Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beigestonehill

Great smells

beigestonehill
19 years ago

I just read the stinkiest flower thread...very entertaining. What about great smells in the garden? Some of my favorites include the smell of the dirt, all salvias, acorus, bearded iris, and musk roses.

Comments (33)

• ginger57
    19 years ago

Sweet Peas, my alltime favorite

• magazinewriter
    19 years ago

Dwarf mock orange. Although I have only two of them, their divine scent wafts over an entire acre.

• plantaholic
    19 years ago

my favorites....ginger lilies, night blooming jasmine, gardenia, magnolia, and banana-shrub.

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

There is some plant in my neighborhood, and no one can figure out what it is, but it is heavenly! In late spring everyone goes out and smells it, but we can't locate it... I have lots of tropicals, but this is an awesome smell.... wonder what it is...

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

If you've never smelled brugmansia, you're missing out. It is the best.

• mesquiteent
    19 years ago

Chocolate flower (Berlandiera lyrata)!

• ankraras
    19 years ago

Phattane ;- To me the flower of this plant has the most delightful scent!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• Sally_D
    19 years ago

Daturas, Brugs. and my roses are the best.

• agnellok
    19 years ago

I love the smell of Rosemary........

• magazinewriter
    19 years ago

Also -- my LaReve Oriental lilies smell divine, not bitter or medicinal like some other lilies.

• MartinNMontross
    19 years ago

Lemon Thyme is like therapy. I go outside and rub my fingers on it when the day gets stressful...delightful!

• rross
    19 years ago

Freesias and the Mr Lincoln rose. They smell so fresh. Also the camphour laurels. They'll be coming into flower in a few weeks. To me that's the real smell of spring.

• dighappy
    19 years ago

Honeysuckle, lilacs, the grass after its been mowed. Double Delight & White magic roses, lavender.

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

The smell in March or April when the snow has left and the earth is just beginning to awaken. I come out and sniff for that every day. I don't truly believe in spring until it happens.
    Sweet black eyed susan (Rudbeckia subtomentosa.) The entire plant becomes sweetly scented sometime in October after it has flowered. The scent is very strong but diffuse - it took me ages to figure out where the scent was coming from.
    The third is the smell of autumn leaves when I'm raking them- an absolutely ambrosiacal scent of red wine and brown sugar. It keeps me raking leaves year after year.

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

Daphne odora. It should be a perfume.

• rosadee
    19 years ago

Lilly of the Valley; Roses; Honeysuckle; Lilac

• Julie
    19 years ago

I agree Ninamarie, the very best scent there is, is the smell of the soil coming awake and alive after a long cold winter. It's as if Mother Nature herself has exhaled and brought new life to the world.
    My family teases me because when I was a child, I got sooo excited on that first special day of spring, and told everybody that "I can smell worms!!!"
    I also love Easter Lilies! Another harbinger of spring! How about sweet allysum? That is a goodie! And the hosta's like royal or is it regal standard!!! Sumptious! Hyacynths too!
    Great string!! Keep it going!

• Braveland4H
    19 years ago

Spring or rain. Toss-up Can't decide. Maybe spring rains??

• peakpoet
    19 years ago

Julie MN I know exactly what you mean. It's more than a smell, it's a vitality in the air, an excitement that infects everyone.

Now that I live in Southern Calfiornia my favorite smell comes from my Giant Burmese Honeysuckle in early summer. I have it in a large container and it grows up to the third floor of my condo building. I can smell it around the corner 50' away welcoming me home.

peak

• Jen26
    19 years ago

Ninamarie's description of the earth "waking up" almost brought tears to my eyes! It just doesn't get any better than that. But best-smellin' blooms...lilacs and hosta "August lily" are two of the best.

• beigestonehill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I love that earth waking up smell too. It will be a little time before we smell that smell. I also love the smell of the earth going to sleep that smell you get before the ground freezes.

• dogpatchlady
    19 years ago

New here, but had to add my favorite garden odor. It's the smell of healthy growing tomato plants. It's not a sweet flowery smell. Very earthy, strong and kind of feral. It has an undertone that almost says *danger*. It takes me back to grandma's back steps, shirt tail full of yellow cherry tomatoes and a salt shaker in one hand, juice dripping.

