Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhrost

Humorous Gardening Anecdote

bhrost
17 years ago

I was just reminded today of a mildly amusing incident which took place last year and thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone had a funnier story.

I was pruning a green ash street tree for a neighbor. After clearing out some dead branches I removed some lower limbs hanging over the sidewalk so no one would have to stoop over. Being about 6 feet and 1 inch myself I pruned it up 4 or 5 inches higher, thinking that it would allow plenty of clearance. The branches didn't seem to hang much lower in wet weather either.

I was on the other side of the street commenting on how this should be plenty of clearance when an individual who must have been 6' 10' or 11" strolled down the other side of the street and ducked under my newly pruned street tree. After sharing a laugh I went over and limbed it up another 5 or 6 inches. Amazing how this tall guy not native to the neighborhood just happens to stroll by at this precise time, I don't believe I saw him again and could probably stand there for maybe years and not have another individual this tall pass.

Comments (2)

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

One day I let the dogs outside for their morning recess, & they went into a frenzy of hysterical barking.

I ran outside without my glasses & saw them standing by the fence, barking like maniacs.

I heard weird shuffling, snuffling sounds from the other side of the fence.

I raced back through the house & out the front door (still without my glasses), ready to confront whatever demon was out ther threatening my dogs, my home, my whatever...

& scared the bejeebers out of myself!

I didn't recognize the big dark shape at first, & I was afraid to get closer.

It was huge, & dark, & it wasn't a person or a dog, & it moved oddly & made grunting noises.

Finally, it moved so that I could see its head & face.

It was a full-grown hog, bigger than I am.

called the neighbor who knows everybody in the area, & she said, "Oh, that's Hamlet. He likes dogs, & the dog next door to Hamlet's house is at the kennel over the week-end, so he probably got lonely. Just clap your hands & tell him to go home."

so I clapped my hands, & Hamlet went home.

• technodweeb
    17 years ago

When I lived in California, my dogÂs dishes were on a rug in front of the double doors in the master as he went freely in and out on the deck, as did I. I loved smelling the flowers, etc. I used to just leave the doors open when my dog and I went to the store.

Came home one day  dog went around the deck toward the doors on the master. I headed in the front door with the groceries. DidnÂt hear him come through the other route. But heard strange, loud fluttering noises coming from the master.

Walked in  and there must have been 20 stellar blue jays in the master. (These are large birds, the size of Robins) Flying around, some were sitting on the window sills  some were behind the drapes (looking like birds stuck in a terrarium)  some just perched on the headboard - and my dog standing in the doorway going "WHAT?!?!"

They must have been at his food bowl and water right there at the open doors! And he scattered them inside!

Imagine all these wild birds  I immediately shut down the ceiling fan that was ALWAYS running (why I didnÂt end up with pureed blue jay in that room, IÂll never know)  shut the blind on the sky lite above that fan because they kept trying to fly up to it  ran around covering the windows with exceptionally dark towels  leaving only the open doors outside. I started from one side of the room to the other yelling "go into the light!" When all was said and done, only one silly bird remained running around on the floor and had to take him outside in a towel.

What a MESS Â I should have bought stock in the anti-bacterial sprays.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor