Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stompinace32000

Ivy Identification

Stompinace32000
18 years ago

I have a cutting of a chartreuse green ivy and would love to know the name and characteristics of it. I took a cutting of a ground cover and it have it rooting in water within 4 days.

I would like to know if this is annual or perennial, how I can keep them over the winter, when to transfer the plant in what type of soil.

I also have tall gingko tree growing in my yard and not been successful in propagating. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• Stompinace32000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Trying to post a picture of the ivy ground cover. Hope it works. http://spaces.msn.com/members/Stompinace32001/

• Josh
    18 years ago

Stomp, your link didn't work but there are hundreds of cultivars of Hedera helix, plus other Ivies. I'm attaching a link you might enjoy browsing through. Most ivies root very easily in water or in a fastdraining soil kept moist, not soggy. Good light is necessary, and a weekly "shower" of leaves is good to keep dust and insect free. If grown inside cool temps are better...maybe in a north window?

If your Ivy is hardy in your area, and you still have a few weeks before frost, it would probably be fine planted outside now. Or to be certain of survival, wait til next spring. Perhaps you could obtain more cuttings and try a few out, a few inside.

I would imagine all ivies are deciduous perennials in your zone, and of course some would not be hardy. I'm assuming your ivy may lose leaves but return in spring (since you said it was growing as a groundcover there).

Sorry, but I know nothinng about Ginkgos except that they are magical in their golden fall foliage. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivies

• Stompinace32000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. I have found hedera colchica (persian ivy) that I thought was the closest match via the net. Right now, I have the cuttings in clear bottles, rooting, and seemingly thriving without the soil.

I have not put them in soil cause that means I will have to be in town to water the plants. At the moment, the weather is still nice and I take turn between the country and city house.

I am thinking that at the rate the plants seem to be thriving in water, I might not even put them in soil indoor, the whole of winter and take them out only in the spring.

I have a beautiful spot of rock garden (I have a corner lot) and I can just vision these chartreuse ivys cascading
    over the rocks into the green lawn. Right now, I have day lilies on each side of the rock garden and while they are pretty when in bloom, they become a nuisance and ugly in the fall.

Thanks again. I tried copy and pasting the webpage with the photos and it seems to work that way.

• Stompinace32000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ivy photo

• Josh
    18 years ago

Hi, you can grow your Ivy in water year round, just keep water topped up. Easy to take cuttings from it next spring to try outside. Glad you were able to identify it.

To post a link, type your reply, then scroll down past the "message" box and put your URL info in the box "Optional Link URL". Then in the "Name of Link" you can put "Ivy" or whatever. When you preview your message it's easy to click on the URL link yourself to be sure it works or correct if necessary. Then you click "preview message" again and your changes will show up, then click "Submit Message". Sounds more complicated than it is, I promise! josh