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

Michelia Alba the best
    brugmansia
    osmanthus fragrans smells just like apricots
    chinese flowering rice plant or perfume plant...lovely
    star jasmine
    orange or lemom blossoms

• SandL
    19 years ago

Bearded irises have a smell? I have tons of them and have never smelled anything coming from them.
    Well, mine would have to be from a bush/vine/large shruby thingy my mom had in her garden. I have no idea what it was called, but from spring to summer it bloomed thousands of these tiny white flowers that perfumed the air so much it would slam you to the ground as soon as you opened the back door. I loved it!!
    From my grandmother's garden it would have to be lemon verbena. She had a perfume scented the same as her verbena's which I loved. I used to break open the leaves, rubbing them on my wrist so I could smell like her. If my zone will tolerate them, lemon verbena is diffintaly going in my garden!
    Heather

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

tuberoses smell like gardenias
    hosta 'honey bells' also smell like gardenias
    lily of the valley
    lilacs
    roses (why plant a rose without a scent??)
    snapdragons smell like bubblegum
    mock orange
    pine needles covering the forest floor
    hemlock tree branches, scratch 'n sniffed

• Copperlilac
    19 years ago

Lilacs on a breezy day, the subtle smell of a tulip (they should bottle it and sell it as perfume :) ), Tall hardy phlox on a humid night, pine or cedar trees (especially in the middle of a forest), Autumn evenings while everything is cool and crisp and the smell of the leaves hangs in the air.

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

Calycanthus (sp?) a/k/a carolina allspice - smells like ripe strawberries.

• Nigella
    19 years ago

Nobody's mentioned ricepaper plant blooms, they smell like honey. Hoya carnosa smells like chocolate(actually, it smells exactly like cocao butter to me), Trachelospermum jasminoides all have lovely scents, the cultivar 'Yellow Star' smells like Grape NeHi; Jasminum polyanthum smells like bubblegum. I love the scent of Osmanthus fragrans and Michelia figo, and Jasmine sambac is heavenly. 'Double Delight' rose is wonderful but I have a climbing rose with smallish pink flowers that has a scent so powerful that a single bloom perfumes the entire yard. I love the smell of my butterfly gingers and Crinum americanus are also delightful.

I was very surprised this past spring to discover that Loropetalum chinense has a very pretty, soft smell and I have a really lovely double pink Nerium oleander that smells like baby powder. And of course there's that peachy smelling yellow plumeria(actually, all plumies are pretty nice but the peach scented one is the best).

Well, I could go on(and on, and on, and on, I adore plants that have a nice scent, lol) but I'll let somebody else take the floor.

• gardeners_hands
    19 years ago

The smell of fresh lemons, rind and juice.

(give me a moment to compose myself.........)
    OK, whew, makes me weak.

Nearly everything everyone has named above.... plus:
    the fragrance of Naked Ladies (surprise lilies) a close tie with MaDonna lilies.
    the smell of new puppies, kittens (and new babies!)
    the smell of a barn full of top quality alfalfa!
    hot biscuits right out of the oven.
    the smell when you open the door of a leather shop.
    the smell of a whole basketful of 100% cotton sheets crisp and straight off the clothesline.
    the wonderful odor when you open a new box of tea, not as obvious as the terrific aroma of a new can of coffee opened but lovely in it's own way.
    the scent of your neighbor's fireplace when it catches you by surprise (and they're burning something nice), I get nostalgic about wafting hardwood smoke.
    GH

• presspull
    19 years ago

I can't believe no one's mentioned the scent of boxwood on a summer day ... ahhhhh.

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

Evening-scented stocks (Matthiola) on a warm summer evening. Also the smell of autumn, just about harvest time.

-GC

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Cordyline australis flowers. Manuka (Leptospermum) wood smoke. The smell of a mountain stream in the bush on a hot day, with ferns, leaf-smells and forest floor duff.

Lavender, Artemisia, and Santolina. Jasmine polyanthum.

• mjc1955_1958_gmail_com
    14 years ago

I grew up on a dairy farm. I love the smell of new mown hay.
    Red clover alfalfa. Such a clean, green, fresh smell. If anyone knows where I can find this scent in perfume, candles & room freshener please let me know. I appreciate any help.

Sponsored