Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yarrow any tips on this plant

Posted by jannie808 5 PA USA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 02 at 10:38

Any ideas or suggestion on how to care for this, I just planted about 4 yarrow plants small, I want them to become tall and wide, I know they are drought tolerant,but in the hot summers here reaching the 90's how much water is required for these plants, any ideas,? THanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yarrow any tips on this plant

Well, they will need regular watering to become established, but after that I just leave the yarrow alone -- it makes it on rain water only.
I don't know what varieties of yarrow you have. I have the tall Parker's -- it stands up straight about 5 feet and has the yellow flat flowers, the moonbeam is like that but shorter. I have a red one that I love -- Weser River Sand stone -- beautiful color -- and stand up.
Some of the others -- Credo, Paprika, Terra Cotta -- tend to sprawl when they are in bloom. Eventually I cut them to the ground when the sprawling drives me crazy. I think that all of them should be cut to the ground after blooming. And yarrows need to be divided every few years.
Good luck
Susan

o

I agree with the above..they only need additional water the first year (till established). After that, I leave them alone.
I have mine planted in a wildflower area and they are thriving. The bed is in full sun, plus it is a dry, lean bed.
I do add mulch and compost in early spring.

Tammy

o

• Posted by RBSz 7-GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 02 at 14:31

Ours came with the house. I do nothing to them -- no extra water (and we've been in a drought for several years now), no compost, fertilizer or mulch, really. In fact, now when I move bulbs around and have to pull up some of the yarrow to do it, I don't even bother replacing the plant carefully, I just set it back roots down. For the past two years I've had to rip out patches and trade them, otherwise the whole bed will be overrun. Before I pulled up the landscape cloth, it was pushing up through it. So I don't think you need to give it any special attention. It may not be as invasive in your zone.

o

I thought that the lady at the garden store said that the Yarrow Achilles would bloom all summer. If youcut them back to the ground can they still grow and bloom the same year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here