Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby crepe myrtle or weed?

Posted by mattp321 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:54

Haven't mowed the lawn in a few weeks since it's been so hot. These things are sprouting up in one area of the yard. I've seen them in the past but always just mowed them down with the grass.

This time I dug down to have a look and they are shooting up from roots underground. Roots are about 1" in diameter and about 8" below ground. There used to be a old red or pink crepe myrtle in the area, which I had to cut down (stump was removed too) about 4 years ago to re-grade the yard.

These things are only coming up in this area of the yard.

If they are baby crepe myrtles, attached underground, is there any chance to cut them from the old roots and transplant them elsewhere? Anyone have any ideas about that?

Or, are these just some strange looking weeds I should roundup/mow?

Picture shows how it looks above ground, and also the view dug out connected to a root. (in this case, the end of a root)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby crepe myrtle or weed?

Definitely looks like crepe myrtle to me. I'm constantly cutting these down at the base of mine. I don't know about transplanting, though.

o

Those are suckers growing from a large root that belongs to a big crepe myrtle growing somewhere or from one that was cut down in a spot near there and the roots weren't removed,

o

you might expiriment with digging up as large of a peice of root as you can and transplanting it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here