Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachiekean

Does anyone have garden nightmares?

peachiekean
21 years ago

I'm talking about real dreams. Mine from this morning: I look out the front window to see the lawn scalped to the point it's an amber color and my new garden bed has been leveled by the city workers (they are just raking up and getting ready to leave). I was crushed! Serves me right for going back to bed when I should have just gotten up. Checked my garden with a sigh of relief!

What are your nightmares?

Comments (23)

• Gloria_Obrien
    21 years ago

That some of the people from the favorites forum who gripe about their neighbors should move into my neighborhood.

• Cyniska
    21 years ago

Mine's a lot like yours, Peachiekean: I let my dogs out in the morning to find that Ontario Hydro has dug a ten foot deep trench across my front lawn and is levelling all the young spruce trees (which I planted in my field across the road seven years ago) to build a great sprawling administration building. That's my nightmare, but the reality isn't so great either. When I first moved here a stream flowed through and pickerel swam up every year to spawn. In constructing high voltage power lines Ontario Hydro left trees lying in the stream bed downstream and effectively ruined it for fish.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    21 years ago

Peachiekean, (and Cyniska)
    Strange...I have also had that nightmare several times about city workers leveling my garden bed by the road! Right now, my nightmare is more often about bugs (slugs, Japanese beetles, etc...) having big, all night parties in my flowers!

Anne-Marie
    NY-zone 5

• robinbird
    21 years ago

The other week I came home to find that the power company had come to trip some of the branches on my oak tree that were getting close to the power lines. They didn't take any consideration for the plants (or the satallite dish) that was underneath their trimming. There was a newly established rock garden with beautiful cacti and grasses and they let the large limbs fall all over and squish everything. There was also potted plants containing a huge yucca, morning glories, dwarf indian hawthorn, and my lovely bird of paradise plant. All squished. Not to mention the satallite dish that was ding and scratched. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased!

• Dswan
    21 years ago

I had a real dream about two months ago where I was awakened to the sounds of grazing sheep. I went outside and there were sheep eating my perrenials down to their roots. There was a young fellow on a horse tending them and he had a dog with him that was directing the sheep to the parts of my yard that hadn't been eaten.

When I complained to this feller, he told me that his pa owned the grazing rights to the neighborhood and I'd have to take it up with him. The boy also said the neighbors were happy to see him cause they didn't need to mow this week.

That's all I remember, but as you can imagine, counting sheep isn't the way I want to go to sleep.

• cyndezu
    21 years ago

I had a beautiful dream... about the nightmare I'm working on right now, maybe it's the opposite for a southpaw.

Cindy

• Casperr
    21 years ago

I find that I dream about my gardens, not nightmares, but actually creative dreams. If I'm working on an area and can't quite figure out what to do with it, it bugs me. And I'll just leave it and come back to it later. Usually, one night I dream abuot the area and what it looks like with things planted it that I had not even imagined. Then I get up the next morning all gung-ho and rush out to work on it. Pretty cool!

NancyAnn

• Ladystaghorn
    21 years ago

Giant grasshoppers, I mean really BIG ones...their mouths are so big I can fit my fist into them....they eat their way thru my collection of 70 some staghorn ferns & leave only the mount board or bare rootball behind. Of course I have a real problem with them...but not on that magnitute...close though! lol

• SusanC
    21 years ago

My previous garden was dreadfully overrun with oxalis, and I had regular nightmares about being overcome by monster oxalis while weeding.

I had one particularly vivid nightmare. -I got home from work to find that my husband had hired workers to weed the garden for me as a surprise; All that was left was the stepping stones...

• coolbeansw
    21 years ago

Hey Casperr, that's a really good idea you gave me; I have this one difficult area in my yard, and I'm going to try to dream about it! Who knows, I may come up with a great solution in my sleep! Thanks,
    coolbeans

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Only lately

• Nigella
    21 years ago

I dreamed that the weeping willow was taking over my bedroom. Does that count?

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

One time I dreamed that when I went out to the front yard, millions of mushrooms popped up and covered everything. It was wierd.

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

I have nightmares about those green beetles coming down from MI & killing the 2 ash trees that keep the front of my house & driveway in shade.

• diannp
    20 years ago

Shortly after we bought our acreage I had a dream that my Dad came over to help out and "limbed" up all my lovely fir and pine trees in the back yard 12' high so I could now mow under them. And then he cut down all the trees in the front of my house so we could have a better view and be able to mow easier. I tell you, I woke up in a cold sweat and went out straight out to check and make sure it was really a dream. ;)

Diann
    IA z5

• Growin_Crazy
    20 years ago

I dreamed that I was digging in my garden and hit a ball of hibernating rattlesnakes. YIKES! I woke up very quickly. Strange dream, since I don't think snakes hibernate in Florida.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

We have a noise problem with the neighborhood children playing basketball in the street using a hoop at the end of the neighbor's driveway. I wrote a poem about it:

Solace in my garden
    Takes a nasty turn
    When the balls of children
    Make the pavement burn.

Oh, those crazy boing sounds
    And the thump thump thump
    Make my head start spinning
    And the daisies jump.

In my dream the other night, I was trying to work outside in my garden in back, and the boys and adult playing (with many balls) floated right over my head. It felt like my head was exploding. I woke up, and the nightmare was real.

• davissue_zone9
    20 years ago

I've woken up almost crying, more than once over a dream that we had sold the house and were moving into an apartment. The thought of ever having to leave my garden sends chills down my spine!

• Talamorgan
    20 years ago

Every time I close my eyes, I can see burned into my retinas the image of the crabgrass I've been fighting all summer. My nightmares always revolve around having to spend the rest of my days on my hands and knees (I have terrible knees and can't even kneel) pulling out crabgrass, fingers cramped and bleeding, knees cut up and unable to even straighten anymore...ugh.

• karenmarie
    20 years ago

This was a repetative dream that I had a lot last spring. In my dreams I was constantly digging up plants and then replanting them in another spot. It never ended. Over and over all night. Not too exciting, but I would really wake up very tired. It did stem from reality- I had a lot to move and I was feeling overwhelmed.

I had another dream about getting bitten by a two-headed snake. Not sure what that means.

• ocbird
    20 years ago

Hornworms. I've been raising a few into sphinx moths, and the other night i dreamt that i had a huge box of them, only they were brownish and were leaping all over me.

Yeeeeccchhhh!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    20 years ago

I once dreamed that I had some turquoise and pink flowers. This confirmed that I dreamed in color. Funny, though, I don't usually feel heat or cold or wind in my dreams.

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    20 years ago

The only one was dreaming of coming across the world's best plant sale- you know- a multitude of large sized healthy specimens of exactly the plants you are wanting for like $1- and not having a penny to my name! Ouch!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus