Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beigestonehill

desert island???

beigestonehill
20 years ago

First of all I think I found my forum reading down through some of the threads made me howl. I posted this question on 2 forums and did not get much of a response so now I am asking you guys. If you were stranded on a desert island with perfect growing conditions what 5 ornamental grasses would you want and what 5 daylilies would you want with you. Mind you, you have plenty to eat so you wont have to eat these plants or make shelters with them they will be there for your viewing pleasure.

Comments (7)

• jules7ky
    20 years ago

Hardy pampas grass (Erianthus or Ravenna grass), for sure! It's absolutely stunning when it blooms. I'd also like a porcupine grass (green with horizontal yellow banding), good old maiden grass (Miscanthus spp.), some type of blue grass (Heavy Metal?) and one of the dwarf types - Hamelin maybe, or the one they call "bunny tail". If it was a more tropical island, some purple pennisetum.

Oops. That's six. Oh, well!

I'm not a real daylily fanatic, but I think I'd like some of the old-fashioned "lemon liles" that came with my house... they have a darker-green leaf, lovely lemon-yellow flowers that are fragrant. I'd also like some little "Happy Returns", since they bloom all summer but are a true yellow rather than Stella-gold. Let's see... there are always about a half-dozen daylilies that turn my head when they bloom, but I don't remember the names. Prairie Blue Eyes, maybe? And maybe a pink from the "Siloam" gang. That's only four, but maybe my sixth grass will make up for it!

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Sorry, I'm not big on grasses or daylilies, lol. What I would surround myself with are begonias, I've become quite enamoured of them lately.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

I don't remember the names of the daylilies I have and like, just 'Happy Returns'! The grasses I love, love, love (5, right?) are: #1: 'Karl Foerster' Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis), Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' or 'Strictus', Panicum virgatum 'Rotstrahlbusch' (Red Switch Grass), variegated Oat Grass and a big Miscanthus such as 'Gracillimus' or floridulus.

• hemfan
    20 years ago

Here is my list for:
    Ornamental Grass
    1. Cortaderia 'Pumila' -- Pampas Grass
    2. Pennisetum Alopecuroides 'Moudry' -- Fountain Grass
    3. Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' -- Feather Reed Grass
    4. Hakonechloa 'Aureola' -- Hakone Grass
    5. Ophiopogon 'Nigrescens'--Black Mondo Grass
    Daylilies
    1. Spacecoast Starburst, Kinnebrew '98
    2. Helix, Stamile '02
    3. Marry Lightfine, Norris '02
    4. Cobalt Dawn, Stamile '02
    5. Age of Opululence, Kirchoff

• MissGardner
    20 years ago

bananas,aroid(giant borneo)
    huge bamboo grove (moso)
    canabis sativa?
    that huge water lilly..duh?
    cocoanut trees

• Mader631
    19 years ago

Marijuana, Poppys & Peyote. lol.

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

Yeah, I want to be stuck on that island with Mader and MissGardner.

Sponsored