Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memyselfandi_gw

Your fav TINY plant?

MeMyselfAndI
20 years ago

I have some kind of fascination with really small plants, both indoors and out. Some of my favs are:

moss - the world's shortest plants?

{{gwi:735370}} (tender)

mini-roses (perennials)

mini-Hostas (perennials)

mini-african violets (tender)

{{gwi:735371}} (tender)

johnny jump-ups (perennials)

Arabis (rock cress, perennial)

Crocus (bulb)

Muscari (grape hyacinths, bulb)

{{gwi:735372}} (Kenilworth ivy, tender, re-seeder)

{{gwi:735373}}(rain lily, tender bulb, shown larger than actual size)

And I always have lots of cuttings in tiny (3" or smaller) pots.

What teeny-tiny plants do u love?

Comments (32)

• karen_ct
    20 years ago

My favorite tiny plant is Gold Edge Thyme (thymus citriodorus). It has pretty green leaves edged in yellow and a wonderful lemon fragrance.

I have it paired with a Lady Baltimore Hibiscus in a large container. I also have it in several herb planters that I've put together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical Online: Gold Edge Thyme (thymus citriodorus)

• hopflower
    20 years ago

Lily-of-the-Valley is one of mine...I can't grow them very well here in California, so they are a real charmer for me.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

Ageratum, the low-growing groundcover kind. Love the blue color and tiny blossoms, they look great under just about any plant.

• mormolis
    20 years ago

fuchsia microphylla (leaves and flowers about half an inch)

• ankraras
    20 years ago

For the pass 3 years I have managed to keep an

under 5 inches in height. Surprise-surprise it flowers for me every year. Woo-hoo...

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• mamabirrd
    20 years ago

I love wooly thyme. Petunias and Johnny Jump-ups are great too.

• Vrtlar
    20 years ago

I'm sorry I don't know the proper names for plants, but there is a creeping sedum with a beautiful lime green/yellow color that is lacy and pretty, and spreads nicely. It looks great next to every color of creeping phlox. Anybody know the name of it?

• Nigella
    20 years ago

I love Dissotis rotundifolia, lovely small, quilted leaves and a growing habit rather like Episcia. Large rose colored blooms. I finally found the right name, Nell.
    {{gwi:735377}}

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wow I didn't know that stuff bloomed!

• maryliz
    20 years ago

My favorite tiny plant? Veronicas--even the weedy types that pop up in lawns. Look at it with a magnifying glass or dissection scope and you're in for a real treat.

• woodviolet
    20 years ago

Definitely wooly thyme, it's fuzzy and tiny and just ....adorable! Makes a great addition to the border in the right spot.

• bluemirror
    20 years ago

My favorite tiny plant is annual sky blue lobelia...it is so pretty. also the regular darker blue lobelia. in fact, i would love to find 3 or 4 different colors of tiny flowering plants and make a miniature bright flower bed for the faeries to play in!.......bluemirror

• mrsflowers
    20 years ago

Mine are Quaker Ladies or another name for them are Bluets. The plants have very small leaves and stems that are about 3" tall with the most lovely blue flowers. They bloom all summer. I don't have a picture. If you do a web search, I'm sure you'll find them. And they're perennial!!

Lilly

• Talamorgan
    20 years ago

elfin thyme is positively miniscule, and coconut thyme isn't much bigger...but smells so yummy!

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

These are GREAT plants, I'm so glad to hear about all of them!

• akebono
    20 years ago

Viola verecunda var. yakusimana, or the smallest violet, with leaves less than a quarter inch wide--considerably smaller than its name.

• iamwhatiam52
    20 years ago

Aristolochia fimbriata.
    Tiny flowers look like alien beings.
    Got one from Plant Delights Nursery 4 or 5 years ago, and it't still going strong, plus seedlings are easy to grow.

• ocbird
    20 years ago

Fragrant wild violets.
    Wild strawberries.

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

corsican mint - smells refreshing!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:735375}}

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

Kingsville Dwarf Boxwood - great for bonsai

Here is a link that might be useful: dwarf boxwood

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

the world's smallest crepe myrtle - "Pocomoke"

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:735376}}

• smittee
    20 years ago

With out a doubt Corsican mint

• SnowOwlMoon
    20 years ago

Creeping Thyme and Corsican Mint! I have a Creeping Thyme that's variegated green and white (can't remember the variety name). Various sedums--Golden Acre is one of my favorites, as is Sedum oreganum. I love the miniature Daffodils--"Trevithian" and "Jack Snipe" are 2 of my favorites.

• taylor_tx
    20 years ago

baby's tears(helxine solereii), and corsican mint.
    Those are my two favorites, but I also really like the String of pearls-Senecio rowleyanus, and rosary vine-ceropegia woodii.

• lookingglassgarden
    20 years ago

I am a fan of all kinds of thyme. I think it is really ornamental and great with other flowers in containers. I also love Easter bonnet Alyssum.

• marie009
    20 years ago

Siningia pusilla. Over 30 years ago I got one (I don't recall where I got it) and planted it in a tiny bottle with a lid. It had tiny blue blossoms at the time. Some time later I discovered the soil was covered with what I thought was moss. No, that tiny plant had produced many teensy seedlings! I eventually lost the plant. But it was a real darling.

• rubyskies_oh
    20 years ago

labrador violet. Can't get enough of them. Pretty as a picture.

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sorry my web site is (and pictures are) no longer available. Still love these tiny plants, though.

I've got to add Fritillaria Meleagris to the list. What cute little bulbs! I have the reddish kind.

• gradymom
    19 years ago

forget-me-nots,lilly of the valley and sweet violets

• jiggreen
    19 years ago

TinyDancer Azalea..its the cutest tiniest azalea you'll ever see in your life...it's an indoor plant, comes in a tiny little 2 inch pot, and doesnt have to be repotted, because it never gets any larger! it looks like a normal outside azalea, but shrunk down to itsy bitsy. also, it blooms several times in a year.

• petsitterbarb
    19 years ago

Here's another vote for Elfin Thyme...and Corsican Mint, as well!

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    19 years ago

I have a favorite tiny combo...

Sedum makinoi 'Ogon' planted at the base of Ilex crenata 'Dwarf Pagoda'. The leaf shape and size is the same, but the sedum is golden and the Japanese Holly is dark green. They are both very compact with tightly layered foliage.

Sponsored