants.

• Jackie McCarty
    20 years ago

red. i dont really like the oranges either. like cool colors like blue, and purple. also like white flowers adn sometimes yellow and pink. i am working on a front border that is mostly pink, white, and yellow.

• gldno1
    20 years ago

Blace, browns, tans or greens! I have an iris that is almost brown that just disgusts me......I don't know why I don't just dig it up. Greens and blacks make me think of something poisonous. I love everything else.

• GibsonGirl
    20 years ago

Orange is my least favorite. Won't have it anywhere in the garden. There are some tawny daylilies in a corner of my yard that I keep meaning to dig up one day when my back and/or elbow isn't bothering me yet. When they bloom I cut them all for a big vase inside. I don't have any rooms where the color scheme would accept orange but I do have a fireplace, so I plunk the vaseful of orange daylilies right on the hearth in front of the firescreen. And somehow THERE they look okay!

I was never terribly fond of brown flowers until a mystery iris bloomed last spring. It had dark bronze standards and mocha-colored falls. Don't know where it came from but it sure looked nice. Nice enough to make me think of taking a walk to Starbucks for a frappucino and a piece of chocolate cake. Hm. Maybe having brown flowers is not such a good idea for my waistline!

• thegardenangel
    20 years ago

I have to say I never liked the orange color either, until it accidentaly came out in my first small garden. Orange zinnias and hot pink ones, surrounded by blue chinese forget-me-nots, with silene catchfly and baby snapdragons mixed in looked awesome, and the butterflies loved them!
    Had kids stopping by asking if they could go look at my "roses" lol just to see all the butterflies they attracted. Mother nature knows what she's doing! this combo was accidental on my part, I sprinkled a wildflower can of seeds (several years old) and plopped some zinnia seedlings someone gave me, in the middle of the whole thing... but then the black-eye-susans joined the party and it got a little wild. LOL I loved it! that's how I got into gardening. =) Friends and family were always walking over to see them and loved the riot of color.

Now green flowers I don't get, seem strange to me too, especially the green "Envy Zinnia" I've seen in some catalogs.

• rross
    20 years ago

I'm not crazy about orange or yellow flowers as a rule, but this summer the portulaca that have sprung up are orange and yellow and they look lovely. Also, I fell for and acquired orange and yellow abutilon at the local nursery, so these colours now predominate in my garden. So much for rules.

• TJM125
    20 years ago

Orange(except roses), orchid, brown red,black red,BLECHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lady_Lisa
    20 years ago

Orange, definately, and the worst has to be marigolds. Nasty colour, nasty shape and utterly disgusting smell. Green flowers look terrible in the garden, like a sick plant, but look fabulous as a cut flower when teamed with just about any other colour, how strange is that?
    Lisa (New GW addict!!)

• flowersandthings
    20 years ago

I'd have to say I like all colors except for brown..... white doesn't do much and boring color combinations like pink and purple...... I like red....... :) .....

• Rohail
    20 years ago

Love all colors except maroon- its depressing. Red is ok but I'm not mad about it

• donnaskinner
    20 years ago

Pink, to me looks like it had been red, and faded.

• donnaskinner
    20 years ago

I am not really crazy about pink flowers, to me they look like they were red at one time, then faded.

• mstargardener1
    20 years ago

Any muddy color mostly pinks,lavenders,mauves can't stand mixed up colors in flowers unless they are true clear colors. I think alot of iris are ugly because of the brown tones, also cosmos pinks and mauves just ugly. I love orange it is my new favorite color this year but, I will not have a marigold in my yard. Hate them only consider in veggie garden because they help with the BAD BUGS. Planted a hollyhock last year that was pink and maroon Thought I was getting a HOT pick one. Pulled it out and wouldn't you know it came back this year! Darn I guess I did not get the whole root.
    MG

• dirtmonkey
    19 years ago

I see I'm not so weird after all. I don't much care for yellow.

I'm coming to accept orange, but not on marigolds. I won't grow marigolds. I do like it on pot marigolds (Calendula) though.

Even worse than plain yellow to me too, is pinkish/rosy-lavender. That color really should have its own name, so I can see it on plant tags and AVOID that plant.

Vincent

• TJM125
    19 years ago

Nothing with brown in it. Purple/brown(some ugly iris comes to mind), red/brown, orange/brown, yellow/brown. When something has brown it signals to me that it is dead, dying, or somewhere in the middle.

• dogwire
    16 years ago

Orange is my least favorite with yellow/orange a close second. I like anything with a clear bright color. I bright yellow daisy or sun flower is fine, but an orange lily... yuck

Here is a link that might be useful: Cut Flowers at Wholesale Prices : BloomsByTheBox.com

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    16 years ago

I'm with the group who don't like those brown, muddy looking lilies and Iris'. I like bright pinks, not the soft pink or pale lavender as it looks lifeless to me. I like yellow or orange with blue flowers mixed in. Also like white because it shows off all the other colors. I do like variegated leaves, they brighten any area. I was given some "black" Iris but haven't seen it in bloom so don't have an opinion on that one yet. However, I put it in front of a Limelight Hydrangea to add interest.
    Trowelgal

• ohgirl
    16 years ago

Iam with that other respondent that said "after the winter, I want everything bright!! On my part I'll add "LOUD colors do it for me!"
    Now i dont care for that light lavender color, like the cosmos comes in. NOT AT ALL! BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
    My marigolds are exceptional! Big and bushy,loads of flower heads on strong stems!LUSH, Just stunning!
    Give me HOT REDS and YELLOWS, with some white thrown in too.
    OH, and i LOVE ORANGES and BURGUNDY colors to!
    I dont get the green zinnias either.I grew it one year just to see.....I wasnt impressed!

• hdladyblu_2007
    16 years ago

hot pink

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I'm in the camp that doesn't like GREEN flowers. Thats what the leaves & stems are for. The flower doesn't need to be green too.

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

I agree with booberry!

• misskimmie
    16 years ago

I don't like brown flowers! ;-)

• blulagoon
    15 years ago

What is with all the orange hating? Tsk Tsk! I love orange, its my favorite flower color now. I also love magenta too. And lime green and black! Has anyone looked through Sarah Raven's "The Bold And Brilliant Garden"? Now she has a pallette after my own heart!
    Now to the colors that I cant stand:
    #1 White! God, I hate white flowers. Can we say, "Stick out like a sore thumb in the garden" and come on, white? I can't think of a more boring and bland color, except beige(thank God flowers don't come in biege), but it also just seems so stark and harsh and cold at the same time. And it's not really a color. Yick!

#2 Pastels! What is up with these? What washed out, bland wimpiness! I don't get what is so poplular about these colors-lavender, baby pink, apricot, mauve, lilac, peach, primrose yellow, etc. its like Laura Ashley threw up!

• cjpunkz
    15 years ago

Brown flowers would be like dead flowers. LOL! Anyway, I also don't like pastels for flowers. It somewhat lacks life, i want vibrance in arranging flowers so I don't use much pastels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garten Pavillon

• morello
    14 years ago

i love deep blue, it so peacefull

• woodside
    14 years ago

yellow

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm